Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 05-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Pooka
Your Invisible Rabbit Friend

Potty Trained... well close enough!

Yay!!!

Just potty trained the 2 year old male child... am needless to say very happy!!! Have to gloat for a moment. No more diapers... he hasn't had an accident in public in over a week and is staying dry all night. We still have the occasional accident at home, but day by day it is getting better! I do still have to direct him to the facilities, but that beats paying $50 a month for diapers! The boy was much easier than the girl child... I guess because he is the youngest???
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
Flint
Snowflake

Has he pooped today? How many poops-per-day are we having?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

let us know when you get Flint Sr sorted out
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
Pooka

Yes he pooped about an hour after Morgi came home from school. THe average is one to two poops per day. He is still having a bit of trouble getting the poop on the potty consistently, but he'll get it... oh and Honey, this morning he stood to pee... it was pretty funny... he was like "wait Mama... like dis" and stood up and peed in the potty. I guess Pee Paw taught him that?
Old 05-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Flint
Snowflake

I've shown him how to do that a few times. He thought it was pretty cool, I figured it might motivate him.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #6
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Yay...good stuff. I can't wait to potty train Max. I just need to wait till his language skills are a bit more advanced.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Ah, potty training. Ha ha. Ha.

I just this afternoon tricked Minifob into pooping in the toilet against his will. Had to make him play at the computer buck naked (standing on a towel for insurance) and just wait until he started turtling, then pick him up and run him into the bathroom. The first time he pinched it off in defiance, but when I did it again ten minutes later he gave in and let the rest out. He was completely unimpressed by my extensive positive reinforcement, and so far we haven't been able to come up with a viable negative reinforcement--having accidents, being messy, or having to clean himself up don't bother him in the slightest.

But hey! After his 4th birthday at least I get to start deducting the diapers as part of a medical condition, eh?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Careful Pooka, we had the millimeter all potty trained for three weeks. It was awesome until she decided that she liked to "wait too long" or practice being master of her own destiny.

Now we are in this hellish no-toddler's land of not wearing diapers and not consistently using the potty.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
Pooka

It took awhile with Morgi... we started at a year and off and on tried the potty. It wasn't until I took the pullups away, dedicated a week to staying home with her just spending the time with her (no cleaning, no cooking... just hoovering over her) and told her that we Were going to do this and she finally did... it helped that I took her to the store and filled a large bowl with treats and stickers and goodies from the dollar section and let her pick out a "prize" every day that she did better than the day before. I realized in retrospect I could have done lots of things to improve the process.

With Flintsy I keep the potty in the bathroom and at first I took him every 20 minutes. After the first day I let him start wearing big boy underpants... I have 24 pair... just in case. I normally put shorts or pants on him too because I want him to feel like this is normal clothing... but I don't always. I don't let him run around naked because then I won't know if he had an accident until I step in it... if I do. After 3 days, I gave him 10 extra minutes if he didn't want to go when the timer went off. Everytime we sat on the potty he got a sticker on the chart wether he produced anything or not. He gets a little sticker for sitting and a big sticker for pooping or peeing. We read as many books as he wants while he sits. He loves this time. I try to make th books as interactive as possible. Sometimes I have him bring a toy to the potty and tell the toy what he is going to do and how to do it. We act out what is going to happen then he does it himself and holds the toy. This keeps his hands off his wiener which makes peeing more likely and accidents less likely ;-). Then I started taking him for trips and told him he had to stay dry and not make his car seat yucky or he'd be yucky all day. I also remind him every 10 min or so to "Stay dry". He hasn't had an accident yet when we weren't home. When he has an accident I tell him "Oh, you had and accident... where does the pee pee or poopoo go?" I say this very comly and without emotion. He answers and I say "OK, next time let's try to get it in ther ok?" I say that with a smile and a concerned look while rubbing his back... then I give him a big hug and pat him and tell him how proud I am of him and all his good pottying. He also gets "High 5s". Also we laugh about the sounds it makes... the plop or the sound of the stream. He gets pretty excited. We've read the Everyone Poops book and he cracks up. For both kids I have a car potty that goes with us everywhere. They go before we leave the house... I ask them if they need to go potty before we leave the car and upon returning to the car... sometimes we have to leave where we are to go potty in the car and then return to our business. I feel like a familiar potty at first helps.

My niece and nephew weren't pottied trained (and no attempt was made prior ) until they were 5 and 6... my daughter was pottied trained before them... at 26 Months. These kids supposedly got into the gifted and talented program at school...

One of my best friends whose daughter is the same age as mine ( 3 1/2) is just starting the process now after seeing that Flintsy is doing it...

Every kid is different... having the time to dedicate to it for about a week solid and sticking to it makes a huge difference. The structure and development of a potty routine are really helpful for any child... some take longer... some get it the first day... some don't fully until they are old enough to wash their own sheets.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
jinx
Come on, cat.

My kids got a sticker every time they were successful... the house was covered in them, but they both trained easily at 2.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #11
Pooka

I know what you mean Squirl... I've learned with my daughter that it is less about them and more about the parent. You have to watch for those cues and remind them to go sometimes. Morgi has been potty trained for over a year now and I still catch her doing the pee pee dance because she doesn't want to stop playing.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #12
Pooka

I'm glad to hear it Jinx. I've gotten some critisism from friends because they've thought my kids were too young. Morgi was 2 and Flintsy is 2... well almost 2 1/2. I think it depends entirely on the kid... verbal skills are huge plus.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #13
jinx
Come on, cat.

I don't see any positives to staying in diapers... too young for what? I've heard that too and I don't get it.
And they're not as easily bribed when they get older...
Old 05-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #14
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Too young? WTF is up with that? I mean, the sooner they use the potty, the sooner you stop having to buy expensive diapers, right? I don't understand that. Besides, doesn't every kid have their own "ready" time?
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
Pooka

My sentiments exactly!