The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-09-2009, 10:47 PM   #76
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

In the meantime, our prayers are with you.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:11 AM   #77
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I've been watching on the news. My God, what a nightmare. Survivors describe walls of flame, four stories high, moving so terribly fast.

To hear that some of them may have been deliberately started is so shocking.

I'm just glad our Aussie-dwellars are ok. I must admit, when I first saw reports coming in, my stomach sank.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #78
glatt

The pictures coming out of there are amazing. It's horrific.
Attached Images

glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #79
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people that live in fire prone areas don't understand the simple concept of defensible space. Clearing ANYTHING flammable in at least 100 feet in all directions from the structure is one of the most important preventative measures you can take to protect your house. The other very important thing you can do is LEAVE. It's true fires can move quickly, but it's not a sustained speed and direction. A front can be creeping along and then a sudden increase on one side of the fire triangle (fuel, oxygen, heat) or a sudden change in the fire environment triangle (terrain, fuel, weather) and a front can leap by 600 meters in a matter of seconds. So fast that you can't outrun it even in a vehicle. People mistakenly think that they can defend their homes by themselves and tragedies occur. The best thing you can do is set sprinklers on your roof and deck and them LEAVE as soon as possible. Staying behind only puts your life in danger and complicates the efforts of fire crews who have more important things to do than babysit your property because you refused to leave creating a life threatening situation. /rant
Old 02-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #80
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

If we cut everything flammable within 100 feet of our house, I'd be over the fence in the neighbor's yard. Our house has cedar siding, but we did replace our plastic skylights with glass and had a new roof installed last summer that's supposed to be fire-resistant (but I haven't tested it yet).

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #81
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

There are rumours that emergency services have found over 100 more bodies in the wreckage.

The police are also in possession of the licence plate of a trailbike ridden by a teenager who was 'behaving suspiciously' on Saturday morning.

There's a good chance that whoever started these fires may have perished also. That thought brings me little comfort, but it might do something for the survivors of this tragedy.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #82
Aliantha

I'm not sure if this is appropriate or not, but if anyone wants to donate, you can do so via credit card at www.redcross.org.au

Please don't think I'm trying to guilt anyone into anything. It's just that I know there are people out there who might want to do something for these poor people and this was something that came to my mind just now. We donated what we could yesterday, but it just doesn't seem like enough when I'm sitting here in my nice house with all my pictures and special things around me.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #83
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I am sorry this is happening to your countryfolk, Ali. Such a tragic event is something I wouldn't wish on anyone. thank you for keeping us informed of the situation and of your safety.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #84
Aliantha

As far as i know all the dwellars are fine. I had a text (sms) from ducks yesterday arvo, but so far I don't think anyone's heard from Alpha, so I hope he's ok.

I'm not in any danger where I am. I'm right in between the fires and the other natural disaster hitting Australia at the moment being massive flooding in the northern part of my state.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #85
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
I'm not sure if this is appropriate or not, but if anyone wants to donate, you can do so via credit card at www.redcross.org.au

Please don't think I'm trying to guilt anyone into anything. It's just that I know there are people out there who might want to do something for these poor people and this was something that came to my mind just now. We donated what we could yesterday, but it just doesn't seem like enough when I'm sitting here in my nice house with all my pictures and special things around me.
Contribution made. Thanks for the link.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #86
Aliantha

Thanks Merc...and to anyone else who contributes or those who wish they could. On behalf of all of us on this side of the pond, I say thankyou. A very heartfelt thankyou.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #87
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I feel it is the least I can do for a group of people and a country that I think Americans, and I for one of them, have a special place in my heart. Cheers.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #88
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

What Bullit said.

There are some real dopes out there. There are also some very able and well prepared people. TV news showed some interviews last night - one fool with a bucket hoping to fend off a thin line of ground-only burn, several hundred meters long, creeping down a heavily wooded hilllside towards his house.
Reporter: "Are you worried you might not have enough resources to stop this fire?"
Man: " Ohhh ..... err ..... ahh .... yeah." [looks at bucket hopefully].
His wife explained that they would definitely evacuate if the flames got within ten meters of the house.

Next story was three adults describing how they had used thier own pump, hoses and water supply to keep a mist screen over their house until they were forced into their concrete/brick cellar to escape the heat, then got back out once the front had passed and kept fighting.

Some folks have got it, some folks haven't.

On the donations, some people in North Queenslad have been given $1,000 per adult as emergency flood relief. More than one immediately donated the lot to the bushfire appeal.

The death toll may never be established for certain. They are talking about bodies having been vapourised, effectively cremated, but the fires.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:33 PM   #89
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Sent a little your way Ali - wish I could do more, but times are tough...
Old 02-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #90
Aliantha

Every little bit helps classic. You're giving something to people who now have nothing. Less than nothing in some ways. Thankyou.