The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-21-2001, 09:19 AM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Cool

Just an aside here, but in a radical departure from our current national election, I have once again become the President of the Philadelphia chapter of the Association of Information Technology Professionals.

The simple reason for this is that noone else on the board wanted the job.

I was voted/shoehorned into the vice-president slot last year. By our charter the vice-president is the president-elect. The last time, as happened numerous times in the past 10 years, we have had no president-elect, and have had board-appointed or membership-voted presidents. Our last president had the job for three years running.

So, with my current impending post and some very real responsibilities ahead of me, I had a special viewpoint on the election process as a whole and the motivations for seeking public office, especially since I also tried for and lost a national directors position with AITP.

I will hopefully have time to share them later. Right now I have "homework" from our last board meeting.

BTW, we are recruiting for volunteers for our board. Requirements are a membership in AITP(obtainable after appointment) and a sense of vision. I really am looking for someone who can picture what something can/should be like and is willing to work towards making that vision a reality. The only reward is that Zen moment when everything is working as it should be and you know that you helped get it there.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 09:24 AM   #2
oprativ
Fellow-Commoner

well, congrats rich

whell hey, congratulations on your position, rich.

it seems that the aitp could in fact, be a pretty cool thing. this view is of course, probably very different from what it *actually* is. will get back to the (first-generation desgin) website when i have more time.

oprativ

Innocence is negligence.
oprativ is offline   Reply With Quote