The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #16
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

$2.45 last week, maybe as low as $2.30s in surrounding villages, just because we're the higher-demand spot (have colleges, will gouge.)
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #17
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Are we talking per litre or per gallon here? I'll check it out at the pumps tomorrow and I KNOW all you kind Cellar folks'll all send me petrol (gasoline) for Christmas!
Old 11-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #18
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

careful it's not through your letterbox!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #19
SquidGirl
Colloquialist

$1.74 today.....I'm curious about what it's like where Monster is since that's just a couple hours away South of me.

My grandparents used to have a big barrel at their farm and a local station would fill it up, maybe 2x a year. With gas prices so low right now, I feel the need to get a huge fuel drum like that in my backyard so I can fill it up and just use that for the year.
SquidGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:27 PM   #20
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidGirl View Post
$1.74 today.....I'm curious about what it's like where Monster is since that's just a couple hours away South of me.

My grandparents used to have a big barrel at their farm and a local station would fill it up, maybe 2x a year. With gas prices so low right now, I feel the need to get a huge fuel drum like that in my backyard so I can fill it up and just use that for the year.
Pretty sure that would be against some law unless you lived on a farm.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:37 PM   #21
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
They were paying .50 less than most people were when prices where high. I wonder why more people couldn't do that.
Southwest Airlines was doing that. It's called hedging or derivatives.

Petroleum is bought maybe 3 months in advance. By the time it arrives, current market prices apply. Amazing how so many complained when the big oil companies reaped profits as prices rise, and ignore the massive losses when prices fall.

Gasoline changes over months which is why gasoline from six months ago may be a problem. See Reynolds’s number to appreciate the concept.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:45 PM   #22
SquidGirl
Colloquialist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Pretty sure that would be against some law unless you lived on a farm.
Oh, I would most certainly bet it would be against MANY laws. That's why I haven't done it. Heck, my neighbors aren't the smartest. They recently had a bonfire during a fire ban. We live on lots IN the city (not country) and they were throwing bed frame, tires, clothes, childrens play sets, toys, etc. When the fire department came, I guess there was a half-naked drunk guy with a garden hose infront of 20 ft flames telling the firemen he had it under control....as his shed siding was melting. I figure next to them it would also be a bad idea.
SquidGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:00 PM   #23
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Because I live so close to work, I only buy gas once every two to three weeks. I sort of remember paying 1.94 the last time I went. I try not to look at the sign every time I pass it because it seems to drop at least a couple of cents each day, and I'd be too upset over not having waited long enough ... I think it's close to $1.80 right now.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #24
monster
I hear them call the tide

$1.53 this evening ...but in a part of a town I hesitate to stop and fill up in at night and tonight I decided no.....
Old 11-24-2008, 09:35 PM   #25
Nirvana
Back in 10

$1.53? I was jumping up and down for $1.58 well I guess I will still jump up and down Yippie! I have to buy gas, kerosene, and diesel fuel almost every single day for the various equipment here. Its a little less painful to fill up
Old 11-24-2008, 09:47 PM   #26
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Amazing how so many complained when the big oil companies reaped profits as prices rise, and ignore the massive losses when prices fall.
Yup! There seems to be some sort of disconnect there.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:36 PM   #27
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Ventura County, CA, home of the gypsy moth quarantine, cheapest gas right ATM is $1.97 -- less than half what it was this spring and summer. California's anti-smog formulation always runs between twenty and forty cents more than neighboring states' prices.

But we're not bitter. We just remember to gas up leaving Vegas.

There doesn't seem to be as much variation in gasoline quality in CA as there is in some other regions of the US. I learned not to buy cheapo gasoline in Maryland -- Homoco's 87 octane made my car run like it needed a tuneup when it didn't. Had to top it up again with something more expensive when I got to half a tank to smooth the running back out.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:39 PM   #28
monster
I hear them call the tide

it was 1;53 in the dodgy area, but still 1;69 right next to home, and 1:79 and more on the other side of town (6 miles away).....

nuts
Old 11-25-2008, 09:32 AM   #29
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
How long does gasoline keep? Like 6 months? I know my lawnmower complains if the gas is more than one season old.
I've been hearing problems with gas over three months old, in small engines like mowers, chainsaws and snow blowers, but that's anecdotal.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:40 AM   #30
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

Our cheapest grade (87 Oct 10% EtOH) is $1.79 in Cedar Rapids right now, and was $1.52 this weekend in Des Moines.