The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 04-21-2016, 10:39 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome to Old Age

I received my quarterly bill from the trashman. It's a postcard, perforated down the middle to send back half with payment and keep half as a receipt. This means I have to address an envelope, so being smarter than the average bear I figure I'll print a handful of envelopes to save myself from that tedious chore. The program I use to print envelopes doesn't list those 6½ x 3½ envelopes so it takes a little dicking around to get it right, then print a dozen envelopes, which should last me the rest of my life.

Reasonably pleased with myself, I write a check, stuff the envelope, smack a stamp on it, piece of cake. Having accomplished this I go to put the receipt and printed envelopes in my trashman folder. Golly goshes, Batman, what's this? Eleven preprinted envelopes which leads me to believe I did this three months ago.

When I got a heating oil bill a few days later, I checked for preprinted envelopes in the heating folder first, because I'm smarter than the average old man.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #2
glatt

I haven't seen this bill on a postcard BS.

If they want my money, they damn well better give me an envelope with a window so when I put the bottom torn off bit in there, the address shows through the window.

Smart idea with the pre-printed envelopes though.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:11 AM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The last bill I pay with checks is the landlord, and that's because I like having the extra days of breathing room in case the shit hits the fan.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #4
glatt

I'm POA for my cousin, and get tons of bills for him that I mail in. He's a stamp collector, and as a result, I have literally thousands of stamps I can use to mail bills back. Stamps that are worth less than face value because nobody wants them.

Speaking of that, did you know that you can go to a stamp collecting store and get unused US stamps for as low as 50% of face value? Not forever stamps, but first class stamps that no longer cover the cost of a letter. Mix and match to come up with the correct postage for less than the cost of a forever stamp. These stamp collectors mail all their stuff with old random stamps. It's kind of cool.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Dealing with local businesses, they usually don't even have a website, no less an alternate way to pay them. Some of the utilities in PA charge an extra fee for paying online or by phone.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:20 PM   #6
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

What Bruce said. I still pay a couple of mine through snail mail as they charge $3.50 or $10.00 to do it online. Screw that.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
...they charge $3.50 or $10.00 to do it online...
In a kind of reversal of that, RockAuto.com now charges a $10.00 surcharge to take an order over the phone.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:12 PM   #8
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

At least that makes sense.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:44 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Is that to order something for pick-up or delivered, Grav?
Old 05-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #10
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I think it's any order placed over the phone.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #11
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Name:  gettingold.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  46.2 KB

Name:  oldage.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  58.3 KB

Old 07-16-2016, 10:44 AM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Name:  getting old.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  25.9 KB

Old 07-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #13
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I like this thread.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote