The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-01-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Those wacky Canadians. Seriously... WTF?!

Bus passenger beheaded seat mate, witness says

(CNN) -- As horrified travelers watched, a Greyhound Canada bus passenger repeatedly stabbed and then decapitated a young man who was sitting and sleeping beside him, a witness said Thursday.

"There was a bloodcurdling scream. I was just reading my book, and all of a sudden, I heard it," Garnet Caton, who was sitting in front of the two men, said of the Wednesday night incident west of Portage la Prairie in Manitoba.

"It was like something between a dog howling and a baby crying, I guess you could say," Caton said. "I don't think it will leave me for a while."

Passengers exited the bus, and a trucker who stopped provided wrenches and crowbars to several of them so they could keep the suspect on the bus until police came, witnesses told Canadian TV.

The suspect was seized with the help of negotiators, Royal Canadian Mounted Police Sgt. Steve Colwell said. VideoWatch Colwell discuss the case »

He said no formal charges had been filed, and he declined to identify either the man in custody or the victim, who were among 34 passengers.

There was no immediate indication of what prompted the attack, Colwell said. He said he didn't know how many times the victim was stabbed. Witnesses described the weapon as a large butcher-type knife.

Caton told The Associated Press that the victim appeared to be about 19 years old and had gotten on the bus in Edmonton.

Colwell praised the "extraordinary" level-headedness and bravery of the bus driver and passengers.

"What you saw and what you experienced would shake the most seasoned police officer. And yet I'm told that each of you acted swiftly, calmly and bravely," Colwell said. "As a result, no one else was injured."

The police received a call reporting the attack at 8:30 p.m. By the time they arrived at the scene, everyone except the knife-wielder and his victim had left the bus, Colwell said. The incident ended about 1:30 a.m.

The bus was traveling along the Trans-Canada Highway from Edmonton, Alberta, to Winnipeg, Manitoba, and was about 45 minutes from its destination when the attack occurred, Greyhound spokeswoman Abby Wambaugh said in Dallas, Texas.

Caton said the victim was sleeping with his head leaning against the window when the attack happened. Caton said he shouted at the other passengers, many of whom also were sleeping, to leave. VideoWatch Caton describe what he saw »

"Everybody got off the bus. Me and a trucker that stopped and the Greyhound driver ran up to the door to maybe see if the guy was still alive or we could help or something like that," Caton said.

"And when we all got up, we saw that the guy was cutting off the guy's head. ... When he saw us, he came back to the front of the bus, told the driver to shut the door. He pressed the button and the door shut, but it didn't shut in time, and the guy was able to get his knife out and take a swipe at us," Caton said.

Caton told the AP that the attacker didn't sit near the victim when he first got on the bus, about an hour before the attack.

"He sat in the front at first; everything was normal," Caton said. "We went to the next stop, and he got off and had a smoke with another young lady there. When he got on the bus again, he came to the back near where I was sitting. He put his bags in the overhead compartment. He didn't say a word to anybody. He seemed totally normal."

Half an hour later, the attack began, Caton told the AP. "There was no rage or anything. He was like a robot, stabbing the guy."

The incident occurred on the first of two Greyhound Canada buses that were traveling together, Wambaugh said. The bus was carrying 37 passengers. As many passengers as possible among those not directly involved in the incident were transferred to the second bus, she said.

Others were taken to a hotel in Brandon, where they were met by Greyhound managers and police, Wambaugh said.

Once they are released, Greyhound will take them by bus to Winnipeg, and "we will do whatever is required to help them, and that includes counseling," she added.

Wambaugh declined to comment further.

"I don't want to compromise the investigation," she said.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

..........That's some heavy shit, right there.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:00 AM   #3
nmckenzie02
Dry Nurse

[ref: signature] so you've presented a problem?
Old 08-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I'm stating the problem.

The guy with the knife presented the problem.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:05 AM   #5
Juniper
I know, right?

