Old 08-13-2003, 04:04 PM   #32
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

A doni's what?:p
Old 08-14-2003, 05:30 PM   #33
headsplice
Relaxed

*smack*

Bruce, that was like daggers in my brain.

Daggers.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:44 AM   #34
BobB
Kinda New Member

The current Legislature in dominated by special interests — trial lawyers and labor unions — that benefit from the current oppressive workers’ compensation system. Court decisions have made it easy to get into the system by hugely stretching the meaning of "work-related" as applied to injuries. Lots of uninjured people are making money from the system. Not an environment for business.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:27 PM   #35
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome to the Cellar, BobB.
Yes workman's comp is screwed up. Some people a fleecing the system and some people are getting screwed. The apparent general incompetency of the people that run it seems to be at the root of the problem. In fairness to them though, I don't know how they're hamstrung in trying to do their jobs.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:44 AM   #36
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

On the campaign trail, traditionally, making any personal statement about your opponent is considered really, really bad form. More people will lose respect for you and not vote for you, than will be persuaded to vote for you.

So today they report that Arnie said on talk radio:

It's like one newspaper pointed out, Bustamante is Gray Davis with a receding hairline and a mustache. It's the same person. Same philosophy.

It's pretty minor, but Arnie just put down his opponents' looks. I'm guessing he can't get away with that any more than any other pol can. I would smack his wrist and tell him, bad candidate, no power bar today.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:50 AM   #37
Griff
still says videotape

Does anyone know where the "Your Papa was a Nazi!" story came from? It seems the gloves are off out there.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:27 AM   #38
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Haven't read a whole lot into it, but as I understand it, Arnie's dad was a member of the Nazi party. However, the Simon Wiesenthal Center cleared his dad of any wrongdoing/atrocities.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 03:30 PM   #39
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The Nazi party was the popular and dominant party, after all, for a long time before this little old World War faux pas.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:33 AM   #40
warch
lurkin old school

Remember: Dont mention the war.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 04:35 PM   #41
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Here, Griff.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 06:07 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 11:21 PM   #42
LUVBUGZ
Not aging gracefully.

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
On the campaign trail, traditionally, making any personal statement about your opponent is considered really, really bad form. More people will lose respect for you and not vote for you, than will be persuaded to vote for you.

So today they report that Arnie said on talk radio:

It's like one newspaper pointed out, Bustamante is Gray Davis with a receding hairline and a mustache. It's the same person. Same philosophy.

It's pretty minor, but Arnie just put down his opponents' looks. I'm guessing he can't get away with that any more than any other pol can. I would smack his wrist and tell him, bad candidate, no power bar today.
I preface this post by saying that I don't pay much attention to politics because I figure no matter who's in charge I'm gonna get screwed anyway (NO comment required Bruce:p ). So, my opinion may be representative of the ignorant voter's.

I'm considering voting for Arrrnald, not solely based on this comment, but I was thinking the same thing. Why would anyone want to vote for Bustamante when he's been there w/ Davis and has gone along w/ Davis so far. What makes anyone think anything would be different w/ Bustamante as governor?

Arnie may not be that skilled as a politician, but I think that's part of the reason why people will vote for him. Because he isn't your typical blood-sucking politician. Hopefully, if he does get elected (assuming the recall goes through), he will at least be smart enough and rich enough (so it won't come out of my pocket) to surround himself w/ people who will know how to guide and direct him so he can, maybe, make at least some positive changes for California.

Mama Loves You Baby Girl ~ May You Rest In Peace

Last edited by LUVBUGZ; 08-27-2003 at 11:23 PM.
LUVBUGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 08:31 AM   #43
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Did you vote in the gubernatorial election last November?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 10:53 AM   #44
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Separately, I was browsing around yesterday and found that the Libertarian Party of California has failed to run a candidate in this circus, but they are endorsing the Smoker Party candidate who is running on, amongst other things, smoker's rights.

The LP of CA was once the star in the party's roster. Our boy Radar's words to the contrary, it's almost dead now. Stick a fork in the LP, it is done.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:46 AM   #45
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Separately, I just watched Bustamante, live, pick his defining issue and it's very, very, very, very, very important that this man never be elected dog catcher, much less Governor.

Bustamante (roughly): Gas prices are higher in California than in most of the nation even though we have refineries. We are being gouged. They're using every excuse in the book to raise prices. I recommend changing the state constitution to make gasoline a public utility. Then we can control the prices.

If this man wins, start building houses in Vegas and Reno. Hell, start building houses in Philly too, because the East Coast is going to be the West Coast of the 2000s.

California has the third-highest gas TAXES in the USA.