The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-26-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
mrnoodle
bent

TEEVEE

So I was flipping through the channels just now, and got to thinkin. I remember when there were 3 channels, color TV was still a luxury (and a piece of furniture), and if the president gave a speech, that's all there was on TV.

Just now, when scanning the little online guide thingy, I found 4 channels showing reality shows about people who do tattoos.

AT ONCE. Right at this moment. It's unbelievable.

I became instantly overcome with ennui and irony and had to come share that with you.

Just so didn't totally waste your time, though let's start talking about TV memories we remember from back in the day. Favorite episodes, stuff your family watched together, you know. Mr. Ed or Yu-Gi-oh or whoever.

I just remembered that when my granddaddy was alive, and Circus of the Stars came on TV, he would get so outraged at the vulgarity of the suits taht the performers wore that he would huff out of the room and go stomping elsewhere. For like 3 minutes. Then he'd come back and watch some more, till they got him redlining again. And Clint Eastwood -- granddaddy said "i bet he wears lace on his underwear".

Clint Eastwood, no less. I miss my granddaddy.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:09 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

My mother's nursing home, err ... extended care facility offers television for free. Most nursing homes require residents to bring their own televisions, this one supplies them.

However, it doesn't supply much in the way of content ... just the local broadcast channels.

I expect that from the minute mom gets home she'll be watching Food Channel 24 hours a day. She's been having Barefoot Contessa withdrawal something fierce.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
mrnoodle
bent

I hate that your mom is in a nursing home, wolf. we jsut went through that thing 3 years ago ourselves (I miss nana, too). I hate that it's finally dulling, cuz she deserved to be remembered in technicolor.

<3 and prayers your way, chick.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:15 AM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Thanks, noodle!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:37 AM   #5
Madman
has left the building.

In 1969 we lived in a place called Highland Pines, AZ. Elevation 7,800. Population: 16 (four in my family). Literally the sticks. Dead smack in the middle of a National Forest. School bus stop was about 10 miles down the mountain.

TEEVEE? We had one! Got one channel. Two if we turned the antenna - which was mounted on a 30 foot pole outside a window, in the right direction on a clear day or night.

We could pick up our neighbors CB on our TV's UHF.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:53 AM   #6
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

We had 3 or 4 channels. Believe it or not, there were times when there were two things on we wanted to watch so I had to sit in front of the TV and turn the station knob back and forth.

Wizard of Oz was a family event every year.

Saturday mornings were ruled by Sid & Marty Kroft.

We actually looked forward to Labor Weekend for the Telethon.

In our area (Bri will get this if she has always lived in this area) you didn't miss Clubhouse 22 after school, with Duffy the Dog, Stan the Man, and the amazing "Pick-a-Box" which was later upgraded to Pick-a-Door. I won a Nerf Frisbee as a 'booby' prize one time.

I first heard of HBO when my friend in JrHi returned from FL and told me about it. I thought she was full of crap. Yeah, right!

It's like one of my earlier threads...I LOVE technology and choices and all that comes with those things, but we've lost something. What? I don't know. A certain innocence?
Old 09-27-2006, 07:59 AM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

People with more money had a control in their living room which would actually turn the antenna with a little motor.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:28 AM   #8
Shawnee123

LOL...we had one of those. I remember telling a friend that recently and he was teasing me that I was in a rich family. Believe me, we were not. But my dad did like the gadgets, which is why most of my and my brothers' childhood was caught on 8mm and Super8 film.

I can still hear the whirring of the antenna.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:43 AM   #9
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

[grumpy old man] I remember when we had to get up off our ass to change the channel or adjust the volume. And we watched commercials, goddammit! We had one television for the whole damn family. Cartoons were only on Saturday morning until noon. There were 4 channels (including PBS) until UHF was developed in the mid-sixties, then we got 3 more! Wooped-dee dooo! Finally, we got Wee Willie Weber on weekday afternoons, showing cartoons. We got color TV in 1972, and cable hit our neighborhood in about 1978, but we didn't get it until about 1985! And when we got it, there was this wire that connected the box - not remote control - to the tv.[/grumpy old man]

Wee Willie had some pretty cool shows on, like Speed Racer, Ultra Man, Eighth Man, Prince Planet, Marine Boy, Johnny Cypher in Demension Zero - all Japanese, probably considered anime today.

There were some pretty far-fetched short run comedies. Anybody remember Captain Nice? Mr. Terrific (was that it?)?
Old 09-27-2006, 08:49 AM   #10
Madman
has left the building.

Yogi Bear and Boo-Boo, Mighty Mouse, Underdog, Fractured Fairy Tales. All classics! I loved them.

Now they have monster robots, funky animated stills, yuk cartoons, super ugly horror critters and flashing TV screen that cause seizures. TV cartoons suck now - except for Sesame Street and Tele-Tubbies.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:52 AM   #11
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

The great thing about modern cable/satellite is that pretty much *all* those great old shows are available at one time or other, so you can re-experience the nostalgia should you choose to do so. Granted, we'll probably never see the really obscure ones, 'cause if they didn't make money way back when, they probably won't now, but still...we have lots of choices these days.

My favorite ancient TV memories? Winky Dink and Me (you put a plastic cover on your TV and drew on it, making a picture that then became part of a scene in the show), The Banana Splits, Sky King, The original Mickey Mouse show with Annette, Cubby, et al ("Meeska, Mooska, Mousketeer; Mouse Cartoon Time Now is Here!"), Superman with George Reeves as The Man of Steel, The Tonight Show with Steve Allen...and Captain Kangaroo.

I'd use up all of UT's bandwidth if I went on.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:07 AM   #12
glatt

When I was a wee lad, there were 3 networks and PBS. B&W, of course. The new local cable co had just started up and offered a deal where you could get a month of cable for free on a trial basis. We signed up, and my Dad told us very matter of factly that the cable would be removed at the end of the month, because he wasn't paying the monthly fee. That month, I think we had 10 channels, including channel 56, all the way from Boston. It showed great kids shows all afternoon. We loved it. Channel 9 was the French language channel, and it would show French movies with some nudity on Friday nights. My parents wouild send us to bed. At the end of the month, my Dad had the cable disconnected as promised.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:10 AM   #13
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I think we had 10 channels, including channel 56, all the way from Boston. It showed great kids shows all afternoon. We loved it.
Like Zoom? I so wanted to be a Zoom kid.

"Boston Mass Oh 2 1 3 4...send it to Zoom!"
Old 09-27-2006, 09:29 AM   #14
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Clutch!

Nothing like Synchro-Vox!!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 09:31 AM   #15
glatt

The original ZOOM was awesome. The stuff those kids would make! Like the kid who made an AM radio by winding wire around a tin can. then he climbed an enormous tree next to his house to put an antenna wire in it. You'd never see that today.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote