The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 03:32 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Is anyone looking for a job?

My company is looking for team leaders. If you get hired and stay for 6 months, I will get $900 and the Cellar will get $100.

We develop software for major banks and the company has been very stable (and expanding) for the 3 1/2 years I've been here. To the best of my knowledge, we've never laid off anyone competent. There have been cases where the line between laid off and fired for cause is murky. We have about 300 employees and have been around for 25 years. We're privately held, which means no forced layoffs to appease investors. The work is banking, which is not very exciting, and very few people have heard of us even though our loan system is in use by most of the top 100 banks. I cannot promise excitement or personal fulfillment, only decent work and a paycheck.

I know at least a few Cellarites who are qualified technically, but I'm not sure about how many have experienced the joys of project management.

If anyone is interested, e-mail me at richlevy@home.com.

Job Title: Team Leader - 2 positions
Team: Xpress
Date Posted: 09/20/2001
Employment Status: Full time Exempt Status: Exempt

Job Description:
As a premier provider of software, support, process automation, and decision support services to the largest US financial institutions, AFS is seeking individuals for consideration in a position as a Team Leader.

This person will be responsible for
(1) Interface with clients, internal business staff and senior developers to gather requirements and translate into design specifications.

(2) Assist application development manager to plan completion estimates and monitor status of development tasks in progress.

(3) Execute unit and integration testing.

(4) Conduct code reviews

Job Requirements:
Candidates for this position must have 3 years of experience in Developing distributed applications using Visual Basic, DCOM and MTS, HTML, JAVA and XML and 2 years of experience in Software development management and have the following skills:

Experience with full life cycle application development (Analysis, Design, Implementation, and Testing) developing distributed application using Visual Basic, COM/DCOM, MTS and SQL Server. Good speaking and presentation skills are a must.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 09-20-2001, 03:47 PM   #2
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Heh! When I was last unemployed (last October), I narrowed my job search down to offers from two companies. One of them was AFS.

The other company made a tempting offer first, or I might be there now.

jeff. small world!
Old 09-20-2001, 04:05 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Rich, I'm back on the job market with experience in Unix system mgmt, Linux, Internet development w/ PHP + SQL, and much much more so if you (or anyone else) has needs in that arena, lemme know... thx.

The IT job hunt is extremely bizarre right now. Very few people, it seems, understand that the quality of person is so much more important than any particular skill set. I'm expecting less than a page's worth of positions in this upcoming Philly Inquirer, which is entirely ridiculous...
Old 09-20-2001, 05:05 PM   #4
lisa
Etherial

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Very few people, it seems, understand that the quality of person is so much more important than any particular skill set
That has, in my experience, been true for a long time. I remember in looking for jobs, I was turned down because I didn't have 2 years experience with something like "version blah-blah of so-and-so's particular C compiler."

I have, therefore, made a point of NOT hiring people based on their experience with the particular tools that we are using, but rather their ability to think and learn.
Old 09-21-2001, 02:00 PM   #5
dave

Yo Tony -

Might want to take a look at SAIC. http://www.saic.com - we have a *ton* of locations, and we're hiring. We're privately held (employee ownership, baby), and *all* the people I know here are good decent human beings. We hire mainly on "what will you bring to the company?" and not "I see you have 37 years experience with blahblah C compiler."

One of the cool things about SAIC is that we operate like a ton of small businesses under a big umbrella. I guess this is probably true of a lot of big businesses, but like... my division, we have our own little things that we do, and we just do those. We don't get funding from above - the profit we make, we keep. It's pretty slick.

I was 19 when I started working here (in February - 20 as of July). I came from Pizza Hut. My strengths were Linux, six years experience (at home) networking and my personality. And that's what did it. I came in, I interviewed for 4 hours with 3 different people... and they made me an offer. Although I'm getting paid more than I was offered anywhere else, I hear that SAIC's pay, all around, isn't the highest you'll find - but it's very competitive and decent.

I just looked real quick, and we have 21 openings in PA. So who knows, one might be for you. We're bigger in San Diego and Northern Virginia (where I am) - we have over 1,000 openings in NOVA alone. Anyway, might be worth your while to check us out and take a look.

Old 09-21-2001, 02:44 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Appreciate it! I'll check it out.
Old 09-21-2001, 03:11 PM   #7
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

These are times when I wish I had the computer background. I could really use a new job right now.
Old 09-21-2001, 05:55 PM   #8
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

Tony-

How do you feel about routers? You ever dabble with Cisco IOS and BGP? I know a guy up in King of Prussia who's screaming for help...

Mike
Old 09-21-2001, 07:33 PM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Welp, I *have* one - a Cisco, 1600 series - but I don't really get to do all that much with it. The setups I've had to deal with at previous places have been all too standard. IOS is simple, routing is simple, BGP I've seen in use but never configured myself.

If he's *really* desperate, and it's something I would go for, we could go halfsies on a CCIE boot-camp or something. I've been considering going to such a place on my own if nothing else turns up.
Old 10-19-2001, 05:25 PM   #10
mad_carder
Kinda New Member

Networking

I have worked for Cisco Systems for the last 5 years and i am having probs finding another job any place with all the stuff going on in the industry, i WANT to get back east someplace, preferably redneck country :p ie: atlanta but really anyplace back there would be great, i just can not handle being in "mormonville" any more.
Closed Thread