The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 08-23-2005, 10:56 AM   #16
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

I think that people seem angry because they no longer listen. They already have their canned rants ready and prefer to come across as a jerk. I've seen it on here, I've seen it on TV, I've experienced it in real life...
Old 08-23-2005, 11:28 AM   #17
mrnoodle
bent

Yeah, I got the lawyer. In CO, unfortunately, what happens with your license and what happens in court are two different things. The DMV oversees license revocations, and they have no power to make judgements on anything but the blood test. If it's over .08, bye bye license, even if you are the grandmother of the governor. No provision for a work license either. The only two things that could conceivably change this outcome are: 1) the alcohol swab thing, 2) the fact that flouride is present on the cap of the vial they keep the blood in, which could cause the blood to ferment and thus invalidate the results if the second test shows a change in BAC, and 3) the arresting officer fails to show for the DMV hearing.

As for the court part, the best result (again, barring a no-show by the arresting officer), is that I can plea down to first-offense status based on the fact that I completed the requirements for a deferred sentence on the first one (no offenses for X years, class, community service). The first one being the time that I was sleeping in my car in my friend's driveway with the keys in the ignition.

Yah, beer is expensive for me.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:43 AM   #18
marichiko

Sorry to hear about the DUI thing, Mr. Noodle. They ARE very tough on that here in Colorado.

I think your post sort of proves my point, though. No, you're not in danger of being eaten by a saber toothed tiger, but, like many folks, you have a high background level of anxiety going on. Not saying that you do or do NOT do this, but its very easy to take one's frustrations out on the Internet.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:50 AM   #19
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

MrNoodle--how about telling them that you burped RIGHT BEFORE you blew into the breathalyzer?

And I know this is too late, but:

Don't ever submit to the breathalyzer. Ever.

And, PS I'm not mad. I'm moody.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:00 PM   #20
mrnoodle
bent

They make it worse for you if you don't. You think they haven't heard, and made adjustments for, every excuse known to man? They bully you from start to finish. Technically, I didn't have to roll down the window of my car and speak to the officer at the checkpoint. But realistically, I would've been in worse trouble by not doing so. I did the tests, including the retarded track-the-pen-with-your-eyes hocus pocus (bright lights in your face, anyone?) I was told that I was going to jail, then they said if I took a blood test, they'd release me on a PR bond at the scene. Right. I already knew that I could blow another breath test at the station instead, but he wouldn't tell me what I blew on the initial test until I had completed the paperwork. I didn't know if an additional breath test would help.

They run you through like a cow at the slaughterhouse, applying shocks and pressure where necessary to get you down the chute. The tactics are designed to keep a truly drunk person off-balance and controllable, but I wasn't drunk. I just knew that they were going to have their way or make it hell on me all the way.

Don't try to tell a cop his job. He sees a dozen armchair constitutional experts a day, and they all go to jail. Better to get in the system without a fight, and give them as many opportunities as possible to screw up, something they excel at.

Last edited by mrnoodle; 08-23-2005 at 12:02 PM. Reason: self incrimination
mrnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:28 PM   #21
marichiko

Yeah, and so much is just luck of the draw, too, Noodle. I was stopped by the cops once on New Year's Eve. I was all dressed up in my finest, complete with a pair of very stylish, very high heeled shoes. Well, the cops had me get out and wanted me to walk a straight line. I flashed my heels at them and said, "You really expect me to walk a straight line on this icy road in THESE?" They conferred with each other for a while, then one of them laughed and came up to me and told me to just go ahead and drive home. Safely of course. Saved by the bell! Or in my case, my high heels. But for the grace of the god of fashion, I could have been in your same predicament!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:31 PM   #22
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Don't try to tell a cop his job. He sees a dozen armchair constitutional experts a day, and they all go to jail. Better to get in the system without a fight, and give them as many opportunities as possible to screw up, something they excel at.
i disagree. (really? lookout disagrees with something?) seriously though. they may bully and threaten you that it will be worse if you don't do what they ask, but there really isn't anything more they can do to you as long as you aren't belligerent or threatening in your manner.

