The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 09-27-2004, 11:31 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

9/27/2004: Beached pygmy whale calf

Sad one here. This is a pygmy whale calf, and it is dying here.
Too young to survive, unweaned, two of them beached themselves
in Palm Beach Florida, for unknown reasons. Ahead of the storm.

It was put down; the woman here is just trying to comfort it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 01:38 PM   #2
Pie
Gone and done

It even looks sad -- poor thing.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:41 PM   #3
chrisinhouston
Professor

Wink

Looks like 2 beached whales in that photo.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 02:45 PM   #4
mlandman
Coronation Incarnate

We have discovered the secret ingredient to Gatorade.
mlandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 03:11 PM   #5
Guess
What's my name? Guess

that picture is interesting in so many different ways
Old 09-27-2004, 03:52 PM   #6
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Now go to a major problem only recently discovered. Once whales could communicate maybe as much as half way across the ocean. But man is now dumping so much noise into the oceans that it already is known to cause damage to some whales brains. It is suspected that some noise sources are so loud that ocean mammals now become separated. This being especially problematic for the calves of whales who no longer can find their mother.

Most destructive is a new NATO sonar that is repeatedly suspected to cause mass beachings even 50 miles away. This frequency sonar is said to be the best sonar yet. However it uses the same frequencies that ocean mammals use - at power levels destructive to those animals. The Navy has agreed to limit their use of this sonar.

Other noise sources include noise created by new, larger ships. Yes, a secret to making shipping less costly is to produce less noise - put more energy into moving ships by producing less noise. However, ship technology is instead just producing more power for bigger ships. No major effort is known to reduce shipping noise on these larger ships. Dead mammals don't cost anything. Oil is still too cheap. Research and development costs money when MBAs are the primary decision makers.

And so we must ask why these whales are dying? Disease? Or man-made? The current thinking is that we cannot prove it is man-made. Therefore it must be from something else.

An old Star Trek story parodied the problem. Too many high warp spacecraft could disintegrate the fabric of space. There are always consequences to what we do. More power is never an ideal solution. Like it or not, the oceans are becoming a new treasured parkland that we must learn more about - or lose its benefits. Is this but a canary in the coalmine? Either we use science, or we do as George Jr does - consult the bible.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 07:26 PM   #7
Target
Fellow-Commoner

Whatever

Beachings or strandings as people in the industry call them have happened since before recorded time. There is no evidence it is more prevolent now than ever before and only heresay and questionable motives tie it to shipping.

It is true that certain frequency sonar does though and that frequency corresponds directly with the shockwaves created by an earthquake on the ocean floor though the range is miniscule in comparison.

Here is a well written article that discusses strandings and likely causes.
Quote:
Seaquakes yielding the equivalent of 1-kiloton are common in the backyard of whales -- about 10,000 magnitude 3.5 or greater events occur every year somewhere along the thousands of kilometers of mid-oceanic ridges where oceanic toothed whales and dolphins reside. In fact, in support of this theory, only the species that live in these seismically active waters mass strand themselves consistently.
Solo strandings such as this one may just be the result of an unintelligent creature making a poor decision when chasing prey too deep or ascending too fast.

Blaming man for any and all unexplained tragic natural phenomena is bunk. I'm sure it's possible to find someone to blame those 10,000 earthquakes on man also.
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 09:07 PM   #8
404Error
Lecturer

TW could probably find a way to blame George Jr. for them...
Old 09-27-2004, 10:42 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

George told me it's God's will.
Welcome to the Cellar, Target.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:48 PM   #10
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Anyone remember that famous vid a few years back where they tried to blow up the dead whale?

They could probably get the job done here with an m–80 or two.

But the whale does look sad. Who knows what happened?
Old 09-27-2004, 10:55 PM   #11
Target
Fellow-Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
George told me it's God's will.
Welcome to the Cellar, Target.

Thanks for the welcome.

I had to read your post twice because the first time I read it as;

God told me it's George Will.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:11 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Same thing, they're interchangeable.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:02 AM   #13
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Hey, here's an idea...whale beachings are both naturally occuring AND man-made! Just like global warming...

*puts that can of worms down and dives behind a blast wall*

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 09:12 AM   #14
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target
Solo strandings such as this one may just be the result of an unintelligent creature making a poor decision when chasing prey too deep or ascending too fast.

Blaming man for any and all unexplained tragic natural phenomena is bunk. I'm sure it's possible to find someone to blame those 10,000 earthquakes on man also.
An UNWEANED animal was chasing prey? Huh? And your use of the word "unintelligent" is a bit odd. Unintelligent according to who? We don't even know the half of what these animals are capable of.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 09:38 AM   #15
Target
Fellow-Commoner

Yeah I was going to use 'dumb' but that might offend some rednecks sisters.

Will you argue that people are more intelligent than whales? People do stupid things that cause themselves harm. Is it not imaginable that a creature of less intelligence might do the same thing?

Some animals that are considered to be highly intelligent kill their offspring. Is that a capability you have considered?