The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: Are ghosts real?
Yep, they're the spirits of the deceased. 9 33.33%
Paranormal experiences are actually natural phenomena that we misinterpret. 11 40.74%
Paranormal occurrences don't happen -- it's all in your head. 6 22.22%
They're spiritual beings, but not people -- they're demons/fairies/something else. 6 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2005, 09:52 AM   #31
Brett's Honey
whatever

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
Oh, and when my father died, I had a premonition about it the day before.
My Mom says that, back in 1961, in the couple of weeks before my younger brother died unexpectedly at three months old, she had sudden thoughts such as - "What will I do with this room when the baby dies" and "I wonder if we'll move after the baby dies", etc. In the last couple months before my daughter died, I felt like I knew she wouldn't make it, I still had hope, but I just kind of knew.... We've decided these thoughts and feelings are coming from our angels who are trying to prepare us for what is going to happen. Whether these angels are friends and family who are deceased...well, probably, we're not sure.

Mom was alone in the hospital room with her Dad right before he passed away. He hadn't been alert or said anything for the last few days, but about 15-20 minutes before he died, he started talking to several people - all people who had died before him. She said he sounded very happy to see them.

And I don't beleive in reincarnation, but there are a lot of stories that could be explained by it. My parents said I freaked them out sometimes when I was little (too young to remember this), many times when we went to a place that I had never been, I would say that I had been there before, when I was a little boy.
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:41 PM   #32
mrnoodle
bent

Resurrected for halloween

Post your ghost stories here. Tell the truth.

A few years after my granddaddy died, we were all at the house for one of the biannual family get-togethers. It was about 10pm, and everyone had gone to bed. I was in the bedroom that adjoined a tiny utility room for the washer/dryer, which adjoined the kitchen. The doors were closed so that the air conditioners could keep the bedrooms cool. I was the last one awake, and wasn't even approaching tiredness yet, so this was completely real to me and nothing to do with dreaming or any other altered state of consciousness.

I want to wax poetic about all the memories in that little house, but I don't really have time, and now that it's gone, it makes me a little sad. So I just erased a bunch of stuff. Back to the ghost part.

Granddaddy had a pair of hard-soled slippers that made a distinctive sound when he shuffled across the kitchen linoleum. He didn't quite slide, but he didn't pick his feet all the way up, either. You knew it was him by his particular cadence -- you know how it is. Anyway, I heard that sound in the kitchen. I immediately tried to dismiss it, thinking someone else had to be in there, but no light was coming under the crack between the door and the floor, so that meant the kitchen was dark.

I got goosebumps all over me, but I didn't get scared per se. Then I heard a chair being pulled out from the table. Granddaddy's chair was the one closest to the door on my side, and it was that chair being pulled. At this point, I was listening very intently, trying to decide whether to jump out the window or open the door and look into the kitchen. I couldn't have done either because I was rooted to the bed and probably couldn't have been dislodged with heavy equipment.

That's when every single cabinet door in the kitchen (there were maybe 10?), one by one, opened and closed like someone ran from one end of the room to the other trying to beat a speed record. The entire event took no more than 20 seconds from beginning to end.

I asked the next morning if anyone had been in the kitchen after we went to bed, and no one admitted to it. The thing is, you know what your family sounds like in the house. That was Grandaddy. I never got really fearful; I felt an odd combination of goosebumps, sadness, and longing. That was before I learned to turn off that sensitivity to things ghostly.

I still haven't told my mom that story.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:30 PM   #33
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

My grandfather owned a little funeral home in Indiana. My father and his brothers were required to help run the place. A funeral had just ended and everyone was out at graveside. My dad was pulling the letters down to post the next info for the next funeral. He heard the front door open and someone walk from the hard floor to the carpet and into the bathroom. Large door makes alot of sound. Having to go himself he waited a bit before he knocked, no answer. He went inside and no one was there. No windows, no where to hide.
There was an apt built onto the funeral home so that one of the boys could stay there at night in case there was a call. (In their town the hearse had to double as a ambulance). The apt opened into the funeral home. My dad had just laid down when he heard a knock on his door, thinking it was his dad, he got up and checked, again no one. All doors and windows were secure into the funeral home.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:32 PM   #34
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Heeehehee...your signature line defeats your story!
Not disbelieving you, just pointing it out!
Old 10-24-2006, 01:38 PM   #35
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123
Heeehehee...your signature line defeats your story!
Not disbelieving you, just pointing it out!
Damn you're right, I didn't even think about that. Oh well, they're stories from my dad, who knows how truthful he and his brothers are being. All of his brothers have atleast a story or two.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:12 PM   #36
bbro
Insert witty comment here

I have a couple, some come from my mother though.

