The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
Coign
Wanted Driver

Dec 18, 2008: Road of Death

Since we were duped by the Disney IotD I figured I would post early for tomorrow and throw up a collection of real pictures.

I was recently sent these via e-mail so first had to check here to see if they were posted before and second to figure out where they were from. It seems they have not been posted before but another Cellar Dweller did put up an old link that allowed me to confirm back story on these.

Here is the old post that led me to the background.

Link

And now without further ado, here is the Bolivian Road of Death, North Yungas Road.

Quote:
This is the original article, as written by Avi Abrams in November, 2006.
All rights reserved, @ Ian Media.

Bolivia's "Road of Death"

North Yungas Road is hands-down the most dangerous in the world for motorists. If other roads could be considered impassable, this one clearly endangers your life. It runs in the Bolivian Andes, 70 km from La Paz to Coroico, and plunges down almost 3,600 meters in an orgy of extremely narrow hairpin curves and 800-meter abyss near-misses.

A fatal accident happens there every couple of weeks, 100-200 people perish there every year. In 1995 the Inter-American Development Bank named the La Paz-to-Coroico route "the world's most dangerous road."

Among the route there are many visible reminders of accidents, wreckages of lorries and trucks lie scattered around at the bottom...
Link