The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #4051
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I am a dodo bird. I do better when I hang out in the cellar between processes.

I got interrupted on a process today and mis-entered ONE "savedlist" name and I have to reverse the damage manually, for each student. Luckily, it's ~130 instead of a much higher number as it easily could be.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #4052
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Ouch.

I had a silmilar problem today as yesterday - only one item available for lunch, and one which bore no resemblance to the menu. Where were the turkey enchiladas?!

So I had soup instead.

On the good news front, two other people raised my missing software query for me at a TA meeting. I was waiting for AOB on the agenda, but they stepped right in. Which makes it look like it's a bigger issue than it is

Also, it may already be in the process of being solved. A CD was presented to our itinerant IT chap after the Christmas break to put onto the server. It is likely to be what I am looking for. Yay.

Last edited by Sundae; 01-10-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #4053
infinite monkey

Soup is a standby here too! Well, their chili is good anyway. Salad today, though. I brought my own cottage cheese since they've been watering theirs down, or milking it down, and I hate dressing so I need the CC.

But my issue wouldn't be so bad: I don't mind the tedious work...it's just that any second now 84 students are going to be whining about. The others don't read their emails, luckily. Really, a lot of them pay no attention until you make a mistake. Then come the peasants with pitchforks. But eff it, I'm on lunch.

What is an AOB and a CD? I know TA and IT.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #4054
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Really, a lot of them pay no attention until you make a mistake. Then come the peasants with pitchforks. But eff it, I'm on lunch.
My long lost friend once forwarded an email on the a group of Doctors. GPs were notorious for not bothering to respond to emails, even when they were officially marked and responses were required and deadlines given. For example if booking a training session that needed individual work-packs and catering you had to assume 25% more would turn up than had responded.

Anyway, in this email, "Practise" was used where "Practice" would have been correct. How many replies did she get? Shedloads. From GPs she had never heard of before. Many of them terse, some bordering on bloody rude. It was only a minor consolation to her that she's only forwarded the thing, not written it, such was the level of vitriol expressed.
Quote:
What is an AOB and a CD? I know TA and IT.
Any Other Business (on an Agenda). Sorry, I thought that was in general usage. I have measured out my life in Minutes it seems.

CD as in Compact Disc. We call those things that go into 'puters CDs whether they have programs or music or photos on them. There might be a better term of course. Or I might just have been a bit acronym heavy and blown your mind
Old 01-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #4055
infinite monkey

Oh...no, CD I just wasn't thinking context.

I hadn't heard of AOB. We just have 'other'.

I'm having contextual issues. Where did my brain go? I saw a news article today about a body being found, with the picture of the dead man they think it belonged to. (Does that even make sense? Does a dead body belong to the dead person, who isn't a person anymore, really?)

I wondered who Body was (Bob Body? Tom Body? Richard Ulysses Body?), and why would I care?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #4056
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'll have to try to remember some of my classics.
They tend to involve not hearing things properly on the radio in the morning and in the shower (and in the nude come to that). Okay I might be a little hard of hearing, but like you say, context really should inform me.

Although I did not mishear Keith Vaz (Leicester MP) describing a situation as a "vicious circus" which is still amusing me even now.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #4057
infinite monkey

Oh yeah, I have a lot of those too. But I typically don't read things wrong. Like I read it as BOW-dy, not a short o, a long one!
Old 01-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #4058
infinite monkey

Jezus Bob, Clown Colleges need FA training.

It's like they don't have a CLUE how any of it works, and are subsequently expecting me to drop everything every time Susie Snotface flunks out of here and tries to go to Clown College of the Thieves of the Taxpayers.

You know how people have those stupid sayings that attach to every email? Usually it's some drivel that they got off some dumbass motivational poster. "A thousand tomorrows starts with the butterflies of yesterday's seeds you planted that flowered and then became the wings of the future."

Gag me. Anyway, I'm thinking of making an auto-attach of:

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #4059
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part
was prominently displayed in the admin office of the philosophy department where I was an undergrad, with a picture of a clock with the hands indicating 4.55.

Good words.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #4060
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I broke my glasses last night.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #4061
infinite monkey

Before and after (Only instead of books...arrowheads)
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #4062
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
That is too true. Thankfully I have near vision.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #4063
infinite monkey

I'm farsighted. I can see for miles and miles, but I can't see what's right in front of me without glasses anymore.

Used to have perfect vision. Damn old age. I can see why lifelong glasses wearers would want lasik. Glasses are a PITA!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #4064
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
That is too true. Thankfully I have near vision.
Wait a few years.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #4065
glatt

I have about a six inch depth of field that's about a foot from the tip of my nose. Anything closer is blurry, and anything farther is blurry. These new contacts are teh awesome though. They correct for both.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mild cheddar