The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

April 19, 2010: Donkey Ball

Donkey Basketball, playing basketball riding donkeys, has been around forever. When I was in school, every year or so, they would have a game in the school gym... usually teachers against students.

Neatorama noted an article on the KOMO website, about a recent game at Snohomish High School.

Why is this news?

Quote:
But not everyone thinks it's fun and games. Animal rights activists quietly protested outside, saying it's simply cruel. "The donkeys are pushed, kicked, shoved, and prodded to do something that is unnatural for them and confusing," said protester David Schirk. Some say the event is bad enough, but having it at a school makes it worse. "I think it sends a really bad message to children on how to raise them and cruelty to animals and to all beings, and what does that teach our children?" said protester Carol Guilbault.
In my experience, they never went to some farm and dragged a bunch of donkeys into the gym. It was always a professional outfit that supplied everything but the players... uh, human players. It was always called Donkey Ball, but that may have been a trademark of the outfit everyone in that area used.

Quote:
But Bruce Wick, who owns the donkeys, says the animals are well-cared for, and really enjoy playing the game. They're trained to follow the ball, and go up and down the court. "When I back into the corral, they're all fighting to see who gets to go," said Wick of Donkey Sports. To help ease the impact on the hardwood, the donkeys' hooves have rubber padding. "They're pretty intelligent animals," Wick said. "And if they're sitting around in a small pen or stall all day, they're fighting boredom all that time."
Out on the court, they cut loose. "It was pretty uncontrollable, but it was a lot of fun. They've got a mind of their own, definitely," said one rider.

But animal rights groups say event also comes with huge liabilities, because people can get hurt easily.
Oh, now they're worried about the people.
I think they're worried about somebody having more fun than they are.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:59 AM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Hey, ref!! That donkey just kicked my kid, on purpose! You gonna do anything about it? Fukkit, I'll handle this myself!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:47 AM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

where's PETA?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:06 AM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

If they're female they don't have PETAs.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
marlena21
Kinda New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Hey, ref!! That donkey just kicked my kid, on purpose! You gonna do anything about it? Fukkit, I'll handle this myself!
I think Donkey Ball is not sport, it is nonsense...
marlena21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

We had those too. Mostly I just thought it was stupid, but I never witnessed the donkeys looking distressed in any way. Of course, they're donkeys, how do you know?

There was a big outrage when they had the donkeys at the fair who would climb a really tall ladder and jump into a small pool below. THAT'S entertainment? I don't think it's natural for donkeys to jump from high places.

Donkey ball, though, they probably have a, um, er...ball. It's all donkey stuff!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #7
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

I think they recommended cold compresses and bed rest for donkey ball when I was a kid.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:39 AM   #8
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

And if they weren't playing ball, they would be doing natural things, like hauling heavy loads, making glue.
Makes you wonder who the ass is.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
chrisinhouston
Professor

I bet the janitors at the school hate the cleanup after the game!
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:43 AM   #10
Shawnee123

I'm waiting for Miss Nelly Poo-poo to pop in and talk about the rights of the donkeys. Of course, Miss Poo-poo will pronounce it "dunkey", being all aristocratic and shtuff.

Well, Miss Nelly Poo-poo, tell me...how many donkeys have YOU adopted? Huh? Huh? I thought not!
Old 04-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #11
newtimer
Operations Operative

Man, I ain't never heard of no donkeyball. Back when I was in high school, we used to bring in a group of white kids every year and play honkeyball!
newtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #12
Flint
Snowflake

Isn't this basically a description of gym class in middle school?
Quote:
"The [geeks/nerds] are pushed, kicked, shoved, and prodded to do something that is unnatural for them and confusing..."
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
dmg1969
I got nothing

Yeah, we had those in school as well. I liked trying to figure out which donkey had the fattest rider. If the donkey's back looks like the letter "U", you're too big for this ride!

The donkeys are probably better trained than most of the students. Even if they do shit on the floor.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #14
rditlkustoleit
Violator of Customs

If this doesn't end with the girls having hot donkey sex then they are just treating the poor animals like a bunch of asses.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #15
Shawnee123

I get it... donkeys, asses. Hahahahahaha!