The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-18-2005, 08:45 AM   #76
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Carly Fiorina did same to promote the purchase of Compaq. She justified everything in terms of "HP and Compaq will be the biggest market in this business and second largest in that business". Does size (and the lie about 'economies of scale') mean stockholder value? Of course not. There was no product advantage to the HP merger with Compaq. All but the institutional investors (MBAs) understood that. Obvious because the deal provided no 'product'. Fiorina promoted a scam by selling something that provided no advantage to the HP product line nor provided HP customers with new or better products. Fiorina promoted the classic MBA scam using spread sheet spin. And that is also what the Amway, et al scheme is all about. Finance spin because there is no money to be earned on the product line.
And with this, I would like to say to those who voted for the merger joke: DUH!

(Sorry, I was an hp employee at the time of the scam)
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 11:51 AM   #77
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by case
And with this, I would like to say to those who voted for the merger joke: DUH!
I was in the meeting. The overwhelming attitude of the little stock holders was completely against the purchase of Compaq. Hewlett got a standing ovation. Only the institutions - blackmail against Deutsch Bank for their vote was suspected - supported the merger.

The 14th(?) speaker was an HP employee with his 6th HP patent pending. His first comment was that their group's #1 competitor was Cisco - and Carly Fiorina was a BoD of Cisco. Clearly conflict of interest. I wish his statement and question was written. It shocked Carly so noticeably that she soon terminated the meeting.

Even French HP employees had flown to the meeting because they were so against this merger that had no product oriented reason to occur. Fiorina - a midevil history major and a salesman for Lucent - had no concept of a product oriented perspective. Four years later, the MBA games appeared on the spread sheets - lackluster. Unlike Apple under Spindler and Sculley, the HP BoDs recognized this problem at its source. They forced the bean counter Carly out.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 12:03 PM   #78
mrnoodle
bent

Cutco knives. I sold those. My mom still has her set, they're the best knives she's ever used, she says. I do like the handles on them, and the steak knives are boss.

pampered chef is aight too. Rainbow vacuum cleaners - a guy came to the door and sold mom one of those, too (after my sister had given her name as a reference). it works exactly as advertised, too.

So does this one cleaner that a guy comes buy and sells about once every 6 months. It's called "avantage", and i assume the misspelling is intentional. but that stuff rocks.

in all those cases, a good PRODUCT was being sold, and we didn't mind a bit that it was being sold from something other than a retail outlet.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:34 PM   #79
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad

And like Mr Dent finding that the Nutrimatic machine has produced a fluid exactly unlike tea, the entire system has produced a supermarket where I am routinely offended by 98% of the shelf contents.
I'm convinced there's some perverse behaviors in the system that no one involved notices.

For instance, suppose an item appears on the shelf and sells out the first week. Then it isn't restocked for the rest of the month. Perhaps this pattern continues for a while. Then some analyst (or analysis program, more likely) will (on the last week of the month) take an exponentially decaying average of the sales of the product, determine that (because it had zero sales in the last three weeks) it just doesn't sell and shouldn't be restocked.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 03:36 PM   #80
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

I love Cutco knives. You will notice a significant difference if you use other high end knives (e.g. Wustoff).
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:35 PM   #81
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by russotto
I'm convinced there's some perverse behaviors in the system that no one involved notices.
Agreed, the chain puts things on sale without telling the dept. managers so they can plan on having enough on hand. I think they want to give out rain checks so people will come back. I don't think they realize how many get pissed off and don't come back.