The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 02-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #46
Pooka
Your Invisible Rabbit Friend

for a week... ehhh not so much... but could probably maintain it for a few days.

Unfortunatly despite the fact that he ate better than I've seen him... he still woke up ... and spank my hand... I nursed him and brought him to bed again at 3am... but I will say he did seem to settle better and he snuggled real good just like the good ol days and even let me roll over and snuggle Papa... for a little while anyway... so that all confirms for me... belly is not the issue... he has learned a behavior that works to get what he wants and is totally pushing me around... and given how much I hate baby screams... I will have a real hard time reprograming him so to speak.

It would be real nice if we could leave the kids at grandma's and have a weekend alone... give him a chance to get used to not having me availible all the time, but the last time we tried that ... I found out later that grandma sat up all night rocking him... so that really doesn't help... makes it worse actually...even if she says she won't do that I can trust that she won't...

I know my mom would sleep through any crying he might do... but I'm not sure that would be so good either... and she lives in Houston... so that isn't going to happen.
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #47
Pooka

Just tried Apple cider vinigar on the nipple before nursing him.... he had a little surprised look when he latched on, but didn't stop him. I have only let him nurse twice today so far... each time telling him he needs to start eating foods and drinking from his special cup... that Mama isn't always going to be able to boobie him ... but that she will always have food to give him when he needs it... just like Big Sister.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #48
Tiki

Cabbage and broccoli are said to often make breastmilk less palatable... maybe you can try to add those to your daily diet in various forms, and see if it helps him back off? Maybe it was the sauerkraut more than the hot dog, that did the trick.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #49
Pooka

Probably... not sure how many days I could choke down saurkraut. I like it and all... but not my fav
Old 02-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #50
Tiki

Maybe you can alternate with other members of the cabbage family? Bok choy, cauliflower, kale with ham, steamed cabbage, brussels sprouts, corned beef & cabbage, cheddar broccoli soup, steamed broccoli, beef & broccoli... you could probably be able to go at least a week and a half without repeating.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #51
lookout123
changed his status to single

Our boys were both ok with the bottle so they were weened from the boob without too much problem, but the wanting to sleep with mom and dad was still fairly difficult until we decided to let them just stay in their crib and cry. it grates on the nerves but you're going to retrain them at some point anyway. A couple of nights with interrupted sleep beat months of co-sleeping in my book. (obviously not applicable to infants)
Old 02-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #52
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

First you have to wean Flint.

{jking}
Old 02-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #53
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Cabbage is likely to give the baby bad belly aches. That's why they don't recommend it to breast feeding mothers.

I avoided having my kids sleep in our bed with us by never ever feeding them in the bed in the first place. I have to admit that once or twice I did sit on the bed and feed them, but that was during the day when it wasn't 'sleep time' for us. It seems to have worked because I've never had the problem of kids wanting to sleep in the bed with us.

ETA: Be Strong Pooka! You will get there. Maybe some earplugs for you too.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #54
Tiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Cabbage is likely to give the baby bad belly aches. That's why they don't recommend it to breast feeding mothers.

I avoided having my kids sleep in our bed with us by never ever feeding them in the bed in the first place. I have to admit that once or twice I did sit on the bed and feed them, but that was during the day when it wasn't 'sleep time' for us. It seems to have worked because I've never had the problem of kids wanting to sleep in the bed with us.

ETA: Be Strong Pooka! You will get there. Maybe some earplugs for you too.
If you have a small baby who is prone to gas, it's one of the first things that is suggested to remove from your diet, along with all other cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, but in general it's considered a very healthy dietary choice for nursing mothers, although some babies dislike the flavor it gives the milk.

Some recent studies even indicate that eating cruciferous vegetables while nursing may help protect their babies against certain types of cancer.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:20 AM   #55
Pooka

Unfortunately, I eat all those foods pretty regularly and he's never complained.... he is gassy, but that's never seemed to faze him... he's justa stinky little man... I guess it was the combo of horseraddish and saurkraut... who knows really. I don't think the food and the sleeping are related now... he is getting better at eating food day by day as I constatnly offer it to him and sippy cups... yesterday he only nursed 4 times total all day long... night time is another story.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #56
glatt

For us, the night time was dealt with by quietly marching them back to bed and putting them in bed without saying anything or really giving them any attention. Every time. And also just letting them cry. It was brutal for the first night or two, but after that they got into the routine and it worked better.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #57
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
For us, the night time was dealt with by quietly marching them back to bed and putting them in bed without saying anything or really giving them any attention. Every time. And also just letting them cry. It was brutal for the first night or two, but after that they got into the routine and it worked better.
You nailed it on the head. Ignoring a thrashing crying child for a full night, or a week of full nights, sounds brutal and cruel but it is not. At this point it really is the only way to get them off the teet. Giving them a cup to drink from, of anything other than water while in bed at night is a very bad idea too. You can't replace the teet with a plastic cup. I see lots of kids who "get a bottle because it is the only thing that makes them go to sleep at night", and they come in for full mouth restoration of their teeth under general anesthesia. Not a pretty sight.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #58
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Well I did the co-sleeping thing with both daughters, until about 18 mos-2yrs of age. We then made a big production of a new (big-girl)bed and sleepy time. It took about a week of them constantly getting out of bed and one of us immediately jumping up and taking them back to bed, for them to get used to it and stay there. My 3yr old loved the bottle, so once we weaned her off formula, we allowed her to have just one bottle, with water only, for when she goes to sleep.

My D13 was such a rabbity eater. She would barely touch her food. Ever. I was very concerned, but the pedia said she would eat what she needed, my job was just to provide healthy foods (not force them down her throat...figuratively speaking). Doc was right, she's growing up fine.

Time with daddy? What's that???

Seriously though, they do grow out of these stages. As exhausting as it is, one day they'll be all....'I do NOT want to be seen with you' and 'I'm much too cool for a kiss or hug!' and you'll miss these clingy, huggy, sleepless nights. Really.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #59
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

My wife and I started the bedtime routine with both of our children very early, within the first 3 months. We used a 5-10-15 method.

Put them down, let them cry for 5 minutes, go in, sooth them, put them down

Let them cry for 10 minutes, go in, sooth them, put them down,

Let them cry for 15 minutes, then go in, sooth them, put them back down.

For both kids, they never went past the 15 minute mark, and after about 3 nights of this, they both went down on time and stayed down. The same process works for midnight crying. Obviously, when the child is sick all bets are off, and you just have to hold them and rock them until they get down to sleep.

I'm not sure how important the 5-10-15 aspect is for the child, but for my wife and I it was psychologically very important. It gave us a plan, and a structure, and helped us feel like we were doing something and knew what came next in the process. Without that, it just becomes a disorienting blur of screaming and crying, especially in the middle of the night when you are both exhausted.

Sometimes just having a plan helps you make it through.

Good luck, and I'm sorry you're going through this. It's very hard.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #60
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Have you thought about painting scary faces on your boobs?

Not only will he never want to see another boob for the rest of his life, but you will have someone to give your shoes and dresses to when he's older.

Tags
breastfeeding