The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 04-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #61
glatt

Yes. And those officials aren't saying that to protect the US beef industry.

When you only test less than a hundredth of one percent of the animals, you can't credibly say anything about the safety of the US bovine population.

How crazy is it that they are finding any infected cows? I mean, when you test as little as they do, you would expect them to find nothing. But they keep popping up! How many more cases are out there that they never find?

Last edited by glatt; 04-25-2012 at 12:37 PM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #62
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I understand the justation period in humans is 10 - 15 YEARS.
I guess we'll know more then. Then again if the Mayans are right there is nothing to worry about.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #63
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I understand the justation period in humans is 10 - 15 YEARS.
I guess we'll know more then. Then again if the Mayans are right there is nothing to worry about.
I'm sorry. Really. I am.

Justation? Is that like when someone has a baby with Justin Bieber?
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #64
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
Most cattle slaughtered are 24 months old and under it is IMPOSSIBLE for them to have BSE. The disease has at least a 5-7 year incubation. That's why more are not tested. They only test OLD and sick appearing animals and most OLD and sick animals are in fertilizer.
You edited your post, so I'll respond to it. I believe every word of this. Can't argue with it at all. It's true. But notice that you said "most" and not "all." Dairy cows are typically slaughtered at much older ages, and they are often turned into hamburger and fed to people. And while it's true that the animals that they test are mostly old and sick, just because an animal is old or sick doesn't mean it gets tested. They don't do enough testing for that to happen. And while sick downer cows don't enter the human food supply, old dairy cows that can still stand up often enter the human food supply.

Nirvana, I'm what you would call a customer. I love beef. And I'm telling you that I don't eat beef any more because there are too many loopholes for BSE to make it into the human food supply. I was pleased that the rules changed in 1997 to make things safer, and odds are that any beef I eat will be just fine. But there is no guarantee. This newly discovered cow is proof that a BSE contaminated cow can still make it into the human food supply. If this dairy cow wasn't quite so far gone that it was a downer cow, it would have been slaughtered and ground into hamburger. Fortunately that didn't happen. The farmer didn't decide to send it off to the rendering facility until after it got sick. But if he decided just a month earlier, when symptoms hadn't shown up yet, then that cow would be in somebody's stomach.

It's been 15 years since the laws changed, and BSE shouldn't be showing up any more. I really want to know how old that most recent cow was. If it was 16 years old, then everything is cool. But if it was 3 years old, then we have a problem, and we need to identify how it got infected so it won't happen again.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #65
Nirvana
Back in 10

Glatt you really should read the articles you post. The cow was affected with ATYPICAL BSE a form that occurs spontaneously in cows and human beings but is not the type that can be infectious to animals or humans. It is not a zoonose.

"The USDA tests about 40,000 cows a year."

This cow was not a downer cow it was DEAD.
On any given day a dairy has three or four carcasses of cows that may have died from old age. Rendering companies, commonly known as "fat and bone collection," pick them up for processing into commercial products such as makeup, chicken feed and pet food.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #66
Nirvana
Back in 10

If you are wanting to test every food animal that goes to slaughter be prepared to pay $500lb for meat. Maybe that is worth it to feel safe from a disease that occurs in about one out of every one million people world wide every year. In the USA fewer than five deaths per billion per year. Autism deserves more consideration.

the sky is not falling ...

Last edited by Nirvana; 04-25-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: emphasis
Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #67
glatt

Quote:
Glatt you really should read the articles you post. The cow was affected with ATYPICAL BSE a form that occurs spontaneously in cows and human beings but is not the type that can be infectious to animals or humans. It is not a zoonose.
Huh. There it is, in paragraph 12. I admit I didn't see that. I'm not familiar with spontaneously occurring BSE. I'd like to know more about that. If BSE can just appear out of nowhere, then that is a risk that can't be minimized.

Quote:
"The USDA tests about 40,000 cows a year."
I saw that and ignored it. It's a meaningless number without also providing the total number of animals slaughtered each year, especially older animals. It's worse than a meaningless number. It's cheesy marketing. It sounds like a big number and is there simply to try to sway the unthinking reader into assuming the testing is rigorous and that most beef is tested. It is not. it was probably provided by the beef industry.

Quote:
This cow was not a downer cow it was DEAD.
same difference. The point being that both downer cows and dead cows don't go into the human food supply. But before they reach that state, they do.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #68
glatt

Quote:
If you are wanting to test every food animal that goes to slaughter be prepared to pay $500lb for meat.
You lose credibility when you make shit up. A two minute Google search shows a BSE test is going to cost $30-$50 per animal. When you divide that by the few hundred pounds of meat you get from each animal, you wind up with an increased cost of 10 cents to 50 cents per pound, depending on the size of the animal.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #69
Nirvana
Back in 10

It was hyperbole I was not making shit up.

I did not make up the number of people in this country affected with BSE every year. Fewer than five deaths per billion per year You might as well be afraid of the boogey man.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #70
Nirvana
Back in 10

BTW the test does not administer itself> with the government being involved they will probably have to pay 10 people for each test.You know one to hold the cow while one cuts off the head while one collects the blood etc...
Old 04-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #71
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
It was hyperbole I was not making shit up.
Snicker. I'ma gonna save that one.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #72
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

This thread makes me want MOAR BEEF. Not.

:cowsmilie:
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #73
classicman

I gotta admit, I'm really jonesin for a nice juicy grilled steak.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #74
classicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Justation? Is that like when someone has a baby with Justin Bieber?
Bwahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa
FTR - gestation period
Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #75
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
BTW the test does not administer itself> with the government being involved they will probably have to pay 10 people for each test.You know one to hold the cow while one cuts off the head while one collects the blood etc...
And going to take time, which would throttle the supply. It would be wonderful, like the war on drugs.