The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-26-2005, 11:22 AM   #1
mrnoodle
bent

Is your city depressed?

Wow, I feel bad for you guys in Philly. According to this article you are the most depressed city in the U.S.
Quote:
Maybe it was all those years of futility for the Phillies. Or the shadows cast by New York City to the north and Washington, D.C., to the south. Whatever the reasons, Philadelphia has earned the melancholy distinction of being America's most depressed city, followed closely by Detroit and St. Petersburg, Florida. Men's Health compiled this list based on antidepressant sales, courtesy of NDC Health; suicide rates, from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC); and the number of days inhabitants reported being depressed, based on the CDC's Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, accessed through bestplaces.net.

Where can you find happiness? Texas, that's where. Three of its cities placed in the top four: number one, Laredo; number two, El Paso; and number four, Corpus Christi.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:27 AM   #2
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Wow. Seattle's not even on the list. At one time, Seattle was considered one of the most depressing places to live - all that drizzle you know.

Maybe all that coffee is helping?
Old 04-26-2005, 11:39 AM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Laredo, El Paso, and Corpus Christi? Are you fucking kidding me?? I'd sure as hell be depressed if I lived in any of those cities.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nonsense, they're just going by the per capita consumption of anti-depressants.

aside- It's interesting the #1, #3 and #7 most depressed have major presence of Boeing IDS (defense) plants.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-26-2005 at 11:54 AM. Reason: add comment
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:43 AM   #5
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
Where can you find happiness? Texas, that's where. Three of its cities placed in the top four: number one, Laredo; number two, El Paso; and number four, Corpus Christi.
Just goes to show that ignorance is bliss.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:44 AM   #6
lookout123
changed his status to single

let me see if i have this right. the most depressed city in the country also has an extremely high concentration of democrats?

i'm sure there is no connection, though. although, phoenix, mesa, and snottsdale tied for the 7th most depressed and the east valley is decidely more liberal leaning than the west valley...

Last edited by lookout123; 04-26-2005 at 11:47 AM.
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:56 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Then explain Jersey City, NJ?
Old 04-26-2005, 11:57 AM   #8
lookout123
changed his status to single

it's hard to be depressed when you are connected and can call a hit on someone?
Old 04-26-2005, 12:19 PM   #9
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

The residents of those Texas cities, being closer to the Mexican border and therefore having easier access to illegal substances, are obviously whacked out of their minds, and therefore unaware that they are, in fact in Texas.

If the supply ever runs out, there will be mass suicides...
Old 04-26-2005, 12:48 PM   #10
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

we see where the results are from...
Attached Images

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:52 PM   #11
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Nonsense, they're just going by the per capita consumption of anti-depressants.
I seem to recall that Salt Lake City, UT led the world in per-capital consumption of Prozac. I spent some time in Philly and remember the Inquirer running a story on how pissed they were that none of the signs on I-95 North out of DC had any mention of Philly - every sign was NEW YORK - X miles.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:00 PM   #12
russotto
Professor

The view from the 'burbs...

Yep, Philadelphia is the poster child for depression. It's the city that hates itself and wallows in its own misery. The politicians are openly corrupt, but no one cares (the Feds sometimes seem to, but they're from out of town). The streets are filthy and in the winter, unplowed, but everyone pretty much expects that. Taxes and unions drive business out of the city but there's no real uproar. The schools basically suck, eroding the tax base, but no one really thinks there's much anyone can do about it. There's a real estate boom going on -- the city's response is to raise assessments to try to kill it. There's three compass directions --North, South, and West associated with "ghetto" -- and East is left out only because the Delaware River is there. The major news station feels the need to run a segment called "Positively Philadelphia" just so they won't lose too many listeners to suicide. Drug companies run major anti-depressant studies in Philadelphia because there's never any problem finding subjects.

The only thing keeping Philadelphians from just en-masse leaping off the Ben Franklin Bridge is probably the city across the river. Camden is worse, and that's what Philadelphians feel good about.

(OK, maybe this is a LITTLE bit exaggerated. A little.)
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 01:04 AM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

(not by much)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 07:38 AM   #14
Brett's Honey
whatever

I've been to Laredo, Texas, which happens to be right across the border from Laredo, Mexico, where you can bring back - legally - three month supplies of an assortment of goodies! (And that three month supply is figured on you taking one "dose" three time a day!) Sure kept us from being depressed when we were there!
That was four years ago, I guess it's still legal.....
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote