The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 02-23-2004, 10:20 PM   #46
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

UT you do as you see fit , this is your little slice of cyber space , rule it as you think it needs to be ruled .
All you whineing byotches that don't like it can take a long walk on a short pier .
Old 02-23-2004, 11:13 PM   #47
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

First off, thank you Warch. Your openness was appreciated.
      Now, with that said... No mention of privacy was made in UT's initial post on this thread. What he said was,
Quote:
If I feel a thread has an overall negative effect, I will delete it.
      So all of you sounding off about privacy must have skipped the beginning of this thread. That is a huge difference. Plus, the situation mentioned here wasn't being discussed in Syc's thread. So, using this as a reason for deleting that makes no sense. I say that because I think that everyone that's coming down on Syc for his response is really not paying attention. He made a moral decision for a solid reason. If you can't understand that, well maybe you don't understand his morals in regard to censorship. That actually scares me.
      Christ, I understand some of UT's hurt now, but I don't jump band wagons just to maintain the status quo. That's exactly what I think many of you are doing. The attitude is, "Shhh, keep your mouth shut so we can keep the cellar." No, I'm not a major player here, I lurk more often than not and few would miss me if UT lined me up for deletion next, but that's no reason for me to shut up. If you think it is... I guess I didn't think the people around here were like that. If UT wants to delete what I have to say, or even my account here, he has the might. So be it.
      Damn it all though, I started posting here because of UT's philosophy on not throwing his weight around. I need to know if that's changed. That's exactly what his initial post said he'd be doing. Again, privacy wasn't mentioned originally, which I can understand, but that doesn't explain deleting Syc's thread.
      So how 'bout it UT? I've advocated giving you some space from the beginning of this thread. Still, I'd like to know, have the principles you once based your way of doing things changed or not? I can't demand an answer of course, nor would I try. I just want to know, as some guy you'll never meet in front of a monitor somewhere, what's next?
Old 02-23-2004, 11:42 PM   #48
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Whit, my 2 cents.
The thread in question, was at least in my case, questioning Syc's retreat from the original conflict and Dave's contributions to the cellar. Mostly painting Dave in the victim's light. Obviously I (and others) did not have the information in this thread. I'm guessing Tony decided to stop that trend of vilifying Syc and deifying Dave and take the heat himself rather than exposing warch to any. Feh, typical Tony. Now warch has laid it all out, I can see why he had this ongoing anger that I couldn't understand, from the original conflict. My bad, I should have just trusted his judgement and not probed when LJ or Syc brought it up again. Maybe I'm not the only one but that's no excuse and I apologize to everyone.

Syc, don't make me come over there.:p
Old 02-23-2004, 11:43 PM   #49
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
1) You should be thankful that warch cares enough to put that out there;

1a) You should sincerely apologize to her;

1b) You should understand why, if she weren't married and truly in love with her spouse, and thus not a violation of decades of believing in each other, and half a country away, I would pursue her, because she's awesome;

2) You should understand why Dave could continue to ask "what did I do? what did I do?" knowing we weren't going to SAY IN PUBLIC;

2a) You should reassess your ability to figure people out;

3) You should be pissed at yourself for believing that the Cellar would be anything different after the fact;

4) You should understand why moderation is necessary and why a completely free message board is utopian and maybe even undesireable;

5) If you said you were gonna outright leave, you BETTER outright leave, because you're in such deep contempt right now that I.... let's just say this keyboard might need replacing.
Who is 'you'? Is 'you' me?

What are you going to do if I don't leave? Delete my posts?

I don't understand why you're so mad at me. You're really beating your keyboard? What did I do to incite this? I really would like this explained, as I've always attempted to avoid behavior that I thought would create such a reaction in anyone.

I guess to avoid redundancy, I'll attempt to guess your answers.

"You tried to figure me out!"

Oh, horror of horrors. So what? I can't be wrong? What's so bad about telling me I'm wrong, I accept it, and we both move on? It could have been that simple. It's not as if I'm holding the torch for some ill-concieved idea. I simply asked if it was true, and you got all offended. It wasn't a claim, it was a question.

Furthermore, I see nothing wrong with trying to understand people's motivations. At least I was man enough to ask you if I was right, instead of assuming so and not telling you. I knew that doing so would be a sure way to become a fool, so that's why I brought it up.

If you plan on deleting any thread that goes in a "negative direction", then the Cellar is destroyed in my mind. You might as well change the name and add avatars -- it wouldn't be the same. I don't want to leave, but if that is your plan, then I must, because it's no longer the Cellar.

I've thought about it a lot, though, and I could forsee a situation where I might react the same way if there was a discussion about my personal life. I still think that a better solution would have been to selectively delete posts and lock the thread. If it's only your plan to delete threads of a <i>highly</i> personal nature, then I suppose that I might be able to live with that. Not that you care, because you hate me, for some unknown reason..?

