The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 10-08-2003, 09:07 PM   #16
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I think this recall was a crock of shit, given that they just re-elected Davis 11 months ago. However, the people have spoken, and hopefully Arnold will rise up to the challenge.

I hadn't seen such excitement over a candidate since Clinton in '92. And that's part of the problem for Arnold...can he live up to the hype?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 09:07 PM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Whoa, Dave. What's that about? Jeep certainly isn't alone in that opinion as I've met a number of people who have expressed the same thing in mostly the same words.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:39 PM   #18
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Actually Bruce, while I don't approve of his approach Dave is pretty accurate here. Juju is right in that Arnold has been pretty active and outspoken about his political position for a long time. What's more, elections have been grade school-like popularity contests for a very long time. Long time as is that's why the founding fathers made the Electoral College long time. I'm pretty sure elections in the Roman Empire had the same problem long time.
      This is pretty much common knowledge. Also the Rock comment at the end just came off as bitchy. So while I wouldn't call Jeep a retard, I'd say he came off as very uninformed, in a group where you are pretty well expected to know your shtuff.
      Plus, Jeep is still new, and you have to know about Dave and newbie's. He's pretty much our unofficial 'Trial by Fire.' I think Jeep got off easy.
      By the by, did you bother to educate the people you met as to the reality of Arnold's politics?
Old 10-08-2003, 11:29 PM   #19
dave

You're not, but that doesn't keep our mental giant from mouthing off about things he has no knowledge of.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:43 PM   #20
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Whoa, Dave. What's that about?
Calling him a Nazi? Hey, let's punish everyone for things their parents did! Yeah, that's a good idea! All Germans are Nazis! What do you say about that, you child molestor?

The groping allegations... what's easier to believe? Arnold, who has always been reported as a gentleman on the set and extremely respectful of women, is a groping maniac... or women are throwing themselves all over this beefcake millionaire actor? None of it has been proven, but that's no matter for our hero. Guilty until proven innocent - what this great country is all about!

Politics reverting to a class officer type popularity election contest... as if they've ever been anything else! You hear this from Democrats and Republicans after their guy loses to someone with better name recognition (such as the recall or Lazio & Clinton 2000). Let me ask you something, Democrats - when was the last time you went and voted for a Republican for Senate or President? Let me ask you something, Republicans - when was the last time you went and voted for a Democrat for Senate or President? You're mostly party line voters anyway, so shut your fucking mouth when it comes to this. As if you were going to vote for anyone but your party anyway. Republicans voted Republican, Democrats, by and large, voted Democrat, and swing voters flocked to Schwarzenegger for any number of reasons. BFD. Give him a chance, or get elected yourself, you whiny fucking cunt. Unless you're clairvoyant, you don't know how he's going to do. By opening your mouth now, you show yourself for who you really are - an ugly partisan voter.

Little or no interest in politics, such as campaigning for various reforms the last few years? Little or no interest in politics, such as being an outspoken Republican for the last, what, two decades?

Oh yeah, his argument just stands right up to scrutiny - in the same way that LUVBUGZ is actually a biologist, and tw is completely unbiased in the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:49 PM   #21
juju
no one of consequence

I'm sure most people here already know this, but I was pretty surprised to find out he had a business degree. I guess that gives him at least a marginal sort of qualification?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 12:29 AM   #22
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Sigh, I saw the shadow of Dave looming and tried to divert that. Didn't figure it would work. Maybe I shouldn't have let the nazi thing go? It did bug me... 'Sides, seems silly to call Arnie a nazi when we've still got Ashcroft giving orders...

Juju, Arnie has shown quite a bit of inteligence in a number of ways. Even if he did do that Batman movie, he made some serious cash for it. He's done really well for himself. The degree is just icing. People love the image of some guy rising to the top in every field he enters. Arnie has pretty well done so. Now we get to see how he does in a new field.

Just to get back on topic. The best thing about Arnie winning, no End of Days 2 OR Return of Mr. Freeze Batman movie.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:46 AM   #23
JeepNGeorge
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

Sorry the Nazi jab was a feeble attempt to show my distaste for media. I guess not everybody knows that I'm not the sheep that follows CNN.

I know now not to make comments about wrasslin to Dave...He seemed to not like the rock comment. Sorry to talk ill of you favorite pasttime.

Let me follow Dave's logic on ahhhhnalds political experience, besides getting in with the kennedy clan, for a moment.

As you can tell from my name I do enjoy Jeeps. I've wrote numerous letters trying to keep PUBLIC lands PUBLIC for everybody. I work on my jeep daily, (harley owners would understand) and have became a semi-expert in all things jeep. Now where do I sign up for the CEO position for Chrysler????

