The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-27-2005, 06:24 PM   #31
lookout123
changed his status to single

i'm ignorant as to how therapy is helpful. if you know there is a problem, why do you need someone else to help you fix it?

math? beyond basic algebra i left it all in high school.
chemistry and physics? piss me off.
i understand the idea of how to build things (shelves, benches, cabinets, etc.) but when i attempt to actually build something it is never successful.

i've studied it, but i can never remember which silverware is for what food item in nice restaurants.

i don't get large group semi-formal social interaction. at black tie events i'm the one standing in the corner not talking so that i don't make an ass of myself.

computers? i know where the power switch is usually.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:47 PM   #32
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I am one of the seven out of five people who don't understand fractions.

Also I have only a vague understanding of when to use a semicolon, despite looking it up in "the elements of style" at least three times a year.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:08 PM   #33
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
so how is it supposed to be pronounced?
Yoo-LISS-seez
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:12 PM   #34
Katkeeper
Hoodoo Guru

My lawn is a disaster! I have tons of weeds, one of which was so prolific 2 years ago that I had a severe allergic reaction to its pollen after making the mistake of cutting the lawn while the weeds were producing in quantity. Do you think the world of plants was getting back at me for my inattention and abuse of their members?

I have actually put an organic weed suppressant on the lawn this Spring. We'll see waht happens. Organic fertilizer is next, apparently. I am getting advice from a friend who has gone this route. I don't want to encourage the lawn too much, but I do want a little grass in with the weeds.
Katkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:19 PM   #35
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
so how is it supposed to be pronounced?

Yoo-LISS-seez
oh, ok. that is how i was saying it. i didn't realize we were only talking about the stressed consonant (sp). i was trying to play it in my head...

oo-lis-eez?
yoo-ly-seez?
Old 04-27-2005, 08:24 PM   #36
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katkeeper
My lawn is a disaster! I have tons of weeds, one of which was so prolific 2 years ago that I had a severe allergic reaction to its pollen after making the mistake of cutting the lawn while the weeds were producing in quantity. Do you think the world of plants was getting back at me for my inattention and abuse of their members?

I have actually put an organic weed suppressant on the lawn this Spring. We'll see waht happens. Organic fertilizer is next, apparently. I am getting advice from a friend who has gone this route. I don't want to encourage the lawn too much, but I do want a little grass in with the weeds.
I can't read people, not even a little. So I try to be nice to everyone and hope the good'uns I've been good to will clue me in when I'm going to get rolled. Its a system but not much of one.

(I think you can substitute Euro for Gyro)
Old 04-27-2005, 09:05 PM   #37
Guyute
Gamehenge

I still have no FUCKING clue how a solenoid works, or why we use them over a switch, even tho my Uncle ran a dealership's body shop for 20 years and explained it to me probably 20 times...it makes no sense.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:18 PM   #38
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar
I dont understand how air going under the wing pushes it (the wing) down, thus causing lift? Huh? I know it has something to do with air pressue, but..uh..after that you lost me...
Have you ever noticed when you are in the shower that the shower curtain keeps moving inward towards the stream of water? That's because the moving water creates an area of low pressure. The high pressure on the outside of the curtain moves toward the area of low pressure which moves the curtain inward. If you light your bic and blow to one side of it, the flame will move to that side towards the air stream. Same reason.

Same with a plane wing. The assymetrical shape of the wing makes the air moving over the top of the wing move faster than the air moving across the bottom of the wing. So, the air pressure on top of the wing is lower than it is on the bottom. The air on the bottom, then, moves towards the top and pushes the wing up as it does.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:23 PM   #39
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
Same with a plane wing. The assymetrical shape of the wing makes the air moving over the top of the wing move faster than the air moving across the bottom of the wing. So, the air pressure on top of the wing is lower than it is on the bottom. The air on the bottom, then, moves towards the top and pushes the wing up as it does.
Too much information here...
Old 04-27-2005, 11:08 PM   #40
Murphonian Logic
Deprogramming dave matthews cult members

Like most people, the older I get, the more I realize how ignorant I am. I do know some things. The vast majority of my brain is allocated to pop culture references, song lyrics, and sex. I've learned that I read much more than most people; and I'm constantly surprised how many people I meet who equate reading with a root canal with no anesthesia. THis brings me to the vast wasteland of what I don't know:

I'm endlessly using words I've been reading for years and butchering the pronunciation.
I understand money, but math ended for me in the 9th grade. In college I was in "Remedial Math 050". They called me the white guy; and I made some cool friends who also thought algebra was pointless and annoying.
The stock market. All I know is my 401k has been tanking for years.
I utterly fail to understand the mass market appeal of DMB.
Until I was about 27, I was sure "approximately" meant "exactly precisely" Oops.
I know eights of an inch, half inch, quarter inch, but if you point to 5/8th's of an inch on a ruler I can't help ya. I generally hold the "stupid end" of the tape measure when working with anyone less retarded than myself.
I sell computer hardware, and some of the "techs" I talk to baffle me daily.
I live in a house with 2 cats and I don't understand their appeal. All they do is meow for food, for attention, cover my house with cat fur and make at least one room smell really bad. Ugh.
Murphonian Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 12:46 AM   #41
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I don't know what DMB is.

There was a period of about 20 years in my life in which I "balanced" my checkbook by deposting money and not writing it in the checkbook so I had an automatic buffer against bouncing checks. My secretary explained the whole concept of balancing for me, and a trick I could use to start over without simply opening a new account at a different bank and closing out the account that I have been not managing for the last 20 years. I liked my bank just fine. I just didn't know how much money was in my account.

I didn't know that solenoids were used in anything other than pinball machines.

I don't know what solenoids are used for in pinball machines, but I know they are in there, and are part of what makes pinball fun and exciting.

I could have taken Ken Jennings. No sweat. Just so long as there weren't any categories requiring knowledge of music recorded since 1992.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:52 AM   #42
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
Yoo-LISS-seez
Yup. When you are a 5-year-old kid and you say it wrong nobody pays any attention, but when you do it in your Freshman Lit class and your teacher gets a whiplash .... I have to also confess an even worse one. The name of Odysseus' wife was Penelope. I had to learn much later that it was not pronounced PEN-ee-lope
Old 04-28-2005, 03:35 AM   #43
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw
CD's, DVD's, VHS tapes, cassette tapes, vinyl records, etc. How does stuff get in there? And how does it work?
I don't get this at all and it really bothers me. I will marry the first person to make me understand.*

*This may not be true.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:53 AM   #44
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katkeeper
My lawn is a disaster! SNIP Do you think the world of plants was getting back at me for my inattention and abuse of their members?
Reward...they're all green.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:57 AM   #45
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Tonchi do you have any deep-seated problems from discussing Ulysses at the age of 5?