The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-21-2008, 04:18 PM   #16
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
Our neighbors are little old ladies--it's like having a free burglar alarm.
That's what my dad always said about our street. But it took him a long while to get used to the incredible nosiness of those same neighbors.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #17
Flint
Snowflake

My wife doesn't mind the nosiness, as long as it generates a long-winded chat session.

She's stuck at home all day with two little people who are not very articulate conversationalists.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:48 PM   #18
Clodfobble

And when those two little people get older, they will fiercely resent it when they try to sneak out, and the damn neighbors with their binoculars rat them out.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:58 AM   #19
Pooka
Your Invisible Rabbit Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
avoid fiberglass like the plague it is. The cellulose which we put in doesn't have formaldehyde (I wonder who told you that) it has boric acid as a fire retardant and insect retardant. Boric acid is what is used in eye wash. Very harmless unless you are a powder post beetle or termite.
Borates are great and I plan on lining the attic with it, but still the Formaldehyde concerns me... along with a few other considerations... here is a "green site" that discusses it:

http://www.greenbuilder.com/sourcebook/Insulation.html

"Cellulose insulation uses recycled newsprint that contains printers inks which can possibly outgas formaldehyde into a home. If there is any outgassing from inks, it should fall well below levels irritating most persons. However, an environmentally-sensitive person should be careful in selecting cellulose and install a vapor retarder between the insulation and the living space. (Note that the vapor retarder can exacerbate mildew problems if humidity levels in the house are high.)"
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:00 AM   #20
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Old folks - Check!

Got two sets, one of which, despite being 80+, managed to get out of his chair, outside and peeking through the "hedge" to see what I was having delivered (Wonderboard). When he couldn't identify it, he stayed there, puzzling it out until he finally tried asking me. In Spanish. Which I do not speak well. So I just smiled and shrugged and told him I do not speak Spanish (one of the phrases I memorised early on) and went back inside.

Do you live here, Flint? I thought you lived over in Austin or someplace?

Brian
Old 06-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #21
Clodfobble

He's up in the metroplex.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #22
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

How many Texans are in the Cellar? And with old people all around? And with attics in need of more or better insulation? How does one say "Yikes" in Texanese? But keep the info coming, I'm learning good info.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #23
Pooka
Your Invisible Rabbit Friend

Ok... I'm still torn. I've seen to this magical website of which you speak... and it is a bit more technical than I can handle at the moment. Figured... as there seem to be at least several of us hot Texans here I'd continue my thoughts on the topic.

Ok... so save for the ink, the cellulose is starting to look good again, but even so.. the Fiberglass I've looked at is certified by the Greenguard Environmental Institute for even the more stringent For Children and schools standards... and is an Energy Star Partner. No Cellulose insulations seem to meet those standards.

The more I research the more I am unsure of what to do. I'm even flipflopping on the radiant barrier... I'm now thinking that the foil variety is the way I want to go. I'm just wondering if there is any truth to what I was told... that with retro fitting you lose some of the effectiveness as it is not possible to get all the way down to the roofline with existing insullation in place. Thoughts anyone?

I should mention that while I'm not opposed to a DYI situation ... I want it done correctly... that is not to imply that Flint isn't capable of perfection... lord if anyone knows of his ability to strive for perfection it is me (and he most always achieves his desired goals), but he is so busy with work and school that the chances that it would be "himself" doing the install is slim... more likely would be another family member... who is also very busy and slow to complete projects... so paying a bit more for a professional and speedy job seems worthwhile to me.

Last edited by Pooka; 06-23-2008 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Thought of another point
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #24
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Forget what you read, go stick your snout into a pile of cellulose insulation, there is no formaldehyde. I know, my whole house is filled with cellulose, I've worked on dozens of jobsites where the stuff was a cloud in the air. I know the smell of formaldehyde from my photog days and from the eye watering stink of fresh plywood. Any formaldehyde which may have been present in the ink (I seriously doubt this too) has long since evaporated.

THis opinion and $1.50, will buy you a cup of coffee. (not at starbucks) then again, you can run but you can't hide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formaldehyde

(PS don't tell Clodfobble I linked to wikipedia)

As for certification, if you are willing to pay enough money you can have dogturds certified as safe. You must do your own research. Fiberglass is a carcinogen. PCBS are perfectly safe, ask Hudson River Voice, the folksy sounding grass roots organization which is a front for General Electric, who didn't really feel like spending millions and millions of $ to clean up their mess.

How much time do you plan on spending in your attic crawlspace anyway?

I'm a big fan of blown in insulation whether it is foam or fiberglass or cellulose. They each have drawbacks and strengths, what they all have in common is that by blowing the insulation in it fills all the nooks and crannies which placed insulation missess.

Good luck.

Oh there is also Adobe, I hear that is the real deal for the hotter climates...

Last edited by footfootfoot; 06-23-2008 at 08:57 PM.
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:35 PM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Or put a lawn sprinkler on the roof.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #26
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot
(PS don't tell Clodfobble I linked to wikipedia)
Who what now? I'm a big fan of wiki, I use it all the time...
Old 06-24-2008, 09:00 PM   #27
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Who what now? I'm a big fan of wiki, I use it all the time...
So you say
http://www.cellar.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=711
Old 06-25-2008, 07:48 AM   #28
Clodfobble

Dang it! Kagen didn't get the joke, and clearly no one else did either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagen404
wiki it stoopid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
[edit]Wikipedia, a large and successful website containing a wide variety of general information articles which may be edited by any user, is stupid.[/edit]
See, it's like he made a wiki entry, and then I edited it to fix his grammar and spelling and add an encyclopedic definition of the term... ah, whaddayou guys know about humor anyway.

I should have put [citation needed] at the end to make it better...
Old 06-25-2008, 09:03 AM   #29
Cloud

I don't have anything useful to add about insulation, or attics, or old people . . .

er.

But I would just like to say, everytime I see this thread, I think it's about aliens or space particles or something.

Radiant barrier--is this some kind of interspace membrane?

insullation Delima--sounds like Dejah Thoris' cousin; some kind of pouty empress throwing a party!

(sorry, Pooka--)
Old 06-25-2008, 04:00 PM   #30
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Dang it! Kagen didn't get the joke, and clearly no one else did either.
See, it's like he made a wiki entry, and then I edited it to fix his grammar and spelling and add an encyclopedic definition of the term... ah,
whaddayou guys know about humor anyway.
I should have put [citation needed] at the end to make it better...

As my sister id fond of telling me,"Leave humor to the professionals."