The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 01-31-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
mrnoodle
bent

Colon cancer

Get a colonoscopy. Today. If you're over 50 and haven't had one (a real colonoscopy, not a barium enema), pick up the phone and make an appointment to get one.

We took dad into the hospital yesterday for tests to see what was causing him to run a low-grade fever and to lose weight. I think my foreshadowing was blunt enough that you can guess what the test revealed. Although a sigmoid something or other and barium enema 3 years ago came back clean, a full colonoscopy revealed a polyp large enough to cause 60% blockage of his colon. The pathology results come back tomorrow, but the doctor says that he's certain that the tumor is malignant.

How long he's had it, no one knows. Once they've verified malignancy, they'll schedule more scans/tests/pokings/cuttings to find out how far it has spread. At this point, all we can hope for is that it's not in his lymph nodes -- but that's a long shot. Nothing that big on the inside could have failed to involve something on the outside.

Anyway, we're at the start of a long, hard road. At best, we have surgery and recovery to deal with. At worst (and what is with every passing hour looking more probable), mom won't get to grow old with her soulmate, and our family will be dealing with the umpteenth cancer death in 20 years.

I was going to post this in the support group thread, but I have a feeling I'll be writing a few more posts about it.

I feel like someone has been punching me in the head for the last 24 hours.

Thanks in advance for any prayers and good wishes you can send out.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:52 AM   #2
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Yeah, I had a whole 9-yards one done last year. Then you're good for another 10 years. The prep is the worst part -- OD on laxatives but the procedure drugs are good I'd post pics but if you've seen one, you've seen 'em all...

and best wishes to you and your family.
barefoot serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:28 AM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

mrnoodle, my good vibes are indeed heading your way. I will say a prayer for your dad and your family and please remember: they will need you, take good, GOOD care of yourself so you can be there for them.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:54 AM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

So sorry to hear about this. My Mum had a close friend who survived bowel cancer, and a work colleague that didn't I'm sorry to say. As you wrote, you are at the start of a long road and it's not one I would wish anyone to set foot on.

All I can offer is my full sympathy and hopes for the future for you and your whole family.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:58 AM   #5
marichiko

Oh, Noodle! So sory to hear! Yes, one prayer coming right up! Sometimes, Doc's paint the grimmest possible picture, just in case. This has happened to me. I was once told that I had so much damage to my larnyx after a car wreck that I would never be able to speak again and that the first time I got so much as a cold I wouldn't be able to breathe anymore due to an obstructed air passageway. I went up to University Hosipital in Denver (Outstanding medical care, there, BTW), and the head of their ENT department worked magic on me over the course of two surgeries and here I am breathing and talking away. Let's hope that a similar thing will be true for your Dad.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:02 AM   #6
glatt

I'm sorry, mrnoodle. Hang in there. I wish you and your family the best.

Makes me wonder about my Dad. I know he's had the barium one done. I need to ask him about that.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:46 PM   #7
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Dear mrnoodle:

I am shocked and saddened to hear your news. Please rest easy in this one small comfort--my prayers are with you and your father and your family. I pray also for wisdom and skill and compassion for the doctors and nurses and others that care for him and your family. Even if it's all I have to offer, I'm sure you know it's no small thing. It counts.

God bless your dad, you, and all your family. Please post again, if you feel the need. I will be here for you.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:21 PM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

noodle, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:29 PM   #9
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

mrnoodle, my thoughts and good wishes are with you and your family and this difficult time. Look after yourself so that you are best able to help those around you, and come back here and vent whenever necessary (but you don't need me to tell you that!).
Old 01-31-2006, 05:12 PM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle

Thanks in advance for any prayers and good wishes you can send out.
Will do. sorry man.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:00 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sorry to hear that, man. Best wishes to your Dad and his supporters.
Quote:
Get a colonoscopy. Today. If you're over 50 and haven't had one (a real colonoscopy, not a barium enema), pick up the phone and make an appointment to get one.
What are you, nuts. If I don't know it's there, it'll just go away, right?
Old 01-31-2006, 06:22 PM   #12
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Really sorry to hear about your dad. I've had GI tests before, and while they were uncomfortable as hell, the price of not getting them done is worse.

In your father's case, they did catch it, so things might not be as bad as they seem. Take a deep breath and brace yourself.

I'll add my prayers to everyone elses.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:10 PM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Good luck man. Cancer is not the death sentence it used to be!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:14 PM   #14
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

It's probably not really my place to comment here being so new etc, but my heart goes out to you MrNoodle. It's a terrifying feeling that you have right now and I can only say that this feeling will pass one way or the other for good or bad. If the news is good, well praise be to all the Gods in the universe, but if it's bad, I recommend you explore all avenues, not just the ones offered by conventional doctors. You never know what's going to work and what's not, so keep an open mind, and stay as positive as you can.

My thoughts are with you.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:40 PM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I recommend you stick only to conventional doctors. Medicine works best when science is used to back it up. While you may not know what's going to work and what's not, the doctors will. That's why cancer is not the death sentence it used to be.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote