The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

View Poll Results: How much is your monthly grocery budget per person?
$25 0 0%
$50 0 0%
$100 3 18.75%
$150 4 25.00%
$200 4 25.00%
$250 2 12.50%
$300 2 12.50%
$350 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
Pooka
Your Invisible Rabbit Friend

Monthly Grocery Budget

The grocery portion of our budget is the hardest for me to stick with. Historically I've just spent what I wanted, but we have a goal to pay off our van and this can easily be accomplished by setting a reasonable grocery budget.... so... I'm wondering what folks pay per month for groceries per person.
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Budget? What's that?
Old 05-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

"Per person" isn't really a fair measurement for us, because we've got two little ones who don't eat as much, and two part-timers.

In general we spend about $650 a month right now, but that includes a pretty decent outlay for diapers. In the past I've found that it was far easier to cut the overall food budget by cooking slightly larger dinners and always eating leftovers for lunch.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Pooka

I have a similar issue... although, I just got rid of diapers forever this past week... whooo hooo. I just wasn't sure how else to quantify things here.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
Cloud

I voted!

For your reference, here is another thread along these lines:

http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=2...t=grocery+bill
Old 05-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

My personal grocery budget is mostly just for me and the Diz-cat, although I do contribute to family meals.
And I know prices are higher over here.
Approx $150 keeps him in food and litter and me in ingredients, my share of the household purchases (washing stuff etc), lunches and staples like fizzy water. What? It's 10p for 2 litres!

I'd spend about the same if I wasn't living here, but I wouldn't eat as much or as varied a diet. I'd probably eat more healthily, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as interestingly. So I often chip in to buy bits and pieces of evening meals, but generally Dad does not like my style of cooking, and Mum defers to him. So instead of making vegetable casserole, Mum will buy a meat pie and I'll supply potatoes and veg for it. Or Dad will want shop-bought curry and I'll supply naan breads and bhajis (for the same price as I'd have paid to whip up a lovely vegetarian Balti).

I probably throw out the demographic though, given my unusual circumstances.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
Pooka

Thanks Cloud!
Old 05-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
DangerouslySimple
Resident Denizen

I voted for $100/person... but I'm kinda skewed as well. We spend about $750 a month on food items. Maybe some months it's more like $800? A couple months back it was waaaay more (infant in the house who didn't eat solids- no teeth, so she was solely on formula). I didn't calculate diapers or household items like soap and toilet paper.

My husband's diet just changed drastically, and he cut all soda from his diet. That saves us a lot of money... he used to go thru a 12-pack in a couple days.

I also recommend getting a small deep freeze if you are looking to save money. Every month or so my meat dept at the store I shop at has a HUGE meat sale- and meat is usually 50%-60% off. I usually clear out all of their hamburger, and some of their steak. Occasionally I'll buy salmon to freeze as well. Those high dollar items would be harder to purchase if I didn't watch for sales. I do the same thing for frozen pizzas when they go on sale 4/$10 or whatever. I could never do this if I didn't have my deep freeze. I absolutely LOVE it.
DangerouslySimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

3 men in the house. I refuse to buy garbage food anymore. We are now around $100 each. That is WAY down from where we were. We pop our own popcorn now and only get soda if/when its on sale.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
Pooka

We have a full size upright deep freeze and what I like to refer to as our "Mormon Pantry". I coupon clip like crazy and match with sales... I generally cut my grocery bill in half or more that way... I think stocking up helps for sure.

I'm just wondering what most folks spend... We were spending between $600 and $1200 a month which is really kinda crazy for two adults and two littles. Lately I've had us down to $50- $100 per week... roughly $200-$400 per month. It is really easy to go over and I don't want to be too restrictive, but I want a realistic budget... I think we've spent way too much in the past.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
jinx
Come on, cat.

I can't seem to get it done for less than $250 week plus whatever Jim spends eating at Wawa.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #12
Cloud

so, your budget is $1,000 a month? wow, and I thought mine was bad . . .
Old 05-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #13
jinx
Come on, cat.

There are 4 of us though, and I could easily spend more...
Old 05-10-2010, 06:01 PM   #14
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Australia is apparently the most expensive place for groceries in the western world. We rarely get out of the groceries for under $400/week. Often it's more. They did a study recently that turned up the fact that it's much more expensive to eat healthy than it is to eat junk (processed) food.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #15
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Australia is apparently the most expensive place for groceries in the western world. We rarely get out of the groceries for under $400/week. Often it's more. They did a study recently that turned up the fact that it's much more expensive to eat healthy than it is to eat junk (processed) food.
Expensive in the short run. In the long run I bet you'll be doing better. Not to mention that old chestnut, quality of life.

We spend about $250. a week. 2 grups and 2 metabolic infernos