The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 10-20-2009, 01:03 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oct 20, 2009: Electric Locomotive

From the early 1800s to the mid 1900s the custom built steam locomotive was king.
It was replaced by cheaper to make and service, cookie cutter diesel locomotives.
Whereas on the steam locomotives steam drove the wheels, on newer locomotives, diesel engines drove a generator,
making electricity to power electric motors, that actually turned the wheels.
Sound familiar? Hybrid cars?

The Norfolk Southern Railroad had a better different idea... batteries.

Quote:
Norfolk Southern today unveiled the latest in alternative energy locomotive technology at its Juniata* Locomotive Shop in Altoona, Pa. NS 999 is a prototype 1,500-horsepower switching locomotive that relies solely on rechargeable batteries for power.
* pronounced June-E-At-Uh

Quote:
NS 999 is an entirely electric locomotive that uses a lead-acid energy storage system comprised of 1,080 12-volt batteries to operate in railroad switching applications without the use of a diesel engine and with zero exhaust emissions. The plug-in locomotive also can regenerate dynamic braking energy through a system provided by Brookville Equipment Company. The recovered dynamic braking energy continually replenishes the energy storage system, and uses this recovered energy for tractive effort in rail operations. The batteries are carefully monitored and controlled through an elaborate battery management system to assure safety and maximum battery life, and when fully charged NS 999 is able to operate three shifts before recharging is required.
Of course this being a switching engine, used for sorting and jockeying railcars around, it's never far from the yard.
It was built with $1.3 million obtained by Congressman Bill Shuster, the ranking Republican on the Railroads Subcommittee.

link
Old 10-20-2009, 04:51 AM   #2
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Can I get Congressman Shuster to buy me one with your money?
Old 10-20-2009, 05:08 AM   #3
SPUCK
Professor

That actually makes a lot of sense. Since most the cars are just moved around on level ground, if they actually slow the cars back down instead of coasting them, they would get most of the acceleration energy back. Only losses would be due to efficiency. The efficiency would be around 90%.

Now the good senator needs to add 50 flat cars with solar panels!
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:47 AM   #4
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
and with zero exhaust emissions
... unless the electricity used to charge the batteries comes from a fossil-fuel burning power plant ... even if it is so, this is likely to produce less emissions by eliminating idling, and by the regeneration business.
Therefore toot toot!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
Warren Peas
Dog O'Nine Tails

http://www.trainweb.org/greengoats/
These guys tried and failed to produce and market the concept. Company didn't come out of the recession.
Warren Peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
Adak
Lecturer

No emissions from lead-acid batteries?? What about from the power plant that's charging them?

There are new much cleaner burning developments in diesel engines that could have been incorporated, but oh no, we're going to go "green extreme". Whether it makes any sense, or not.

I can hear the telephone conversation now:

"I'm calling back to see what you think about our new no emissions locomotive - isn't it a marvel?

And don't forget out special deal on emergency umbilical cords, on every marvel-motive we sell this month!"

"I manage 10,385 miles of converging rail lines leading into Indy, 24 hours a day. I don't have time to play with your toy engine that requires 10 hours to recharge, after every 24 hours of work. And no, I don't need an emergency extension cord, 500 miles long!"

"We call them 'umbilical cords' because that makes them sound so natural and earth-friendly, and ..."

"Click"

"Hello? Hello?"
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:47 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Peas View Post
http://www.trainweb.org/greengoats/
These guys tried and failed to produce and market the concept. Company didn't come out of the recession.
But they're hybrids aren't they?
Old 10-21-2009, 01:16 AM   #8
Slight
Semi-Evil Genius

inverted green satanic foam

Last edited by Slight; 10-21-2009 at 01:19 AM. Reason: emmmm, satan?
Slight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:17 AM   #9
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I liked this best:

Quote:
6. Foamer:

A person who either:
A. Calls someone a Foamer, for simply disagreeing with them.
B. Cares enough about the fact that someone might think they are a foamer that they would make an exclamation that they are not a foamer
or C. Purposely acts in a certain way for the purpose of not being considered a foamer.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
lupin..the..3rd
Belt Conveyor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
There are new much cleaner burning developments in diesel engines that could have been incorporated, but oh no, we're going to go "green extreme". Whether it makes any sense, or not.
x2, modern diesel engines are where its at. They're so clean now that diesel cars hold 8 of the top 10 "top 10 green cars" awards in the UK for 2009. Lowest exhaust pollutants and lowest carbon footprint.

And that doesn't even take into consideration the huge fuel efficiency advantage you get with a diesel, a locomotive diesel in particular. The gasoline engine in your average passenger car is around 33% efficient. That means 33% of the energy in the gasoline is turned into motion to make the car go. (The other 67% is lost as heat, and exhaust).

A hybrid gasoline car is about 35% efficient. A modern diesel car is about 41% efficient. The efficiency king however, is a modern diesel locomotive, like the GE Evolution, which is an amazing 50% efficient! There is no other internal combustion vehicle in the world that even comes close.
lupin..the..3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I would think the Diesel locomotive has an advantage, unlike cars, in that so little of it's running time is unladen. It has to be more efficient when it's working.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #12
TheDaVinciChode
Chews Food Coming In, And Going Out

The most eco-friendly form of transportation... is walking... bare-foot.

That'll give you the lowest carbon footprint, of all.

--

Also, xoxoxoBruce: The pen is mightier than the sword, whilst actions speak louder than words, because a strongly-worded letter (action + pen) will do more for your cause, than yelling like a mad-man whilst brandishing a sword (word + sword!)

I hope I've cleared your confusion.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:02 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaVinciChode View Post
The most eco-friendly form of transportation... is walking... bare-foot.

That'll give you the lowest carbon footprint, of all.
Wrong, all those band-aids and their packaging, not to mention peroxide and it's plastic bottles, would create a landfill crisis.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:10 PM   #14
TheDaVinciChode
Chews Food Coming In, And Going Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Wrong, all those band-aids and their packaging, not to mention peroxide and it's plastic bottles, would create a landfill crisis.
Only if you're a clumsy walker.