Democrats voting for Democrates? Who gives a crap. The difference between party lines are blurring more and more everyday. Canidates are afraid to be too radical for fear of alienating voters. True welfare reform. Yeah right. I'm sure crackwhore mothers everywhere would register to vote to make sure they don't get elected. If you want to get elected, say what they want to hear, throw lots of money out, Woo ted turner and other media moguls so you are painted in a more favorable light and sit back and enjoy the ride.

The whole election was a farce, but in America you can have anything you want if you have enough money. Just ask O.J. and Arnold.
JeepNGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 04:06 AM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
I may be wrong, but I think Swartzenegger has had a big interest in politics for quite some time.
I just saw Arnie being interviewed on CBS this morning. He said he had no interest in *participating* in politics until this year.
He's been in the celebrity spotlight a long time and never one to shy away from giving his opinion. He's also been privy to the behind the scenes view of the process of getting elected and hopefully how to get things done.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:12 AM   #25
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by JeepNGeorge
I know now not to make comments about wrasslin to Dave...He seemed to not like the rock comment. Sorry to talk ill of you favorite pasttime.
Back it up. Where's your proof? Or was it an attempt to make me look uncultured and ignorant, too busy watching sweaty grown men rub each other to pay attention to what's going on in the world?

You're a really valuable user here. Really. What amazing contributions you've made. Probably better to go out on a high note and quit while you're ahead.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:44 AM   #26
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I think this recall was a crock of shit, given that they just re-elected Davis 11 months ago.
Why do you keep saying this Syc? What does that have to do with anything?

So people changed their minds since then. Or Davis didn't live up to his promises. Or they just realized they don't like a guy.

So why do you keep drawing this arbitrary 11-month line? U.S. Representatives are up for election every 24 months. Sometimes, people don't vote the same way twice! Sometimes, people vote for one person one term, and then for their opponent the next term!

What's your point?
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 08:11 AM   #27
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobiasly
Why do you keep saying this Syc?
I said this one other time--on August 8 in the "Schwarzenegger" thread.

Quote:
What does that have to do with anything?
Californians had a chance to vote Gray Davis out last year. They could have made their voices/dissention known during the primaries or during the general election. Now granted, I don't live in California. But based on what I've seen, the problems out there have not drastically changed since he was re-elected last November. Therefore, I contend that there was no real reason to oust Davis.

Quote:
So people changed their minds since then. Or Davis didn't live up to his promises. Or they just realized they don't like a guy.
Perhaps...but there was a fairly strong backlash against Davis leading up to the '02 election from what I remember. I remember the pundits noting that voter turnout for that election was rather low (just under 50%) and that the election was rather close, given that it was a Democrat incumbent facing re-election in California.

Did Californians have the right to change their mind? Absolutely, with the laws of the state behind them. But less than a year after re-electing him? To me, it sounds retarded...why did they even bothering re-electing him then? $60-someodd million more dollars were just wasted. And from what I understand of California's fiscal affairs, it seems to me that what Schwarzenegger can do is limited.

I do think it's kinda cool how accessible this election was. However, I wonder if that will be a good thing in the end...

Quote:
So why do you keep drawing this arbitrary 11-month line?
Huh? See above...you must have me confused with someone else.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 08:12 AM   #28
dave

sycamore thinks the recall is a crock of shit because he's a liberal, and a liberal governor is being deposed. Welcome to politics.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:24 AM   #29
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Sorry the Nazi jab was a feeble attempt to show my distaste for media. I guess not everybody knows that I'm not the sheep that follows CNN.
No, that's me, and I can tell you for absolute certain than CNN was blatantly and annoyingly anti-Arnie from day one.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 08:31 AM   #30
Tobiasly
hot

Well, I've heard that reasoning used numerous times, and I remembered you using it before, so I incorrectly assumed it was you I heard numerous times.
Quote:
Did Californians have the right to change their mind? Absolutely, with the laws of the state behind them. But less than a year after re-electing him?
Once again, an arbitrary line drawn. More than a year would be OK then? You'd be happy if it were 13 months, or maybe 16?

You sum it up well when you say "I don't live in California", and neither do I. You might have some basis in calling the voters silly or fickle or ignorant, but to dub the recall a crock of shit because of the length of time since the previous election is pretty baseless.

As far as I'm concerned, this was democracy in action. Everything was done according to the laws of the state.
Quote:
I do think it's kinda cool how accessible this election was. However, I wonder if that will be a good thing in the end...
Huh? Please explain. How is an accessible election bad?
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote