The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 10-07-2005, 11:48 AM   #61
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
I'll let you know what happens...haven't gotten any word yet, and my lawyer had a death in the family over the weekend, so it'll be awhile before I learn court dates, etc.
Woo hoo! Went to my DMV hearing this morning, and the arresting officer didn't show up. So, I get to keep my driver's license.

Court is on November 10, but another happy development is that they lost my second blood sample, so I never got to have it retested. I may just be able to avoid all this nastiness.

New self-imposed restriction: If I ever drink a beer again, I will not drive a vehicle until the next day. Never. Cab fare is now part of any evening out. In fact, I will never use my own car to drive to a place where I plan to drink.

Lots of bullets were dodged here. Lots of people were praying, too. I don't think it's a coincidence, but you're free to disagree.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:17 PM   #62
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Just make sure you've learned from the incident...nothing wrong with being lucky/blessed.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 01:27 PM   #63
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

noodle, i think praying really makes a difference.

I've had loads of fox-hole prayers...and, still---I've made it thru.

don't drink and drive. get someone else to do it. (JOKE! HUGE JOKE!)
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:09 PM   #64
jaguar
whig

Quote:
look theres two woman fucking a polar bear.
that made my evening.

Back to the original question, my theory is simple enough, there's a lot of shitty things in the world, corruption, greed, hate, the list is pretty fucking endless, it's hard not to get pissed about at least some of the stuff that goes on, at a personal, local, national or international level. Personally I find it's a good motivator.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:57 PM   #65
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Glad to hear it, mrnoodle. Make sure the resolution lasts longer than the memory of your fear.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 04:12 PM   #66
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I reckon they'll last exactly the same length of time. Mine do.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:39 AM   #67
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
.... In fact, I will never use my own car to drive to a place where I plan to drink.
Good fortune!

I always use a stolen vehicle when I go out as well.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:11 AM   #68
elSicomoro

I used to take Griff's Subaru all the time when I lived out that way.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:14 AM   #69
Griff
still says videotape

I've been meaning to ask you about all the body parts in my wheel wells btw...
Old 10-08-2005, 09:19 AM   #70
elSicomoro

Don't ask, don't tell, bro.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:59 PM   #71
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Yeah, Griff. He paid you for that headlight.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:17 PM   #72
marichiko

And speaking of the Colorado cops, get this:

A few nights back I got behind the wheel (sober!) to make a quick run down to the local town post office to check my mail. It was about 8:00 pm on a week night and the streets were DESERTED! The post office is situated at the intersection of two one way roads at a stop sign. Soooo... if you make a right turn to pull up in front of the post office, there is no way on God's earth that you could possibly pull out in front of another driver - well, maybe at the height of the tourist season if some drunk from Cleveland had managed to navigate three blocks driving in the wrong direction, but tourist season is over.

I slow down, glance over for any headlights from the hypothetical drunk going the wrong way, and without coming to a complete stop, drive the additional 20 feet and stop in front of the post office.

Out of nowhere, officer pulls up behind me with his red lights flashing. This is obviously the most fun the local cops have had in days, because the cop who usually hangs out at the local speed trap and who had been trapping no one even came down to join in the fun. The noble boys in blue conferred over my licence and documents for a good 20 minutes. You'd have thought I was dressed up like a Muslim cleric caught trying to carry a ticking package into the post office.

They gave me not one but two tickets for failure to come to a complete stop at a stop sign, because speed trap cop had remembered me pulling the same stunt earlier this summer.

$100 in fines and 4 points on my licence!

I'll see 'em in court! Jeez!
Old 10-08-2005, 10:19 PM   #73
wolf
lobber of scimitars

So you intentionally violated the law and got pissed off when you got caught.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:33 PM   #74
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Your lucky he didn't beat you with his nightstick and ask if you wanted him the slow down or stop.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:48 PM   #75
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
So you intentionally violated the law and got pissed off when you got caught.
I could stomach ONE ticket, Wolf. Yeah, I did break the law - oh criminal me, turning onto a street where no traffic could be expected to be coming from without pulling to a COMPLETE stop in case of any imaginary drivers. Lock me up for 20 years! Me and every single other resident of this town, by the way. NO ONE comes to a complete stop there.

Its the SECOND ticket that gets me! So speed trap cop remembers seeing me not come to a complete stop once before? HUH? So why didn't he give me a ticket THEN? How is that legal to ticket me for a supposed infraction 3 months AFTER I allegedly committed it? Since I'm such a menace to society, why didn't speed trap cop stop me before I "killed" again? Its not like there is anywhere I could have made a quick get away to. The street the post office is on is a dead end. He could have cornered me easily!

The SECOND ticket is the one that feels like harassment to me. I'll make the damn town spend $100 prosecuting me over it. They can pay speed trap cop's salary to come testify against me; they can pay a judge for his time to hear the case in court; they can pay the DA's salary to press forward with the case; and they can pay for my court appointed lawyer if it comes to that!

Last edited by marichiko; 10-08-2005 at 10:58 PM.