The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #76
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Plus it's useful in DeepLeap when you have the dreaded C and U.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #77
Meursault
Cantankerous Incantonator

actually, i'v seen female genitalia referred to by the words 'cunnus' and 'cunnie' in a few latin texts, and may even have seen a similiar word, like "kunsos" or something, in greek. i wouldn't be surprised if this one goes back to indo-european. if i had access to books right now i'd try seeing if there were a similar word in an indian language perhaps....
Old 04-30-2009, 12:20 PM   #78
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
this one (dare I call her?) woman I know calls it her "peachy."

I LOVE the word cunt. It is a most spectacular word and has been hijacked by an ungrateful and brutish society. Said right, it's a very sexy word.
*Nods emphatically*
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #79
DanaC

Quote:
CUNNING; to know, possessing a practical skill, able, skilful, clever, possessing a magical knowledge
1874 "I threatened to prosecute the village CUNNING WOMAN whose herbal knowledge and other wisdom continued to be held in high esteem by the villagers" (Silbury 112)
Note that the author himself does not hold the woman in high esteem.The villagers hold her in high esteem. He is using the word 'cunning' in its perjorative sense: her knowledge and wisdom is of a dangerous and immoral form. It is not the virtuous learning of an educated man, rather it is the depths to which a woman can sink if her passions and natural proclivities are not contained. By 1874 there had already been at least 100 years of holding up 'cunning' as one of the vices women naturally tend to if not given a proper education. The lower-orders also, were considered to have 'cunning' naturally.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:24 AM   #80
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
Cuntankerous - Crotchety.

Boom Boom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meursault View Post
actually, i'v seen female genitalia referred to by the words 'cunnus' and 'cunnie' in a few latin texts, and may even have seen a similiar word, like "kunsos" or something, in greek. i wouldn't be surprised if this one goes back to indo-european. if i had access to books right now i'd try seeing if there were a similar word in an indian language perhaps....
From memory, I've read that cunt is derived from latin, Cunare, meaning wedge, and this is the root (ahem) for cunnilingus, the application of the tounge to said area.
I was a bit puzzled though, I guess the pubic hair is vaguely wedge shaped, but I don't see much wedgeiness in the vulva/vagina itself. (I'll have to look into it more closely!)
I can understand, however, cunare meaning wedge being related to cunning, meaning clever/effective. Splitting, lifting or whatever is often made easier by use of a wedge. And golf.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:50 AM   #81
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Whatever you call it here's how to pierce it. Obviously NSFW!
Old 05-01-2009, 07:23 AM   #82
Cloud

the one I really can't stand is "vajajay"

blecch
Old 05-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #83
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Whatever you call it here's how to pierce it. Obviously NSFW!
I didn't watch it, but just the presence of the word "amateur" in the filename make me cringe.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #84
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That just means it was submitted by a reader of the site, rather than coming from another site.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #85
Meursault

dana: "Note that the author himself does not hold the woman in high esteem.The villagers hold her in high esteem."
actually, if you're gonna nitpick, it's worth noting that the quote says that the woman's "knowledge and wisdom" were held in high esteem by the villagers. i can have great esteem for my doctor's skills and still think she's an ass.
zen: my own memory is often wrong. i definitely recall seeing "cunni" used as a slang term somewhere tho, and it seemed to carry a slightly vulgar tone.
and, since i personally used to call a gf's pubic region in general "the triangle" i can fully understand "the wedge". yeah, this was mainly based on the natural shape of the pubes, and also just kind of the shape of that fine area, where the planes of her hips and perfectly flat stomach converged to point to the promised land....

<...sigh>
Old 05-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #86
DanaC

Yes, her knowledge and wisdom is held in high esteem by the villagers, but his designation of her particular kind of knowledge as 'cunning' is heavily imbued with significance. It could only be, in the gendered semiotic of eighteenth and nineteenth-century British culture. It is perjorative in the same way sinister is. Sinister is perjorative because of it's association with left-handedness and homosexuality; cunning is perjorative because of its feminine associations. The culture that produced that tag had spent a century and more reducing female wisdom's cultural status to something less rational or relevant than male wisdom: 'cunning' despite his other references to knowledge and wisdom is 'untutored' and 'natural' ie. female; and potentially dangerous.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #87
Meursault

it's 'pejorative' btw

i'm wondering if 'cunning' mightn't also be related to 'ken' (which sounds scottish to me, but i don't have a proper dictionary around..)
Old 05-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #88
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

kennen ... German, "to know" in the sense of to be familiar with, to be acquainted with (as opposed to factual knowledge).
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #89
DanaC

Ta for the spelling lesson :P
Old 05-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #90
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas View Post
kennen ... German, "to know" in the sense of to be familiar with, to be acquainted with (as opposed to factual knowledge).
Could well be a connection then. Both are informal types knowledge.