The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 02-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #16
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Raw, and skinless, but not trimmed of any fat. Also, I microwave the pears a bit so they're soft, and include just enough of the released liquid to make it flow. Thanks, V!

(And if you're wondering what to do with this chicken goo after you've made it, try pancakes. )
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #17
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster
OMFG $450^ for a blender! I consider myself very lucky I don't need to blend lots of stuff. I would need a demonstration that blended the price tag to make it easier to swallow
It's $378 on Amazon, which isn't much better, I admit. But it comes with a 5 year replacement warranty, no questions asked as long as the only thing you try to blend with it is food. And right now I'm destroying a non-commercial grade immersion blender at least every 6 months, and the chicken is being a lot harder on it than my previous usage. Paying $30 every 3 months is still more than paying $378 every 5 years.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #18
Flint
Snowflake

We paid $600 for a Vitamix, including the dry module.

This is the best investment of $600 that we have ever made.

Right out of the package, it is apparent you are handling an industrial-grade piece of machinery. It is heavy. Solid. Feels as indestructible as an army tank. The motor could probably power a small motorcycle.

I will ask Pooka to post here, outlining the various things she does with this miracle device. The key point with which she convinced me that we should purchase this thing was that a $600 up-front investment pays off with a lifetime of healthier, more "whole" foods--as you can make your own flours (with the aforementioned dry module), juices, etc.

As we eat something as innocuous as spaghetti with meat sauce, she'll tell me the list of vegetables that have been puréed into the sauce--and mind you, these are the entire vegetable(s), obliterated into molecule-sized bits.

I will ask her about what you're trying to do with chicken. I can tell you right now, you're not going to hurt the blender.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #19
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

We use this to puree and make shakes.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #20
wolf
lobber of scimitars

WRT Will It Blend ...

I have that Chuck Norris doll here somewhere, with the amazing karate-chop action. Unless of course, it kicked it's way out of the box I keep it in to go off in search of evil-doers.

I had some comment or another about the glow stick one too, but it's wandered away out of my brain ... unless it was that thing about that Letter to Penthouse Forums or Ask Xaviera from the early 1980s.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #21
Pooka
Your Invisible Rabbit Friend

I got my vitamix last Christmas and I love it. I use it every single day. I have both the wet and dry attachments. I sneak every veggie I can into just about everything and can even make my own flours. I love it so much!
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #22
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Raw, and skinless, but not trimmed of any fat. Also, I microwave the pears a bit so they're soft, and include just enough of the released liquid to make it flow. Thanks, V!

(And if you're wondering what to do with this chicken goo after you've made it, try pancakes. )
This is done.

1 -- The pancakes were astonishing. How did you do that?

2 -- There is no stringy anything left in the blender. At all.

Pictures on the way.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #23
busterb
NSABFD

Clod, did you try semi-freezing the chicken? I do that with cooked livers and gizzards for dirty rice. But then again, that's to stop them from becoming goo.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #24
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
The pancakes were astonishing. How did you do that?
I didn't do anything, it's a basic intro recipe from the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I needed it because Minifob hates all meat with a passion and we were told we had to force protein into him one way or another because he absolutely must start gaining weight. The pancakes have no meat texture, so he was willing to accept them drizzled liberally with honey. He eats 4 a day now and has gained 3 pounds, but I am spending all fricking morning making them, and that has to stop.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #25
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

When I think the internet, nay the whole world has turned to shit...
Then.
Then..
Then...

I read one of Clod's posts and realise there are still awesome people out there.

And many of them are here.
The Cellar is a haven of sense and reason and caring. Many Dwellars touch me (Matron!) with their intelligence and class. Often.

And Clodfobble is my bridge over troubled waters. Again.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #26
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
This is done.

1 -- The pancakes were astonishing. How did you do that?

2 -- There is no stringy anything left in the blender. At all.

Pictures on the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I didn't do anything, it's a basic intro recipe from the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. I needed it because Minifob hates all meat with a passion and we were told we had to force protein into him one way or another because he absolutely must start gaining weight. The pancakes have no meat texture, so he was willing to accept them drizzled liberally with honey. He eats 4 a day now and has gained 3 pounds, but I am spending all fricking morning making them, and that has to stop.

Ok, here we go.

Pear, cored.
Name:  IMG_8773.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  164.5 KB

Pears, cored, PEELED, and microwaved for about a minute. There was no moisture extracted here, the plate was barely wet.
Name:  IMG_8776.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  60.6 KB

Four boneless, skinless chicken thigh filets.
Name:  IMG_8777.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  68.7 KB

Same thighs, cut into chunks with kitchen shears. This is standard practice, it only added a minute to the process (and one messy hand). Name:  IMG_8780.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  76.7 KB
Old 02-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #27
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

You put your thigh chunks in,
Name:  IMG_8784.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  59.2 KB

You put your pear chunks in,
Name:  IMG_8787.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  171.6 KB

You push the button then,
Name:  IMG_8789.JPG
Views: 209
Size:  148.6 KB

And you whirl them all about!
Name:  IMG_8790.JPG
Views: 204
Size:  172.0 KB
Old 02-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #28
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Spinning ahead here a little bit. There are videos of the actual blending, I may or may not include them, they're boring. In the last image of the previous post, you can see chunks of chicken still. That means it was not completely blended. One thing I've noticed with this blender is that it can sometimes take the bottom bit of food and puree it fast and effectively. Then what happens is it cavitates, making a little bubble of air at the bottom shielded by goo in this case preventing the rest of the food from ever reaching the hypersonic blades. The picture above actually shows the result after using a wooden spoon to mix up the goo from the first thirty seconds of blending with the unblended ingredients. Then came the videos, etc. In other recipes, ice turning to water makes this particular step unnecessary.

Now, this first picture is after I'd finished blending the mixture and poured it out into a bowl. No scraping, only pouring and shaking and rattling. I was specifically looking for unblasted chunks of anything, like, say, stringy fat. I didn't expect any here, and I didn't see any here. But it does look a little messy.
Name:  IMG_8795.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  156.9 KB

Now the same blender container, but rinsed only with warm water. I checked the drain screen in my sink, nothing was rinsed out that got caught by the screen. Looks pretty clean in there.
Name:  IMG_8797.JPG
Views: 216
Size:  153.7 KB

It is pretty clean in there. I shot through the side of the container, at the place where I expect you find those stringy chicken threads. Nothing. It's not *clean* yet, it did just eat a couple pounds of raw chicken, but there's nothing there that will require my finger or a tool to draw out. No stringy chicken fat.
Name:  IMG_8800.JPG
Views: 203
Size:  112.1 KB

Your pancakes. Well, my pancakes. I tried cooking them without oil, that didn't work. And I murdered the first few trying to turn them prematurely. The second batch in the skillet turned out much more "pancake-y". And dwellars, I tell you, they taste like regular pancakes with maple syrup on them. They're moist and sweet.
Name:  IMG_8805.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  72.8 KB

I bought enough pears and chicken to repeat this experiment. If I do it again (seriously, that's a lot of chicken pancakes), I'd be willing to try the recipe without peeling the pears. There's no way in the world the blender will notice. I might try not cutting up the chicken, also in an attempt to streamline the process. As for cooking them, I don't know. They seem to take a long time to cook. Can they be made ahead of time and reheated? I do that with my regular pancakes.

Awesome recipe, thanks!
Old 02-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #29
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

What is the blender container Not Safe For?

Great pictures. I'm sure it tastes good but it looks oogy!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #30
Clodfobble

Awesome! The Betty Crocker Test Kitchen has nothing on BigV, I tell you what. Thanks so much for all the details, V!