Ex. 1 = after my experiences i won't use a breathalyzer. about a month ago i was leaving a bar and was pulled over about a block away. the guy was fishing for a DUI by stating he wanted to check the registration on my new truck. he asked if i had been drinking and i told him that i'd had two beers with dinner. he said that i was going to have to do the field sobriety test and a breathalyzer. i told him, very politely, that i refuse to comply but if he likes i would willingly go to the station for a blood sample. he threatened me with all kinds of crap, but in the end he told me to drive safe and sent me on my way.

Ex. 2 = after my experiences i refuse to deal with bike cops without a second officer present because they don't have cameras to record events. When i got pulled over about a year ago by a bike cop she got extremely pissed when i told her i would only open my window a crack, but wouldn't step out of the vehicle until she had a second officer on the scene. she was even more pissed when i told her the reason was that i don't trust single bike cops without a camera on them, but she had to give in and request another officer.

they can't go out of their way to jack with you or beat you with a nightstick just for exercising your rights and asking them to comply with the laws they are hired to enforce. lets face it - with the shortage of qualified LE out there, we aren't dealing with the cream of the crop in many instances.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:32 PM   #23
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
I didn't know if an additional breath test would help.
That can actually go either way ... if enough time passes between tests (1/2 hour or more) AND your liver still works pretty good, and it's a sufficient length of time since you stopped drinking ... your BAC does go down.

I've heard different amounts on that, though, anywhere from .08 (this is what I remember best) to .25/hr. I'm pretty sure the .25 is wrong, because if we send someone with a .25 to the ER s/he is guaranteed to be there for a couple hours before we deem them medically stable enough to bring back in.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:48 PM   #24
mrnoodle
bent

i learn the coolest things AFTER they won't do me any good any more.

paying cash for time machine, pm me.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:11 PM   #25
lookout123

well, how do you think we know some things? we learned them after it was too late for us. nobody is going to be sitting at the bar with you and say, "lishen here mishtrnoo *hic*dle, if you get*hic* pulllled ove' tnight, asshhk fer ablud tesh - ish yer right*hic*" they will invariably sit at the bar the next night and say "know what you *hic* shhhoulda done?"
Old 08-23-2005, 01:26 PM   #26
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
i learn the coolest things AFTER they won't do me any good any more.

paying cash for time machine, pm me.
Is John Titor still around? He'd probably let his go, cheap.

I learned about breathalyzers from an operator standpoint, you know, the side the numbers point towards.

I have never been pulled over for DUI. I am not saying I have or haven't been eligible to have been pulled over for DUI, I'm just saying it hasn't happened.

Learning how to become invisible helps a lot.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:30 PM   #27
lookout123

i hear that having all of the local LE well aware that you can outgun them helps as well.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:41 PM   #28
Hobbs
Professor for the school of ass-clownery

My wife claims that I have been really grumpy lately, and I have. I don't know why. I grump at the kids, the wife, and the little things that don't matter. I think some people just like being angry. For me, I think it's genetic. My mom's pretty much unhappy, has been all her life. Bitches and complains about everything even if it's a positive thing. Some people like confronation too. They like to argue for some reason.

BTW Lookout, I completely aprove of the use of the word asshat! I personally like assclown myself, but that's just personal preference. Asshat sounds more...angry.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:48 PM   #29
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
i hear that having all of the local LE well aware that you can outgun them helps as well.

The guy who arrested me the first time competed in the same local pistol shoots I did. He can't shoot for crap. He didn't know me, unfortunately -- not that it would've helped.

re: invisibility
I got in the habit long ago of using side roads (but not too far on the side), not making eye contact, not projecting myself mentally, not speeding, not tapping the brakes, avoiding known patrol routes. Used to be out of necessity, but now it's just habit. The checkpoint was very cleverly situated to screen out people like me.

All this stuff doesn't really address the root cause, however. If you drink anything stronger than a Shirley Temple, don't be behind the wheel in Colorado. They get positively moist at the thought of it. Loads of revenue and an almost bulletproof prosecution scheme. If I had taken a baseball bat to a homeless pregnant woman, I'd have a better chance of ducking the consequences.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:10 PM   #30
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs
Some people like confronation too. They like to argue for some reason.
I don't think the Cellar would exist without folks like this.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote