The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 05-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #31
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
So, you mean like when Robert Redford was in that episode of Twilight Zone? Those are okay?
Or when Shatner did that easily parodied Nightmare at 20000 feet episode?
Old 05-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #32
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I liked the one he did with the fortune telling machine in the diner (Nick of Time) better.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #33
casimendocina
Professor

I watching Mad Men, series 1, episode 1 last night. Kristen Schaal who played Mel in Flight of the Concords played the part of a telephone operator for the agency.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #34
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Really? You watching Mad Men? Does you liken it?

Srsly,
Mel was great in Flight. That was an excellent show. My kids were calling themselves Rhymenocerous and Hiphopopottamus for a while.

I can't watch Mad Men at all because that was my dad's profession through the 60's and 70's. It's really, really too close to home.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #35
casimendocina
Professor

So far, I'm only up to episode 3 and the copy I've got is a dodgy pirated one, so the sound quality isn't always the best. Can I ask which bit of it specifically is too close to home? Draper and the other executive's lifestyles/attitudes/all of the above? If the attitudes displayed by the women about the other women and also, the men's attitudes to women are close to what it was really like at that time (and I'm guessing they are from your post), then I am thanking Germaine Greer and her generation.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #36
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Hard to put my finger on it exactly. My dad, who apparently was the quintessential party animal, told me he finally got out of the business because he saw too many of his friends die of cirrhosis of the liver.

Typically, accounts came and went based on how much of a good time you could show people and how much sunshine you could blow up their asses.

After he passed away, his sisters made a few cryptic remarks about how marriage and a family slowed him down a bit.

His charm and charisma went up to 11.

Part of what I find hard about the show is the moral/ethical darkness. I was too young (dob 1960) to really have much of an idea about what was happening, but for some reason, the show is too intense.

Maybe it's like thinking about your parents as real people who get drunk and have sex or whore around like the 20 somethings they were.

It's funny how every generation thinks they invented sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll.

After the war my dad went to NYU and lived in the village with beatniks and proto hippies. I can only imagine...
Old 05-31-2011, 10:44 AM   #37
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I've been watching Mad Men on Entertainment on Demand (free) and only missed the first couple episodes. I'm always late to the party for good shows.

I think Mad Men is one of the best shows EVER. I like it almost as much as Six Feet Under and that's saying a lot.

Oh, and Flo from Progressive Insurance plays a part on Mad Men. It took me a minute to place her when I saw her, but yep!

http://blogs.amctv.com/mad-men/talk/...he-progres.php
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:47 AM   #38
infinite monkey

Oh, and Peggy Olsen is the bomb!
Old 06-05-2011, 03:13 AM   #39
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Part of what I find hard about the show is the moral/ethical darkness. I was too young (dob 1960) to really have much of an idea about what was happening, but for some reason, the show is too intense.
I'm still on Season 1. Last night I watched the episode where Draper's brother comes to the agency hoping to re-establish contact with his long lost brother and later Draper goes to his lodgings and pays him off so that he'll disappear. I found this much more disturbing than the multiple infidelities. Obviously, the makers of the show have not provided a lot of detail to keep people wondering about Draper's past so that they'll continue to keep watching.

To me the whole thing seems very foreign-both the time period and the world that it is set in.

In terms of finding movies/series difficult to watch, I found the Australian movie Little Fish (former drug addict tries to make good, but is drawn back in to contact with her previous lifestyle when an old boyfriend reappears) starring Cate Blanchett exceedingly disturbing as although it's not a world that I've ever inhabited, I imagine that it's not one that you have to try very hard to find.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:20 AM   #40
casimendocina
Professor

Can we extend the game?

Which sets have you seen pop up in two or more movies/TV series?

Different Strokes, The Nanny and The Cosby Show all used the same set. The staircase, kitchen door, sofa and father's den all were in exactly the same place.

Also, putting my observation skills to excellent use, I've noticed that in a number of movies/series set in NY, the characters go and look at an apartment which is apparently in a much sort after apartment block on the top floor of one of the older NY apartment blocks. The windows are basically floor to ceiling and lead on to a balcony and the main room is very long. I think that they've used this same set on Sex and the City (first movie-the apartment that Big and Carried buy before they get married), Mad Men (the baby faced executive and his wife buy it even though it's above their budget as the wife has her heart set on it and he doesn't have the heart to tell her they can't afford it) and Did you hear about the Morgans (the apartment that the two characters move into after patching up their marriage and adopting a baby)?
Old 01-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #41
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Here's one I just found out today. Lumiere, the candelabra in Beauty and the Beast was voiced by non other than Jerry Orbach, the Law and Order guy.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #42
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Zicato View Post
My favorite - Owen, the truck-driving country boy with the nasal issue in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is Dylan Baker - the slimy lawyer in Disclosure and the department store owner in Simply Irresistible. It's hard to believe the guy who played Owen could play those other parts.
Mrs. Z. and I also noticed Baker as a doctor in a Season 7 episode of House.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #43
infinite monkey

I'd forgotten about this thread. The actress who plays Peggy Olsen, a character on Mad Men, has a commercial about tylenol or some such pain relief. She looks younger than she does in Mad Men, and I don't know if that's just because they make her look older on MM or if it's just an older commercial that they revived because of her popularity from the show.