The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 02-14-2004, 11:34 AM   #1
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Stern Warning

Stern Warning my new kayak, was christened Friday the 13th in the beautiful Gulf waters just off of Fort Desoto Beach. Despite the ominous date, two pods of dolphins sighted on depature proved to be good omens -- it was a wonderful trip of ten miles around the Southern end of the key.

The bow, stocked with stuff.

Another kayaker joins in the fun.

Lessons learned yesterday on this outting: barefeet are a bad idea when walking near the beach as sandspurs hurt like hell, everything including the wallet must go into the drybag because stuff does get wet and applying for new insurance cards is a pain, and ensuring a good coat of sunscreen is important because finding spots missed the next day proves too easy. Ouch.

Last edited by Kitsune; 02-14-2004 at 11:38 AM.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 11:45 AM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

What keeps your GPS from going for a swim?
Old 02-14-2004, 11:52 AM   #3
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Its tied to the hole where the sail would attach (yes, the kayak has a sailing kit, although I don't have it) just to the left. Most everything else that day, however, went for a good swim when I tipped the boat on launch and took several gallons into the cockpit. The towel I didn't put in the dry bag wasn't able to do its job for the rest of the day and all the receipts in my wallet bled and put a nice, purpley stain on my shorts pocket. The true magic comes in how you get the water out: a huge car sponge and lots of patience.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:42 PM   #4
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

i've thought about getting a kayak for flounder fishing here in galveston bay. i saw a couple of guys doing it on my last outing and that looked like the inexpensive good way to go. do you do any fishing out of it or just have it for exercise/cruising around?
Old 02-14-2004, 01:16 PM   #5
Beletseri
Yeah sez you

You don't have a skirt for it to keep out water? I suppose its pretty big to try and roll it when you are still in it anyway huh. I used to white water kayak when I lived in Oregon. Nothing like kayaking for becoming one with the boat.
Beletseri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 04:33 PM   #6
Kitsune
still eats dirt

i've thought about getting a kayak for flounder fishing here in galveston bay. i saw a couple of guys doing it on my last outing and that looked like the inexpensive good way to go. do you do any fishing out of it or just have it for exercise/cruising around?

I just use it for exploring -- I've never been much of a fisherman. I've heard that most people who fish in a kayak use open-top ones because they are easy to stand up in and handle your fishing pole, etc. I've never been in one of those, before.

You don't have a skirt for it to keep out water? I suppose its pretty big to try and roll it when you are still in it anyway huh.

This kayak did come with a spray skirt, I just didn't use it while out that day as the water was very calm. I didn't expect to take on water until my own clumsiness did me in. I'm a bit fearful of rolling this boat and, while I'm sure I could get out, I don't think I would be able to get back in so easily without assistance. I might get brave, someday, and practice.

Nothing like kayaking for becoming one with the boat.

You're not kidding -- I've been out in a number of larger, motorized boats and I never felt as connected to the as I have to a kayak or a sailboat. I got a folder, so you feel even closer to the ocean than in a hard kayak -- the waves cause the frame to flex gently and you can feel currents through the skin. At first, that was really creepy and it took quite a bit of getting used to.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:06 PM   #7
Beletseri
Yeah sez you

I did part of the yucatan coast line (from Cancun to Tulum) in a fold boat with a sail. It was a two person boat and we had four of them and camped all along the way. Wonderful trip.
Beletseri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 08:42 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Save the bales!
Old 02-14-2004, 09:14 PM   #9
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Quote:
plthijinx said i've thought about getting a kayak for flounder fishing here in galveston bay. i saw a couple of guys doing it on my last outing and that looked like the inexpensive good way to go.
check out these folks , http://www.madpaddlers.com/index.html
they have some KILLER packages . Not cheap , but realy not that bad eather , you could spend your money on worse things.

Oh an check out this pic on their home page , BIG ASS FISH !!!!!
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2004, 09:49 PM   #10
Kitsune
still eats dirt

check out these folks , http://www.madpaddlers.com/index.html

Ha! Zippyt -- you found the place that originally got me hooked on kayaking a couple years ago! Madpaddlers is located at the very top of Tampa Bay and it is exactly that place that I went with some co-workers to rent boats. We explored the top of the bay for a day, landed at a beach along the causeway, and had lunch. The very day after that trip I started putting money away for one.

The only reason I didn't purchase from those guys is that I can't have a hard kayak -- living in a small apartment on the third floor makes it really difficult to store something that is >15ft long! Instead, I purchased a Folbot and have the ability to put my boat away in my closet after a day out on the ocean. The time putting it together is miniscule but it does take a bit of cleaning and work before it can be put away.

The people at Folbot, by the way, are outstanding. They're on my list of "friendly little companies I like dealing with".
Old 02-14-2004, 11:06 PM   #11
zippyt

Ha! Zippyt -- you found the place that originally got me hooked on kayaking a couple years ago!

Well COOL !!! I found their site a while back looking for sit-on top kyaks . We own some land on the spring river here in Arkansas . The dude that ownes the camp ground ajecent to our land sells off his older canoes and kyaks every year . This shit head was trying to sell us a 5 year old sit-on top kayak that had who knows how many asses in it for $10 more than i could get a brand new one delivered to my door for with a warrenty , and I live in an "OFF tthe normal delevery rout area" .

AHH the internet

I have read MANY good things about those foldable boats !!!!!!
Old 02-14-2004, 11:16 PM   #12
Kitsune
still eats dirt

This shit head was trying to sell us a 5 year old sit-on top kayak that had who knows how many asses in it for $10 more than i could get a brand new one delivered to my door for with a warrenty

Bad deal! Every so often we see a number of older kayaks being sold off in this area by some of the rental places, most of which store their boats outside. By letting them sit in the sun, the UV destroys the plastic and they're ready to crack after 3-5 years of the elements. Its about that time that they put them up for sale.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:49 PM   #13
zippyt

Bad deal!
Yeppers , i run up on bargens ever now and then that I KNOW i can resell for a small profit . Not to long ago at the shop one of the techs got a a new truck , his old truck was sold to a different tech for a SEVER discount just to get it off the inventory , dude that bought the truck didn't want the tool boxes on it , he took them off and dumped them in the shop , GOOD steel heavy duty boxes . My boss wanted to get rid of them and i hauled them off for him . I sold them to a neibor for $200 , they were worth well over $500 . Happy carpenter neibor that has tool boxes that will outlast his thruck . Happy ZIPPYT with $200 to spend as he sees fit !!!!

I have read articales in OUTSIDE mag about those foldable boats being packes to some WAY far off places , and floated down some VERRRRRRRY narley rivers !!!!!