Anyway, sorry to post after I said I wouldn't. Don't worry.. until I'm sure that my posts won't be deleted at UT's whim, I won't post outside this thread. I sometimes spend hours composing posts. It simple isn't possible for me to invest that amount of time knowing they might be deleted. And I wouldn't invest less, because shitty posts just wouldn't be Juju.

Last edited by juju; 02-23-2004 at 11:53 PM.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 12:11 AM   #50
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I wasn't supposed to tell you this juju, but ....

...sorry, everyone, I'm going to tell him....

Before this gets out of hand, you should know that you're on candid camera. This whole thing was done just to try to get you to leave. But now, with your departure imminent, I find myslef remiss of the role I've played in the effort. You see, we staged the whole thing. Tony hired me to come on here, gain your trust as an active member, and then start a "fight" between two of the most prolific members. Then he pretended to react really "over the top" and then dave pretended to get mad and leave. ( he's been posting this whole time as FileNotFound, using my mother in law's address in springfield. he is a creation of mine. I picked the kind of car he drives, that he likes to drive fast, and comes from russia....dave insisted on him being rude and aggressive. He's had a hard time of it posting so much less than he was used to, but, i think he did really well. )Then we started laying the ground work for this "play" we just preformed for you. We had to find a plausible reason for tony to begin actively moderating. The psych profile that sycamore performed on you using data from your reactions to my random seeming jabs indicated that fear of censorship was your hot button. So again, we had tony react a little zealously, and at just the right moment, attack you from your blind side, and push some of the blame toward you. As expected, you took the bait, and said you were leaving. I just won $5 each from all three of these guys who said that would be your last post. i knew you wouldn't give up that easy, and would make at LEAST one final farewell post.

Boy I feel so relieved....the pressure is just melting away. Tony, you can keep my fee, my work here is done.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:05 AM   #51
mrnoodle
bent

Then I'm not getting kicked out?
Old 02-24-2004, 01:25 AM   #52
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by mrnoodle
Then I'm not getting kicked out?
I don't remember reading that.:p
Old 02-24-2004, 01:35 AM   #53
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I think Mr.N likes to think of him self as a negative influence (just a guess), therefore gone if UT's serious about enforcing this.
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; You and I are all sweetness and light though, therefore safe. Right Bruce?
Old 02-24-2004, 07:20 AM   #54
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Juju,

Please feel free to go to the other message boards where the moderation suits you. That will save your fucking precious time. God knows there's NOTHING more important than Juju's fucking time. Entire marriages are more important than Juju's fucking time.

You could start your own message board, with money out of your own pocket, and moderate it however you like.

Oh that's right, you DID do that! Please tell us, how'd it go?

Thank you for saying you understood why I did what I did.

Thank you for apologizing for posting.

Fuck you for not apologizing for anything else.

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 07:48 AM   #55
jaguar
whig

Jesus christ I wander off for a few months and someone dropped a big fucking can of napalm it appears.

For the record is appears by the end of this thread Dave(however and whoever he is now, Syc, Juju and UT are all being cunts.

Last time I was here you were all sane adults, it's a pity to see this little conflict do so much damage to such a great community.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:02 AM   #56
novice
Ignorance is bliss and I'm orgasmic

As a nobody, unfamiliar with the exact personal circumstances of those directly involved I would like to offer a possible solution.

Undertoad has defined new rules. It's his forum.
I will worry about them in the unlikely event he ever finds it necessary to enforce them.

Meanwhile, I propose this and any "Dave " related threads be deleted.

Those who wish to leave ( or have been specifically asked) do so without fuss or histrionics.
The rest pretend it never happened until we forget it ever happened.

Simplistic, perhaps, but I don't want to see this place collapse.
novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:26 AM   #57
juju
no one of consequence

UT, you didn't answer any of my questions. Don't I deserve that much?

Why are you so mad at me? What did I do?
Old 02-24-2004, 08:27 AM   #58
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Fuck you for not apologizing for anything else.
What am I supposed to apologise for?
Old 02-24-2004, 08:32 AM   #59
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Please feel free to go to the other message boards where the moderation suits you. That will save your fucking precious time. God knows there's NOTHING more important than Juju's fucking time. Entire marriages are more important than Juju's fucking time.
What are you talking about? Who's marriage is at stake? If you mean Warch's, then from what I've been told about the situation, that's ridiculous. Why would her husband even care?
Old 02-24-2004, 09:19 AM   #60
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

1) In this case, I swear to fucking Christ almighty, there is nothing more than what you've now been told. But given that the whole thing evolved over you getting ticked off around a problem that you couldn't be told about, and that this is now clear... why on EARTH would you press this question?

2) He wouldn't care. Almost certainly not. 99.999% chance. BUT: do you like the odds? Wouldn't you do whatever you could to ensure that a completely innocent situation, aggravated by a set of morons, one acting psychotic and clearly bent on causing harm in any way possible for no reason at all -- messed with a marriage -- AT ALL?

What's more important, removing that 0.001% chance... or running a message board with YOUR concept of what ideal moderation is?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote