Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-21-2002, 07:48 PM   #31
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by slang

Would you point me to some background on the thought that the founding fathers were in favor of convicting 1000 innocent men rather than let one guilty man go free?
The only time I've ever heard it phrased that way was in the context of a joke ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 07:49 PM   #32
Nic Name
retired

I think Bitman was being sardonic. He's making a point with humor. Don't heckle him.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 07:54 PM   #33
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

good, then I havent lost my mind.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 07:56 PM   #34
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by slang
good, then I havent lost my mind.
I wouldn't go so far as to say THAT just yet ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 08:48 PM   #35
Nic Name
retired

Elements of Style

There's been an increasing level of chatter in the threads taking exception to unorthodox "punctuation' and illogical
paragraph structure,
not to mention vociferous disagreement about how words should be spelt or weather spelling matters atoll.

As the Cellar has grown in membership, it is natural that the community should grow in diversity. However, some have argued that we must all speak the same language to be clearly understood.

There is no debate that such a language should be English (or what passes for English in Philadelphia) as a minimum standard. However, German or Spanish may be attempted in User-hosted Forums or sigs.

It's often difficult to be sure how to express oneself without fear of being whacked with the nearest post if an error becomes evident.

This is not a mute point. I will be heard.

It's not Cellar style to be bound by rules that Strunk in 1918. Free students may follow the Standard of Style from The Free Student, which make sense IMHO... and it's a publication that contains other good articles about politics, as well.

Editor's note: Anyone who is humourously challenged can be assured that I am only pulling your leg.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:01 PM   #36
Cairo
Coronation Incarnate

Hi Nic Name,
Sorry for the delayed response....had to sleep and work.
I never said public information would have judicial boundries, why would it? I can access public information without a Judges approval.
Private information will not be in the database at all. Example: Banking information is private, if the Feds wish to look at your bank accounts, they will have to go to a Judge with evidence or probable cause. Just as they do now...are you implying that the Judges and procedure we follow right now are unconstitutional or cow-tow to the Agencies? See? Nothing will be changed with regards to private information, but everything will be changed with regards to public information.
Example: Professor Sami Al Arian, the old separate databases couldn't track and recognize him until after they had his name, with the streamlined one database flag system he would have been recognized before they knew of him, and a Judges order could have tracked him to other terrorists.
As for Padilla? I know he's not on our streets making and planting dirty bombs!

The biggest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the World that he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze
Cairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 11:13 PM   #37
Cairo
Coronation Incarnate

No, my argument is that I can access anyone's public information and fight terrorism better than the Agencies who's job is to fight terrorism!
Seems to me, your ilk are more fond of Tribal Law(hiding the terrorists) than Democracy(the people's will).

Far Right? I wish!.....I am pro-choice. I believe that the other life in that body should have the choice to live or die. *wink and a smile*

The biggest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the World that he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze
Old 11-21-2002, 11:24 PM   #38
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Just remember Cairo...we live in a republic, not a democracy.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 11:31 PM   #39
Cairo
Coronation Incarnate

Thanks for the welcome slang. This is a very nice place to debate. During the hot and heavy exchanges, can I hold you to that welcome? LOL...

Keyser Soze
Old 11-21-2002, 11:42 PM   #40
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by Cairo
Thanks for the welcome slang. This is a very nice place to debate. During the hot and heavy exchanges, can I hold you to that welcome? LOL...

You got a source for the McVeigh Padilla connection? I know I saw that many places and I'll be damned if I can find anything on it now, not even a retraction. I think John Ashcroft is suppressing information again.

You have my welcome so long as you don't break into the electronic files that have the notes of me scatching in "a suspicious way"
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 11:53 PM   #41
Cairo
Coronation Incarnate

Hi wolf,
If our Government is supposed to be REactive to safety and protection issues, we are in BIG trouble! You are advocating that our Government should not do anything until another 3,000 civilians are dead! That's exactly what the terrorists are hoping for, makes their "duty" to kill "the infidel" much easier!

BTW, if Agents take your red flagged reading preferences to a Judge as evidence or probable cause to track you further, they would be laughed out of the courtroom...and the Agents know this!
Having a subscription to "High Times" has never been evidence to a Judge.

Keyser Soze
Old 11-22-2002, 01:16 AM   #42
Cairo
Coronation Incarnate

Hi slang,
My bad, I meant to type Terry Nichols was married to Lana Padilla, Jose Padilla's sister...
It's a Nichols-Padilla connection.

http://www.lvrj.com/lvrj_home/1997/N...s/6457168.html

Keyser Soze
Old 11-22-2002, 01:46 AM   #43
Nic Name
retired

Cairo,

It is noted here that Lana Padilla told the Wall Street Journal that she was not aware of having any relation to Jose Padilla.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A final note: Much has been made of the fact that Terry Nichols was married at one point to a woman named Lana Padilla. Lana Padilla acquired that surname — a common name — through a subsequent marriage. There is no known relation between Lana Padilla (who gained the surname by marriage) and Jose Padilla, according to Lana Padilla, quoted in the Wall Street Journal on June 17, 2002.

Cairo, can you please show us where you discovered that Lana Padilla is Jose Padilla's sister?
Old 11-22-2002, 11:25 AM   #44
juju
no one of consequence

Re: Elements of Style

Quote:
Originally posted by Nic Name
It's often difficult to be sure how to express oneself without fear of being whacked with the nearest post if an error becomes evident.
I'm not trying to attack anyone, it was just a helpful suggestion. Also, I was thinking, perhaps it's something that only looks bad in 1280x1024 resolution. If that's the case, I can see how you'd think I was being nitpicky.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 12:13 AM   #45
jaguar
whig

Cairo: Does the name Macarthy ring a bell?
When patriotism rules the roost you don't need to convict someone to destroy them. Secondly i haven't read the bill myself but if the data is automatically collated therfore a judge's apporval would nto be needed to access it would it?