There's got to be more to this story.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:48 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

We don't even know if they knew each other.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Most sources are pretty sure they didn't. The killer only moved to sit next to the sleeping guy after a stop, he was sitting somewhere else previously. He was just bat-shit insane, is my theory.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Snoring passengers who chew loudly when they are awake will do that to you.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #9
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

A friend of mine who was working in Drumheller said he was taking the bus home for the weekend. When I saw the headline, 'Man decapitated on Greyhound bus in Canada I just about fell off my chair'

and yes my friend is ok....He's been out gallivanting.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

The attacker speaks.

'Please kill me,' suspect in bus beheading says

PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE, Manitoba (AP) -- A Chinese immigrant accused of stabbing, beheading and cannibalizing a man on a Greyhound bus in Canada pleaded in court Tuesday for someone to "please kill me," and was ordered to undergo a psychiatric evaluation.

Vince Weiguang Li, who immigrated to Canada from China in 2004, is charged with second-degree murder in last Wednesday's slaying of 22-year-old carnival worker Tim McLean -- an attack which witnesses aboard the bus said appeared to be unprovoked. He has yet to enter a plea.

Li was scheduled to appear Tuesday to determine whether he should undergo psychiatric testing, but the judge in Portage La Prairie adjourned the hearing for a short recess to allow a legal aid attorney to confer with him. Since his arrest, Li has declined to speak to prosecutors and his court-appointed attorney.

When asked again by the judge after the recess if he wanted a lawyer, Li shook his head and then quietly said "please kill me," The Canadian Press reported.

Li's remark was heard by reporters and confirmed by court clerks, but was not acknowledged by the judge. He is due back in court Sept. 8.

Officers at the scene of the bus attack discovered a plastic bag containing an ear, nose and part of a mouth in Li's pocket, according to a police report submitted by prosecutor Joyce Dalmyn as evidence supporting a request for the psychological test.

The night of the deadly attack, Dalmyn said, the only response officers received from Li was: "I have to stay on the bus forever".

Passengers on the bus described a horrific scene that began Wednesday night as they shuttled through the darkness along a desolate stretch of the TransCanada Highway about 12 miles from Portage La Prairie.

Thirty-seven passengers were aboard the Greyhound from Edmonton, Alberta, to Winnipeg, Manitoba. Some were napping and others watching "The Legend of Zorro" when Li attacked McLean, allegedly stabbing him dozens of times, according to witnesses. As horrified passengers fled from the bus, Li severed McLean's head, displaying it to some of the passengers gathered outside the bus, witnesses said. He then began hacking at the body, they said.

A police officer at the scene reported seeing the attacker hacking off pieces of the victim's body and eating them, according to a police tape leaked on the Internet.

A church pastor, Tom Castor, who helped hire Li soon after he immigrated in 2004 with his wife, Anna, said the man never showed any sign of anger or emotional problems when he worked there as a custodian.

Church officials said they vetted Li by contacting references listed on his application and running a criminal record check.

More than 105,000 people have joined an online memorial group for McLean.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:09 AM   #11
Hertzie
Fellow-Commoner

There is a funny side to this story however,

Greyhound stopped their ad campaign which said, "There's a reason you've never heard of bus rage," because they felt it was no longer appropriate
Hertzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:50 AM   #12
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Hmmm, I might still fulfill my fantasy of moving to Canada, but I won't be taking the bus.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:30 AM   #13
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hertzie View Post
There is a funny side to this story however,

Greyhound stopped their ad campaign which said, "There's a reason you've never heard of bus rage," because they felt it was no longer appropriate

Ouch.

Just like a certain dieting company had to pull their ads featuring Fergie (Duchess of York) declaring that they made losing weight "easier than outrunning the paparazzi", after Princess Di's car crash.

Say, did you get welcomed, Hertzie?

Welcome, Hertzie! (and are you spruiking for a rent-a-car company? )

Old 08-08-2008, 05:56 AM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I have no idea if either of those slogans are true, or just jokes, but they both made me laugh in a really snorting way.

Travelling by coach (bus) is the most horrible way to travel anyway. I have to take earplugs with me to make it even vaguely tolerable. Give me the train any day.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #15
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

And now PETA weighs in. What a bunch of frigging idiots they are...

PETA ad compares bus beheading to animal abuse

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...RCR3AD92DIJ1O0