The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Rhianne
Nearly done.

Great Performances

A companion thread to Ibby's 'Greatest Vocal Tracks' one.

Here it's not necessarily the best song, not necessarily the best singer, just fantastic performances.

I'll start by offering this from Bob Mould. Hoover Dam. I love it from the second he says "I'm Ready"...

Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianne View Post
...not necessarily the best song, not necessarily the best singer, just fantastic performances...
What she said.

Cover tune. Live. In front of Sir Paul McCartney. And Barry. The band is fabulous, whoever they are. I happened to catch this on PBS when it aired, and it blew me away.

Dave Grohl with 'Band On The Run'. (Go w/the high quality version, if you got the bandwidth.)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

George Harrison's induction to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Dhani Harrison - George Harrison's son, and, for the life of me I can't recall the gentleman w/the golf cap playing the Stratocaster (help me, here) to Lynne's right, Steve Winwood, others, and Prince.

What? That's right, Prince. The man delivers the performance of his life with the guitar solo at the end of 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' (originally performed by Eric Clapton, btw).

If you watch it, watch it all way to the end.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
...and, for the life of me I can't recall the gentleman w/the golf cap playing the Stratocaster (help me, here) to Lynne's right...
After not a little research, I believe the man's name is Marc Mann.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:48 AM   #5
Ibby
erika

Quote:
George Harrison's induction to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Dhani Harrison - George Harrison's son, and, for the life of me I can't recall the gentleman w/the golf cap playing the Stratocaster (help me, here) to Lynne's right, Steve Winwood, others, and Prince.

What? That's right, Prince. The man delivers the performance of his life with the guitar solo at the end of 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' (originally performed by Eric Clapton, btw).

If you watch it, watch it all way to the end.

gravdigr, you and i have a LOT of disagreements
but the fact that you pulled up this video
of Prince ROCKING THE FUCKING BALLS OFF While My Guitar Gently Weeps
TEARING CLAPTON A NEW ONE and PROVING that white-ass appropriative assholes ain't got shit on the black men who INVENTED the shit they steal

and then THROWING HIS GUITAR INTO THE AUDIENCE
and just FUCKIN WALKING OFF cause he dont give a fuck
as one of the greatest performances in history

definitely wins you back at least a handful of points in my book

by FAR the BEST hall-of-fame tribute cover EVER rocked on the Rock Hall's stage

(also can i just say, god-fucking-damn, Mr. Nelson may be a couple decades past his prime, but goddamn that there is still a mighty attractive man even beyond a mighty impressive musician)
Old 01-03-2013, 02:55 AM   #6
Ibby
erika

my off the cuff vote goes to the SUPER DISTURBING live video of the Violent Femmes' masterpiece Add It Up. Gordon Gano might win my "creepiest rocker" award (watch his fuckin eyes. there is no humanity behind them):
Old 01-03-2013, 04:59 AM   #7
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
white-ass appropriative assholes ain't got shit on the black men who INVENTED the shit they steal
They didn't steal it. They adopted and absorbed it. The black artists can still use it. Nobody took it away.

You have just dismissed out of hand the genuine talent and emotional connection of many musicians and artistes simply on the grounds of their colour.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:08 AM   #8
DanaC

A clip from the film Cableguy, as Carey's character performs Somebody to Love a la Jefferson Airplane's Woodstock performance.

I probably should post the original as a stunning performance, but this is what's been going round my head. I just think Carey nails it.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

that was awesome----both, natch the Guitar Gently Weeps (Prince, you devilish genius!) and Jim Carey----I loved it when he sang "Don't you want somebody to love....let's go for an answer ....yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!"

So many great performers. You just don't know where to begin.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
DanaC

I said Woodstock there, but it wasn't was it?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I said Woodstock there, but it wasn't was it?

I honestly don't know. ok, one of you Rock Gods-----which was it --- Altamont or Woodstock. Jim Carey says Alamont....

Ibby-that's not lack of humanity behind those eyes----it's addition of amphetamines.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Last edited by Trilby; 01-03-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #12
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Nowhere near the Prince masterpiece but I still like this from Mr. Buckingham:

http://youtu.be/mZZp76M4NGc

—James Barrie

Old 01-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
gravdigr, you and i have a LOT of disagreements...
Well, at least we agree on something.

When Prince threw his axe up in the air (and it didn't come down) and strutted, strutted, offstage, I almost started yelling about the inappropriateness of it on such an occasion, but after such a performance, I just said "Strut, motherfucker. You earned it."

And, while I ain't about to change teams or anything, I'm comfortable enough with myself that I'll even agree that Prince is still a fairly handsome man.

Although most of us would be better looking while standing next to Tom Petty...

Last edited by Gravdigr; 01-03-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Lindsey Buckingham's voice just ain't what it used to be, but DAYUM the man can still bend a guitar string.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #15
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Lindsey Buckingham's voice just ain't what it used to be, but DAYUM the man can still bend a guitar string.
yes. Yes he can. And he can bend me anytime he wants.

—James Barrie