The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
Pie
Gone and done

Mystery garden

So, as many of you know, I have a new house. This house has a garden. A garden lovingly tended for many years by the previous owners. We moved into the house in January, when most plants were dormant. Now, spring is arriving and things are starting to wake up.

There are... things... blooming, growing, wanting to be fed. A very few of them, I recognize (Japanese Andromeda, daffodils, rhododendrons, azaleas, vinca, pachysandra. And lots of moss.) The rest are .

Tonight, I will post some pictures of what is out there. I hope to pull on the vast collective gardening experience of the Dwellars for identification and perhaps some advise.

Right now, I'll ask a shorter question:
What are the critical, can't-do-without gardening and yard maintenance tools?
We have about 0.2 acres, not much grass. Lots of trees, so lots of leaves. It's in Maryland, so that's hardiness zone 6, I think. My track record with gardening is spotty at best, so I'd like to keep it simple.

Last edited by Pie; 03-12-2009 at 10:41 AM. Reason: formatting
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
glatt

whatever tools you buy, I'd suggest finding a flea market or yard sale type place with used tools. Much better to buy a shovel or garden rake for $5 than $30, and when you are buying 6-8 tools it adds up. Garden tools last decades, so a used one is fine.

I mostly use a long handled shovel, garden rake, leaf rake, mattock (the best dirt digging tool imho. Get one with an axe one on side and adze/hoe on the other. It's great for cutting through roots as you dig. This is an awesome tool.), bypass loppers, pruning saw. I also have an extension pole saw that gets used every year to trim branches that get too close to our power lines while staying safely on the ground.

There's lots of other stuff you can buy that would be useful, but that's what I would start with.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

This is my favorite yard tool.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
Scriveyn
amnesic-confabulatory opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
... Right now, I'll ask a shorter question:
What are the critical, can't-do-without gardening and yard maintenance tools?
..., so I'd like to keep it simple.
A deckchair and a machete.
Scriveyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
This is my favorite yard tool.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
Pie
Gone and done

This is a vine climbing a trellis covering the dryer exhaust vent. It's also sorta-strangling the Japanese Andromeda next to it. It has little white pop-pom flowers (dried, from last year, apparently). Identification? Should I disentangle it from its prey, or let Darwinian selection rule the day?

Old 03-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
Pie
Gone and done

I dunno what this is. Big, vine-y thing, about 5 feet tall.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
Pie
Gone and done

What is this plant, and does it have a condition I should be worried about?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #9
Pie
Gone and done

Small, shrubby, don't know what it is.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
Pie
Gone and done

Lots of snowdrops everywhere.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #11
Pie
Gone and done

Sorry this is so washed out -- the plant in the foreground has purple flowers that are all hanging their heads. There's a white variety of the same flower elsewhere in the yard. The purple plant in the background looks like it's a goner. Is it?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:36 PM   #12
Pie
Gone and done

?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:38 PM   #13
Pie
Gone and done

Don't know if this dude is a relative of post #7's, but his leaves are much purple-er. He's trying to worm his way under the cedar shingles, so he may be coming out regardless of his species.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #14
Pie
Gone and done

...and finally, some of our fine moss. I've been thinking about encouraging this, rather than trying to plant grass where it obviously doesn't want to grow.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #15
jinx
Come on, cat.

I'm just guessing...

Post #6 looks like a Clematis, #7 looks like Honeysuckle, #9 looks like Forsythia, #14 has a big Hydrangea - my favorite.