The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 04-06-2005, 04:55 PM   #16
Cirocco
Jotter of Notes

With any luck, they are thinking about selling the $500000.00 McLaren, and cutting back the hooker/coke consumption a bit.

Guys like Rodriguez scare the crap out of the fatcats, and their investors, because they will not be able to make the calls they once did, and the idea of someone exposing one of the big houses to anything contraversial, or truly on the edge, and drawing the ire of the institution, is the opposite of how business has been done to date. (long friggen sentance. Sorry bout that.)

A friend of mine got a production credit on The Tuxedo, and swears that some Dreamworks exec had his 6year old critique dailies, and he'd then call set and suggest script rewrites on the fly. Aparently his son was "very bright" in his dads estimation.
Cirocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 03:13 AM   #17
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Once again, wolf nails it. See. This. Movie. In the cinema, if possible, dvd if not. I just saw it tonight, at the last chance theater for three dollars! I'll probably go see it again tomorrow. What a fucking grim show. I dug it.

So, wolf, how are the novels? I had not seen anything but the trailer online, 20 minutes before the movie. NO preconceptions, and it exceeded them spectacularly. Kind of reminded me of Pulp Fiction meets Kill Bill. The Dick Tracy connection works for me too.

I originally tried to entice young SonofV to attend with me, but his desire to play with his cousin exceeded my desire to have him with me. Well. THAT worked out nicely *shivers* NOT a kid movie. His "graphic novel" speed is stuck in Calvin and Hobbes gear, which is A-OK with me for the foreseeable future. Hell, I never grew out of Calvin.

Awesome film. Awesome. Will be added to my corner of the home library of films. The small corner that is inhabited by films no one else in the house knows or cares about. Films *I* get because *I* like them. Hehehe...bitchin movie.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:45 AM   #18
jaguar
whig

The Orphanage handled the VFX, those guys rock. I've been a Miller fan for ages, I own most of the Sin CIty books, I got one signed when he was over here quite recently so I knew what to expect. Silly me, couple of friends who it appears are a little more squemeish than me and didn't know what to expect (or thought they did) came. By the time Marv had removed all of the guy's limbs they were curled up in the fetal position.

I loved it of course.

The stories they chose to weave together were interesting, I suppose the deaths of two lead characters helps add dramatic height to the film but I'd love to see them do the Blue Eyes ones or just to get the moralists really screaming, Daddy's Girl.

Wolf - make sure the version you get has all the original cover art in the back if you're not getting originals.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:33 AM   #19
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have the graphic novels up to vol 6, and they do have the cover art.

I don't hang at the comic shop the way I used to, and don't have the damndest clue of what's cutting edge or up and coming any more.

I read the stories after I saw the movie, and felt that the movie was a fantastic adaptation.

It's like the graphic novels were used as storyboards.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 12:37 PM   #20
jaguar
whig

They were, literally.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:44 PM   #21
ashke
Don't look at me!

O.o

I have got to see this. The trailers were so... cool. XDDDD
ashke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 05:42 PM   #22
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Saw the movie again, last night (weeknight, late show, pass the coffee ). Day-umm. What a rockin flick. I spent the hour following the movie (12:05 am- 1:20 am) standing in front of the theater, just talkin about the show with my friends who came along to see it for the first time. Described by my (movie PRO) friend as "post-post modern nihilism" or some shit like that. Awful, harsh, jarring, shocking. A technical tour de force. Makes me want to break out the HeavyMetal collection in the basement.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:14 AM   #23
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You should not have friends who use phrases like "post-post modern nihilism".

Even if you live in Seattle.

If that bastard ever uses "deconstruction" or "deconstructed" in a sentence that doesn't refer to building demolition, shoot him.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 06-17-2005, 09:26 AM   #24
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I saw it awhile ago... For the record, I really liked the movie. But I have a skewed perspective on movies and things. What I am about to say did nothing to lower the movie in my esteem, only Robert Rodriguez.

The sound design in Sin City sucked ass harder than any theater-release movie I've ever seen. Now, maybe, just maybe, Robert Rodriguez didn't do his own sound design, which was my first assumption (there were people walking in front of us during the relevant part of the credits.) Maybe he somehow talked (read: drugged) a professional sound designer into giving him his particular vision of what constitutes "sound noir." But either way, the sound design sucked. The effects were mixed poorly, most were inappropriate to the action, and background noise was almost nonexistant throughout the film. Not only that, but most of the dialogue was echoey, indicating that it was recorded in a non-sound-proofed room, which makes sense given that I think I read somewhere that the whole thing was shot green-screen in Rodriguez's personal home studio.

Also, it should be a rule that directors don't get to compose their own music. That's like retailers starring in their own commercials, it's just bad business. There was exactly one scene's music that didn't sound horribly amateurish and out-of-place, and I'm willing to bet it was composed by one of the other two people who supposedly helped Rodriguez with the music composition.

But visually, it was nice. Story-wise, it was awesome. Robert Rodriguez can do both of those. He just needs to accept that he can't do aural.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:10 AM   #25
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

C--I saw the movie in the local "last-chance-before-video" theater, not a the pinnacle of cineplex evolution (smallish screen, ?? sound, and seats purchased from a Spanish Inqusition yard sale), but hey, it was only $3. Acceptable deal for me, I'm cheap.

Anyhoo. My question, I actually did notice the sound/music at at least one point and that was the opening credits. I noticed it enough to want to buy it. Did you notice it too? What was your opinion of this segment? Who performed it, what's the title?

Sorry, got a little carried away with the Inquisition image. heheh. carry on.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:51 PM   #26
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Sorry, I saw it so long ago, I can't remember what the opening track sounded like. I just remember my overall impression of it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:02 PM   #27
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I think that your critique of the sound design is probably quite accurate ... and therein lies the problem. You're a professional at that sort of thing, and so you naturally key into the flaws because you wouldn't permit that in your own work. It is entirely possible that the rawness you perceived is as much a part of the film's effect as was the harsh and even sometimes grainy black and white photography.

How shall I say this ... you don't want to be sitting next to me whenever there's a movie about a nuthouse on ...

Old 06-17-2005, 01:08 PM   #28
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

movie=suspension of disbelief

take a deep breath.

Hey that gives me a thought about a new thread! What movie, movies, kinds of movies do you find hard to suspend disbelief while watching.

*sets off to new-thread-land*
Old 06-18-2005, 10:11 AM   #29
jaguar
whig

I didn't think the sound was awesome, some bits were good, when the chopper lands in the farm there's a great bit there but the sound wasn't overall, that good. Whether it's like some of the dialogue, ironically cheesy I don't know.

Quote:
If that bastard ever uses "deconstruction" or "deconstructed" in a sentence that doesn't refer to building demolition, shoot him.
That would wipe out entire suburbs of inner london.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:40 AM   #30
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Probably would benefit society.