My experiences all take place in my grandfather's house. He had this big ranch (that's the one with all one floor, right?). The cool thing was that one of my great-aunts lived on one side and another lived behind him with a stone path commeting all the houses. If anyone was coming from those houses or my uncle's house they would come through the back door. It was an old screen door that would bang and creak. The house itself had a very specific noise when walking from the back door, through the hall and into the front entryway, dining room and finally the kitchen where I was sitting by myself wrapping up silverware for Thanksgiving. To this day, I KNOW someone came in the backdoor and walked through the house. I think it was my great-uncle that had lived in the back house.

Another time, I was going to sleep in "my room" in the same house. It used to be my mother's room. My grandmother stayed there for a brief time while before she finally had to go to a home for Alzehimer's. Suddenly, my eyes flew open and I got goosebumps and the MAJOR willies. There was something by the window right by my bed. I got freaked out for a second, but there was no malice. After a couple minutes, I fell asleep. I told my mother about it and she said that was where her grandfather used to come and talk to her after he died (they were really close). She said if it wasn't him, it was my grandmother.

Last one, I swear. Right before my grandfather died, my oldest brother was in town and my mother insisted on going to see him. He was in the hospital, but doing well and was supposed to go home soon. She and my brother went to visit. They talked for a while, he was laughing and said they told him he could go home the next day. They left. I got a call from my mother the next day that my grandfather had went to sleep and never woke up.

My mom and I and my mom and my oldest brother have a weird connection thing that has nothing to do with ghosts, but I will tell you that the night before my grandfather died, I was in THE shittiest mood. Nothing I did could shake that feeling. I finally just went to bed. The next morning I woke up and was feeling calm and restful. That's when my mother called with the news and to tell me that she had visited him the night before.
bbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #37
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

All these grandfathers...

My grandfather died in the bathroom of this very house. He was shaving and had a massive anuerysm, fell like a brick. He was a big man and the ambulance guys had to remove the door of the bathroom to get to him. He died before I was born but I know he's still here. He opens the medicine cabinet (the doors are not easily opened)--my Pepere helps me find missing things.

not v. ghostly, but I told ya anyway
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:28 PM   #38
be-bop
Operations Operative

Couple of months ago I was out with my dog about 6.30 in the morning walking through our local park when i heard the pad pad of running shoes behind me, thinking it was a jogger I pull the dog closer to me as the sound got closer my dog turned around and I turned around to see I wasn't in the way of anyone and there was no one there and no longer any sound of running feet.
Now if it was only me that heard the sound fair enough but my dog also heard something..very strange..
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:24 PM   #39
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

I've heard mystery footsteps a couple of times. The first time, as a child, I came home after school and heard what I thought was my mother walking around upstairs. Went upstairs, no one was there...and then I heard the footsteps *downstairs.* Went back downstairs, and no one there. I freaked and ran next door to the neighbor's house.

The last time, I was walking up a stairway in a restaurant, and thought someone was following close behind me--I could hear the footsteps, and feel the weight on the stairs. When I got to the top, I turned to hold the door open for whoever it was, and no one was there, of course.

I've had quite a few other interesting experiences, but I'll tell later.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:29 PM   #40
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

I live with a little old lady ghost and I have learnt to live with her.

This house is 100+ years old and has been remodelled and remodelled, but the original sitting room and fireplace are still intact.

If there is ANYTHING left in front of the fireplace where her rocker would of been, its moved in the morning and there are often strange marks on the carpet....like indentations from old rocking chair slides.

The other kookie thing she does is put the kettle on the stove every morning, now I use an electric kettle (natch), but I now leave the kettle on the stove with water in it.

She also *haunts* the old vegie garden, the farm guys will often get spooked when they are fencing near there....as they say something pulls the wire out of their hands or knocks posts over....etc etc.

She's not so scary though.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote