Old 02-26-2005, 01:48 AM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Damn Hippies.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:53 PM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Exclamation

Today the USPS brought forth, Gashead – Knuckles Avec Sombreros, and it was (is) good!
Nice sturdy jewel box, shrink wrapped but without that annoying damn holographic seal.
Cool artwork and while the guys were recording, Amy went down to the slums and took pictures of some derelicts for the little booklet. She even took some prop instruments for them to pose with.

Well, if the band doesn’t work out they can open a restaurant, because these boys cooook!
While I’ve taken the liberty of kidding them a little about the pictures, they’ll have the last laugh because I can almost guarantee I’m going to get a speeding ticket listening to this CD.
Screw it...it’s worth it!
Old 02-28-2005, 09:59 AM   #19
mrnoodle
bent

Smile

Ya know, it's funny you should mention restaurants and derelicts. Every band should have at least one cool practice space in their history, and that was ours.

We used to rent the basement of a diner in "downtown" Greeley, CO as our practice space. The little stair I'm sitting on in the picture actually goes to a tunnel that runs under the highway to a basement across the way. As the story goes, it was used for one of two things: as an escape tunnel for the prohibition-era liquor runners that had set up shop there (either across the street or in our basement - not sure which), or an access/escape for patrons of the brothel that was run in "our" basement. I know it was a brothel at one time, but I can't vouch for the booze-running story.

Anyway, the place was dank, cold, and we expected to find bodies in the walls when we were searching around for electrical outlets to plug amps into.

What made it so cool for a hard rock band is that Pete (the owner of the diner), had used the basement for a haunted house the prior Halloween, and had left a bunch of the stuff up (the wizard/monk/whatever guy in one of the pics was one prop). There were fake cobwebs, since it was too bloody cold for real spiders.

Bruce, like I told cowhead: if there's ever a GasHead army, you can pick out your own tank to drive. Hell, you might get a division. \m/
Right now I'm the only one who even owns guns, so "army" might be a forward-looking term

btw cowhead, i might be interested in that cabinet if the price is right - plus if i come out to buy it you can buy me a PBR at your favorite rock joint.

Last edited by mrnoodle; 02-28-2005 at 10:03 AM.
mrnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:49 PM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Right now I'm the only one who even owns guns, so "army" might be a forward-looking term
That's OK, I've got enough for the whole band...and groupies....stagehands...spouses/SOs....both hands.
btw- ex-girlfriend's kid has hooked up with Amos Lee and will be on Letterman Wed 3-2. They are opening for the Dylan Tour this spring.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:12 AM   #21
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

I was wondering something.. if you like drag the river, have you looked into Lucero?
Old 03-02-2005, 05:20 AM   #22
cowhead

shit if it's still there.. you can more than likely just have it.. it's been sitting in Mikes garage for 3 years (Mike is the other slurry guitar player) I'll ask him and get back to you on that.. and yeah.. I'll buy you a pbr at my favorite watering whole.. http://www.replaylounge.com/ damn bass players! ah well... you never know, it's close enough. I don't know who is doing the booking right now (there has been a bit of an employee shake up as it were, but there or the jackpot (the replays sister bar) would be a good place not to get screwed.. the bottleneck... damn! we opened for DRI a few years ago, 15$ ticketmaster bullshit.. the place was packed! uh.. we got 50$ which I wasn't too unhappy about I got to drink a beer with DRI! (old hero's !) and met the guys from 8 buck experiment.. nice bunch of fellas.. oh by the by papa roach are/is a bunch of pretentious jerks) ah war stories! I could go at it for a while! care to chew the fat?
Old 03-02-2005, 10:10 AM   #23
mrnoodle
bent

Never heard of Lucero.

Nate has played with DRI in the past, too. He has tons of war stories from his Mandrake days. The only stuff I can relate is after-party stuff, but not with any famous people. but chew away! I like stories. I'll get natedog on here sometime to tell about playing with cradle of filth. i think he uses the internet about once every 6 months.

hey there may be stories in the future, though. there's already lots of underground chatter about the upcoming gig, and we're getting a friday drive-time plug on KBPI. hell, we should do charity gigs all the time all we need now is a bassist. Got a couple auditioning in the coming weeks. Right now I'm playing for shit, I hope I get loose before Friday...
Old 03-08-2005, 04:21 PM   #24
cowhead

well. war stories? wow.. uh let me dust off those braincells to see if they still work.. okay, well lets start with a shoulda been story.. okay, we had been getting radioplay on one of the local stations (klzr.. which used to kick some ass, but they switched from a good format to a top 40 one a few years ago.. to attract the lucrative topkea market..uh.. right..) SO! having been around for a while, we had gotten a little bit of a following, actually it was mainly people booking shows who liked us not so much the general public. things as far as we had seen it were kinda drying up, and my ex g/f at the time was begging me to move to S.Carolina and the other guitar player was just finishing his schoolin' and getting ready to move to LA. (where he still is).. so both guitar players headed to opposite coasts... well.. I come back the next winter to visit the folks for xmass.. run into our lead singer, and after babbling for a while he tells me that right after I moved (and Seth was still here!) a concert promoter had approached him about us opening for Green Day (at memorial Hall.. seats about 12,000) on the dookie tour.. and he didn't call me.. 'cuz he didn't think I'd want to play that show.. uh, I would have eaten my own foot (with sriracha of course) to play that show. (although in all honesty playing infront of that many people would have been terrifying) so suffice to say I have never let him live that down
Old 03-08-2005, 04:29 PM   #25
cowhead

and hell yeah! charity gigs!! man... I don't think I can recall how many we played, although the ones that were the most fun was one for breast cancer (I don't know about you, but I like breats ) ) and the other two were ones that we started, the original idea was that since most of us were getting older and don't want to go out all the time (or can't due to familial obligations) that one sunday up at the skate park we would get bands to come up and play.. just as an excuse to get out and grill, skate and rock out. well the first one was great! we got 10 local bands to come out and play for free (although there were a couple of booths for habitat for humanity and operation wildlife that people could donate if they felt like it) it went off without a hitch.. so we tried it again next year, also went off without a hitch, the downside was that we had to turn bands away from playing.. we had 30 some bands wanting to play from all over the two state area... guess we got good press from it.. the thing that sucked is that the city heard about it also, and demanded that if we were going todo it again we had to get 500k in insurance... so it was either get corporate sponsorship or quit.. well.. we didn't have another one.. which sucks. although I've been working on doing a mybabydaddy day show as I know a ton of single mothers (and not in the biblical sense..damnit!) and all the punk rock kids ought to get to know one another. damn, I am a liberal aren't I?
Old 03-08-2005, 06:07 PM   #26
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Cowhead, maybe you could talk the city into sponsoring an "open mic for bands" day.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:19 PM   #27
404Error
Lecturer

I was sitting around today loading songs on my new iPod and got into listening to some Satriani tunes. It made me think of this thread so I finally got off my ass and ordered the Land Speed Record CD from the BitterRivals.com site. Can't wait to play it on the iPod!
Old 03-08-2005, 07:55 PM   #28
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You should have ordered Knuckles Avec Sombreros also. Git on it.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:09 PM   #29
404Error
Lecturer

Damn it. I probably should've ordered both at once, I don't know what I was thinking.

Oh wait...that's the problem, I wasn't thinking.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:48 PM   #30
mrnoodle
bent

yes, knuckles is the new one. LSR is good too, i'm just not playing on it, so i don't get the ego boost. I'll let mike know you care though