The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 09-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
monster
I hear them call the tide

So funny.... I have a temp job and it's resetting the coffee sections after they take out the grinders. they are being replaced by a bigger K-cup section.

I had no idea you people drank such weird stuff. Especially the Starbucks flavors. Coconut and Blueberry Muffin, ffs?

So your FIL wants one bag of the house/original/traditional blend of each brand he hasn't already tried. he doesn't want anything fancy It's just that it seems to frivolous to buy them for himself and has no other ideas of what he wants for christmas, so he's killing two birds with one stone. Go to the supermarket and buy just that. One bag of each type he hasn't tried. maybe throw in a few basic Colombian too. include the own brand of whatever store is local to him if you can. The main brands are Gevalia, 8 o'clock, Peets and Starbucks, so there's not going to be much left for you to buy.

If you really want to make the gift interesting, Baggie up and code a couple of servings of each one so he can do a blind taste test. he can rate each one and then you can reveal which were which.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #17
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Give him a bottle of Irish whiskey and a can of whipped cream. He'll be happy with any brand of coffee you give him to make Irish coffees.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:31 AM   #18
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Get the house brand as Monster suggested and then Christmas it up with a nice coffee mug or canister.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #19
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
One word:

Kopi luwak
cat poop coffee.....Grav, you funny man. Do you think it's good coffee or you were trying to be funny?
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #20
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
When I was a lad, Mom would grind her own Eight O'clock coffee at the A&P store. Grab a bag of beans, dump them in the grinder, put the bag under the chute and push the button.
I wonder when they did away with that, probably about the same time they did away with the see though your feet machines.

Sorry Choco, I'm no help... I don't drink the shit either. It's just a crutch for people that don't do crank.
You'll like Wegmans, they still have the grinder and a shit load of coffees including excellent in-house brands to ease you off the crank.

Seattles' Best (owned by Starbucks) might be an option for him. I'd just go to a good grocery store and get him a variety of coffees under the Starbucks price-point.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #21
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Bunny View Post
cat poop coffee.....Grav, you funny man. Do you think it's good coffee or you were trying to be funny?
I. Hate. Coffee. I've tried (more than once) to become "a coffee drinker". I don't think it'll ever happen. Then again, I've never drank civet-butt coffee.

Maybe if I squeezed a civet over my coffee...maybe it is the poop that makes it good.

The kopi luwak is supposed to be the bee's knees when it comes to non-bitter coffee. Plus it's expensive as hell. And it comes out of the far end of a civet.

If you larfed, I was being funny.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #22
DanaC

Civet coffee is a booming business these days. It became popular amongst middle class Americans and Europeans. Consequently the Civet coffee trade has become much crueller.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24034029

Quote:
Animal cruelty during the production of one of the world's priciest coffees has been exposed by a BBC investigation.

Kopi luwak is made from coffee beans excreted by Indonesian palm civets - small, mongoose-like creatures.

But undercover reporters in Indonesia witnessed civets held in battery-cage conditions to produce the coffee.

And experts say they are "totally convinced" kopi luwak from caged animals ends up on the London market

-snip-

Posing as buyers, the BBC visited farmers in Sumatra, Indonesia.

Reporters witnessed battery-style conditions, animals in cramped cages and a severely injured civet cat, contradicting the "wild" claims marketed to consumers.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #23
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Whew, at least it ain't my fault.

This time.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #24
DanaC

Yeah....maybe. I still think you look kinda guilty..
Old 09-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's the 40 year old mustache.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #26
JoyMKendrick
Neophyte-in-training

Okay, I got this. I love coffee and I think a classic blend would make a beautiful christmas present. See if you can get your hands on Folger Classic Roast Coffe. Wait, let me link you to a website I usually buy it from: http://www.dailycuppacoffee.com/folg...nd-33-9ozs-can
JoyMKendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #27
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyMKendrick View Post
Okay, I got this. I love coffee and I think a classic blend would make a beautiful christmas present. See if you can get your hands on Folger Classic Roast Coffe. Wait, let me link you to a website I usually buy it from: http://www.dailycuppacoffee.com/folg...nd-33-9ozs-can
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote