The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #46
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Black fur around dark eyes makes it harder to enjoy the marvelous expression our canine friends transmit.
And almost impossible to take good pictures of.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #47
euphoriatheory
Sealed for your protection.

Location: New Hampshire. (It's a real state. It's north of Boston.)
.......*cry*.

I was so annoyed... there was an animal shelter about an hour away from here that was going to be closing due to lack of funding--a "no kill" shelter, which unfortunately cost a boatload to run simply because of that policy. I circulated an e-mail to all my friends and family to make donations... the deadline was a few days ago. I have to check to see if they made it. I pray they did.
euphoriatheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #48
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
And almost impossible to take good pictures of.
If you are blind and superficial.

I am going to disagree with sweetwater on this 100 percent. I am blown away by the superficial comments made about dog selection.

Of course, my dog of choice has always been a Rottweilers.

Last edited by Cicero; 04-27-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:15 PM   #49
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
If you are blind and superficial.
Nonsense, I had a black dog I miss very much, and wish I had a good picture of him. But he was pure black and none of the pictures show detail.

Quote:
I am going to disagree with sweetwater on this 100 percent. I am blown away by the superficial comments made about dog selection.
You can disagree all you want, but if you talk to the people that work in shelters, or even pet stores, black puppies languish.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #50
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

Cicero, it's not my hangup - I was teasing about the black fur and the furniture. To borrow an expression from Dave Frei, "we consider dog fur a condiment at our house". My experiences dealing with the public has been that solid black dogs and cats are adopted less readily than their buddies. btw, we used to undo some of that hex by giving them bright bandanas. It worked. I don't know why.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #51
Cloud

well, now we know. Next time you want to adopt a dog or cat--go for black!
Old 04-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #52
Tree Fae
Major Inhabitant

Black Dogs

Hello everyone, I am Elspodes friend. This is my first post to the Cellar and I thought this was a particularly good place to start.

Last month, I adopted from a near by animal control a wonderful mostly black Papllion/Yorkie??? mix. Darby was bigger than he looked in the pictures, but I took a chance on how he would get along with my Yorkie, Dazzle, and the one my ex kept, Sami. He is 2-3 years old and wonderfully playful. He has been the best dog in the world. He is loving, and smart. He has made a great companion for both Dazzle and me.

I have watched both an aged cancer ridden boxer who had 11 wonderful years with us, and a year old kitten with Feline PV be put to sleep. It is one of the most heart-rending experiences I have ever experienced.

All my animals are fixed, and I intend to help others get theirs done as quickly as possible. My youngest cat was adopted off the street and was sickly at first so we forgot about getting it done. Living with a cat in heat was not fun for it or us.
Tree Fae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #53
Tree Fae
Major Inhabitant

Black Dogs

Oh yeah, forgot to add, my house has all white carpets. Black fir does stand out, but then so does the dirt I track in, their messes, leaves,
dust, ... you name it so the black dog really doesn't matter.

And someone tell me why would anyone want white carpet through out a house. It is going to drive me insane!!!

I do love my new house though.
Tree Fae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:43 PM   #54
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Hi, Tree Fae!~ Welcome to the Cellar---I love the 'Spode and any friend of his is a friend of mine!

you sound like a responsible and loving pet owner, too
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:56 PM   #55
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And any friend of Brianna's is a friend of mine.
If you ignore those white carpets, before you know it, they won't be anymore. But so what, in the grand scheme of things, clean carpets are pretty low priority... way below the Cellar.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:36 PM   #56
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
You can disagree all you want, but if you talk to the people that work in shelters, or even pet stores, black puppies languish.
That isn't part I was disagreeing with. I was disagreeing with the superficial dog selection part.

In fact, sweetwater was just kidding. What were you doing?

I had friends that worked at the humane society...yea...we talked. We also talked about the parameters for the "aggressive tests" that they didn't feel was quite fair.

Hi Tree! We like 'spode!!! Welcome!!
Old 04-29-2008, 01:47 AM   #57
Agent-G
Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker

thats a good story for sure. I havent heard a first hand story like that before. I guess I know what happens, but dont really know what happens.
Agent-G is offline   Reply With Quote