The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'm back. Oh my back.

Hello everyone.

I've been reading as I can. I've been off work with a back injury. More about that in a minute.

I can't give updates to the situation at work because I haven't been there. I took Friday off as a mental health day and I seriously started to feel better about things. Saturday I came here to the public library. I got a couple books and a couple movies. Had a nice chat with the librarian, and a nice old man commented to me about the weather as I was leaving and he was coming in. I felt good. I thought no matter what I can do this.

Dog had other ideas (you know, the Dog that dyslexic insomniacs think about all night?) As I got into my car it was BOOM to my lower back. I had no idea what happened. I got out of my car and tried to stretch. Great. I had a spasm, right? As many of you know I get those all the time in my upper back/shoulders.

Went to get lunch and I could not get out of my chair to leave. I was hanging on to the table for about ten minutes, trying to find the strength to straighten out without screaming. Finally I clutched the wall and made it out the door and into my car, crying all the way.

I thought I'd go home, rest it, ice it, heat it, ibuprofen it, acetominophen it. To no avail. I got up Sunday morning and drove myself to the ER (for those of you who live truly and completely alone...can I get a WITNESS?) I don't know how I did it. They finally gave me some sort of pain shot and the relief was unbelievable. They did every test but an MRI (they only do those on weekends if it's an emergency apparently) but I got a cat scan and xrays and this and that blood and urine tests. They had me get a ride because of the pain shot. Can you get a ride they asked, because we can give you something stronger? I can get five rides give me whatever you got. Mom came and got me which worked out because the girls were coming over for Sunday dinner and I was in little pain and got to enjoy that time.

I decided I could go home so dad took me to my car and followed me (he was going to his lake/land to meet a buddy and that is down from the hospital which is down from where I live...so that worked out too.) Oh, and he took me to the pharm where mom and I had dropped off my prescriptions earlier.

They gave vicodin and a muscle relaxer. We were off work Monday for veteran's day. I thought time and the meds would do it. Well, no.

I called Tuesday and said I was going to my doc. He said they treated the symptoms but not the cause: the inflammation. Gave me a shot of prednisone and a script for percocet and more prednisone. (Vics are a joke and I don't know why pill lovers love them. they don't do shit.)

He said "you can't go to work" and gave me a note for until today. Have to go back tomorrow. That looks good I"m sure. An altercation with an asshat and then I'm off for a week. (Then again, asshat if from Nawlins and probably has a voodoo doll that looks like me: fat and old and tired, with a perpetual wrinkled forehead from pain and worry.)

(to be continued)

Last edited by infinite monkey; 11-15-2012 at 11:30 AM.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote