The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2003, 12:46 PM   #1
Tobiasly
hot

802.11g real-world experience

Anyone here have some real-world experience on 802.11g wireless access points? It looks like prices are coming down pretty low, and I'd like to set one up when I get home.

Particular points of interest:
  • <B>Interoperability with 802.11b devices</B>. I read that early on, using an older "B" device would slow down the whole WLAN. I don't use any right now, but would probably be interested in getting an 802.11b CompactFlash card for my PocketPC. I know that 802.11g is backwards-compatible, but was this issue fixed in the "final" specification?
  • <B>Range</B>. I've read that range on these is around 25m and can go through walls, etc. My house is 1-story, 3-bedroom with a finished basement. If I put the access point, say, at the top of the stairs leading to the basement, should I have any issues getting a signal anywhere in the house? I really don't want to have to buy 2 APs.
  • <B>Interference with cordless phones</B>. We have one of those multiple-handset, 2.4GHz cordless phone systems. Can these coexist, or will throughput be drastically cut when one of us is on the phone?
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote