The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 04-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Squirrel, anyone? (other than po' trailer trash)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12999919
Old 04-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Old 04-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'd eat it.
I haven't yet, but if I could afford to eat at that level of restaurant (ironic, huh?) I would.

Yumyum.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Richard Alexander, from the Spoon Cafe, said the animals, which are subject to a cull, have low air miles and are completely free range.
WTF?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Guess they ain't flying squirrels?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I've et 'em. Tasty.

Late Grandmadigr's neighbor used to cook scrambled eggs with squirrel brains in 'em.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

If you genuinely mean WTF Grav, I'll elucidate.
Being a maritime temperate climate (cool, lots of rain), but having a taste for exotic food partly fuelled by Colonialism, a lot of food is imported into the UK. There is a push to encourage people to simply eat seasonally, and only have overseas food as a treat.

For example don't buy strawberries in February, as they have to be flown in from ?Guatemala? For sure have the occasional avocado, as they are not grown here, but try to wait for your asparagus and buy British when it's in season.

It's especially powerful when it comes to meat; we import a lot of lamb (for example) from New Zealand, as their seasons are the exact opposite of ours. But it comes halfway round the world. Instead, try some meat from your doorstep. Or the roadside

Of course free-range animals will always be more expensive than those caged and/ or cultivated. Hence squirrel not being a cheap choice. Not much on the little critters either. But I'd rather eat a squirrel than have it incinerated. Mmmmm, nutty goodness.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
A number of friends of mine who grew up in Vermont ate squirrel pretty regularly. Not now so much, especially since mom and dad aren't around to whup them if they don't clean their plates.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
Rhianne
Nearly done.

We call them 'tree rats'.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #11
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

MMmmmmm! Burgoo!

Quote:
Recipe for Burgoo Stew

8 squirrel brains (scrambled)
1 lb. venison
½ gallon chicken broth
1 ½ cups of sautéed peppers and onions
¾ cup of potatoes
Pinch of salt

Mix in pot and let simmer for 3 hours.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
If you genuinely mean WTF Grav, I'll elucidate.
Being a maritime temperate climate (cool, lots of rain), but having a taste for exotic food partly fuelled by Colonialism, a lot of food is imported into the UK. There is a push to encourage people to simply eat seasonally, and only have overseas food as a treat.

For example don't buy strawberries in February, as they have to be flown in from ?Guatemala? For sure have the occasional avocado, as they are not grown here, but try to wait for your asparagus and buy British when it's in season.

It's especially powerful when it comes to meat; we import a lot of lamb (for example) from New Zealand, as their seasons are the exact opposite of ours. But it comes halfway round the world. Instead, try some meat from your doorstep. Or the roadside

Of course free-range animals will always be more expensive than those caged and/ or cultivated. Hence squirrel not being a cheap choice. Not much on the little critters either. But I'd rather eat a squirrel than have it incinerated. Mmmmm, nutty goodness.
I'll buy that. I wanted to think "they don't mean airmiles literally", but, I see that they did. I overthunk it.

Kthxbai.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:21 AM   #13
GunMaster357
Professor

I would give it a try. Like those wild squirrels, I'm game.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:49 PM   #14
FishHook004
Paramour of Paradigm

Coming from a true Cajun from Louisiana, the best thing you can do with a squirrel iis make squirrel & dumplin's... Delicious
FishHook004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #15
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title