The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #31
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So far he's paid a hell of a lot more than that to get this designed and built. He said made in quantity, they could be made for less than $500. I don't think he intends to keep buying them, that's what the charity will do, he just got it off the ground.

I don't see where he's making any money on this deal, or any of the other charities he's started, which is why I wanted to know why you wanted to break his kneecaps? If you actually know he's been screwing somebody, fill us in.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #32
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'm off my trolley.
(may be a Brit phrase)
Old 03-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #33
rotary65
Rapscallion

It is unfortunate that we would judge someone and question their motives so quickly on the basis of a $500 pricetag and comparison shopping pricing from Walmart (the benchmark importer of cheaply made Chinese products - an organization associated with negative social impacts and questionable ethics itself).

Surely further investigation and fact finding is warranted before coming to any conclusion, especially one so harsh.

In the absence of such information, perhaps we can give the benefit of the doubt and not question Mr. Samuelson's motives so harshly and publicly.

I did follow a few links and check out some pages (for example, Wikipedia has an entry for Mr. Samuelson) and found nothing so far that would decribe him as an opportunist or exploiter; quite the contrary.

Judge no man without first trying to walk in his shoes.
rotary65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #34
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I was chanelling a Simpson's episode there, sundae. It's an old-timey way of saying "you're right about that" -

Spud, a young carnie, was teaching Bart the art of attracting customers to a rigged carnival game. He called the targets 'pigeons' and 'rubes' - all that stuff...had to be there...

my mind is just a big simpson-y recepticle...sigh.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #35
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotary65 View Post
Surely further investigation and fact finding is warranted before coming to any conclusion, especially one so harsh.

In the absence of such information, perhaps we can give the benefit of the doubt and not question Mr. Samuelson's motives so harshly and publicly.

Say, friend. You're new around these parts, ain't you?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 03-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #36
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
So far he's paid a hell of a lot more than that to get this designed and built. He said made in quantity, they could be made for less than $500. I don't think he intends to keep buying them, that's what the charity will do, he just got it off the ground.

I don't see where he's making any money on this deal, or any of the other charities he's started, which is why I wanted to know why you wanted to break his kneecaps? If you actually know he's been screwing somebody, fill us in.
i don't

i'm just jaded and assume that there is something in it for him. something big and green.

i might be out of line entirely. and of course, i would never actually cause physical harm to another human being.....I was just being dramatic.....and I may have been a bit tipsy when i posted that......

but usually.....when a person is doing a 'charitable' work....they are giving something more than the minimum required to that charity in order to qualify......and while the organization may be 'non profit'.....dude is pulling a paycheck that makes it well worth his time......
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #37
rotary65
Rapscallion

Quote:
You're new around these parts, ain't you?
Lurking for a long time and read something that moved me enough to reply. A bit of an appeal for respect and compassion really.

Please forgive my intrusion if I am out of touch with spirit of the larger Cellar community. If so, I will withdraw back into the shadows.

For reference, Wikipedia defines Mr. Samuelson as a Social Entrepreneur. Their defintion of that term may help provide a context.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #38
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotary65 View Post
It is unfortunate that we would judge someone and question their motives so quickly on the basis of a $500 pricetag and comparison shopping pricing from Walmart (the benchmark importer of cheaply made Chinese products - an organization associated with negative social impacts and questionable ethics itself).

I did follow a few links and check out some pages (for example, Wikipedia has an entry for Mr. Samuelson) and found nothing so far that would decribe him as an opportunist or exploiter; quite the contrary.

Judge no man without first trying to walk in his shoes.
YES YES

sure sure

all that is quite right. It just doesn't fit well with my own particular idiom.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #39
rotary65
Rapscallion

Ok, ok, sorry for being so serious!

Now, where's the hot sauce and how would one go about barbequing an EDAR and what would it taste like anyway?

Back to the fun!
Old 03-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #40
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
I was chanelling a Simpson's episode there, sundae. It's an old-timey way of saying "you're right about that"
Soz, chick. It wasn't aimed at anyone specific.

But I was riled.

People in this country have problems with the homeless (read the Hate Mail or my 'rents fave The Express) but "Sometimes our best intentions do not go
amiss; sometimes we do as we meant to" (Sometimes, Sheenagh Pugh). What she writes is true for me - I'd like to think that most of us DO make an effort.

It hurts me when people I care about, people I revere, make statements that I can't countenance. Statements that dismiss other people as just nothing. I am an atheist. I don't believe in a soul. But oddly, I seem to place more value in a human life than some Dwellars who think they will live forever. I certainly seem to place more immportance in human life then many Christians I know. And I'm happy to debate this (in a different thread).

Sorry, I am being a witch here. But I do believe it.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #41
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You're right rotary65, I did a lot of Googling on Mr Samuelson and couldn't find anything negative. He's on the boards of a number of charities which are accredited by the BBB Wise Giving Alliance. In order to be accredited the board members can not be compensated, as I understand it.
Mr Samuelson could be the Devil himself, but I haven't found anything. Maybe Sheldon could shed some light on it?

btw, I tried to post another IOtD last night but fucking Comcast was fucking down fucking again, but now I'll let this one play awhile.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 03-23-2009 at 10:49 AM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #42
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

#1) rotary65 -- I did call you 'friend'

#2) sundae -- you're right. especially when it comes to the Every Sperm is Sacred crowd not really giving a good gawddamn about that Sperm once it's all grown up and needing a pot to piss in.

I'm in total agreement with you there.

—James Barrie

Old 03-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #43
hulk
"Help!Call me an ambulance!!" "You're an ambulance!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
loads better than a cardboard box
"Luxury. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt."

"Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah."
hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #44
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Yes!!! I think I can fit my dog, and books in there; and still sleep comfortably. Nice! I might even be able to install a 2 stroke and headlights. Go mobile!
Old 03-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #45
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Which bring up a good point... $500 will get you a car, on Craigslist.

Getting it official costs a little more, and it may not actually run for very long, but it's a car and even provides an emergency, though pricey, source of heat.

Plus it may lock and prevent vandals from stealing your stuff.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote