The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #31
jester
why so serious

I agree. I try to be pleasant, it's just so frustrating to talk to the same companies every week, just different people.
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:30 AM   #32
rkzenrage

If you tell someone that you are not interested and they do not end the call they are being rude and want you to be rude in return.
People only communicate in the way that they wish to be communicated with in return. Psychological fact, they may not be aware of it, but it is true.
If you start off polite and they are rude in return they are telling you what they want.
Not ending the call after you have asked is rude, end of story.
All cold-calling and door-to-door should be illegal.
I worked in sales for a few years in Ins. incoming calls only.
When asked to cold-call I refused and would have gotten another job if it came to that.
You choose the job you have.
Treat others the way you want to be treated.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:38 AM   #33
jester
why so serious

Here’s another on the same construction manager. Before he became “educated”, he worked for us as a sheet metal journeyman. We had a large job for ALCOA. They had made several pieces of ductwork (approx. 100 or more). They were in the process of making a delivery and was placing the ductwork in a truck. He was told to write every piece down on a piece of paper before loading them into the truck. To keep track of each piece, so duplication would not happen. He finally got the truck loaded and they were getting ready to leave. The foreman asked him where the sheet was with the parts listed. He told him he didn’t make a list. The foreman said, “why not”? CM’s response was, “I didn’t have a pencil”. Obviously, there’s been no improvement over the years.
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:07 PM   #34
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
And there is NO repercussion. My ex is very firm about telling people he is not interested, and is not rude unless provoked. One f***er, after he told him he wasn't interested, said to him in a heavy accent "I bet you have small dick" or something like that. You can't call them back, you can't report them, you just have to sit there and feel violated that they basically walked into YOUR home and said that to you.

Huh uh, I say.

I'm still wondering about motivation for such a job (see post # 19). Though I realize it may be the only choice for some, is it the only choice for the thousands upon thousands there must be? There must be SOMETHING attractive about it.

How many telemarketers does it take to change a light bulb?
Only one, but they have to do it while you're eating dinner.

Shawnee-
Part of remote monitoring is the fact that you can still hear what people are saying into their headset inbetween calls. Sometimes they think the person has hung up, and they haven't. Then they get to hear what the interviewer has to say about the random person they just talked to......But the person sometimes has not hung up yet, and gets an earful of the unexpected. These people do get in trouble with their monitor...bad trouble. They are called into the office to talk to a what was, irritated me. You guys think I'm rude? Do you know what the person calling you has been saying about you? Especially if they have called you twice and they don't like you? I have heard some stuff spoken into headsets that would make the devil cry.

Dana is right...there are different companies with different requirements and standards. The programs I created were not aggressive, and it simply was what it was: Really just seeing if you are interested and if you are not...you are not. Thank you for your time and goodbye. We worked from an organic business model which was not off-putting to anyone really....but marketing in it's very essence is usually sociopathic. Sorry if I've been rude guys..I've just spent a lot of time thinking about this subject because it's still my job, (in a very different way now) and I have to be careful about stepping over the line.

Dana thinks I don't have no compassion...and I do. I hired and trained some people just because they didn't know the basic functions and operations of a computer, and I was going to be damned if they were going to try and walk through this world not knowing how to click with a mouse. I was caught hiring these people and was caught spending extra time training them on the company dime. They had good personalities, and wouldn't be the people saying nasty stuff about the client company or the target into their headset. They just needed to learn basic computer stuff and needed to be given a chance for once. Yes, I hired felons. Some were still even in jail and were serving a work-release duty. Tell me I don't have compassion. P'shaw...But some really are assholes folks...

Hey...I think my rant is over. I apologize to anyone that was hurt by my big club in this thread. I just don't want to accept any patronizing attitudes...that is rude.

Last edited by Cicero; 11-14-2007 at 12:12 PM.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #35
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
All cold-calling and door-to-door should be illegal.
I worked in sales for a few years in Ins. incoming calls only.
*dingdingding* failed salesperson alert.

failing salesperson: This sucks, my production is way down and I can't get it to turn around.

salesmanager: Have you thought about asking someone to buy?

failing salesperson: I'd like to but the phone hasn't made a noise all day.

salesmanager: Have you thought about either calling someone, or going to meet someone?

failing salesperson: No! That is beneath me, I'm done here.

*sound of door closing behind failed salesperson*

- that being said there is a huge difference between cold/warm calling and being a telemarketer.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #36
Cicero

I don't think it should be illegal. There's lots of lonely old people out there that want people to talk to, and sure, you might not get a sale or whatever...but it's actually quite heart-warming when you think you brightened their lonely little world.

Someday I will be that person.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:21 PM   #37
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Yeah, my 95 year old grandmother (who still lives alone but is of course not as sharp as she was when she was, say 85 ) has got some doozy of some calls trying to get her to buy this or that. I think my aunt finally got her on the Do Not Call registry, but preying on the elderly is a special kind of low.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #38
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Yeah, my 95 year old grandmother (who still lives alone but is of course not as sharp as she was when she was, say 85 ) has got some doozy of some calls trying to get her to buy this or that. I think my aunt finally got her on the Do Not Call registry, but preying on the elderly is a special kind of low.

No really...from what I have seen, most people become super-curteous when dealing with the older folks...strange...but true.
They talk for quite some time and back down a bit from selling them the latest line of bullshit...well a lot of people do. I have. Just because they are a corporate target doesn't mean that the human being on the phone sees it that way.......Reaffirms my belief in humanity. But no...most normal people realize that the person isn't with it, and if they can, they will bullshit about their kids, their family and whatever...and try to get the person off the line.....they are corporate targets. Usually not the actual target of the humans that deal with them. Most people do resist, and people do get angry at their company for continually trying to target them. There is no "alzheimers" or "too old" button. A lot of people work around that. Some don't. Because they are shits with no conscience.

So plbbbt...!
Old 11-14-2007, 02:04 PM   #39
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
*dingdingding* failed salesperson alert.

failing salesperson: This sucks, my production is way down and I can't get it to turn around.

salesmanager: Have you thought about asking someone to buy?

failing salesperson: I'd like to but the phone hasn't made a noise all day.

salesmanager: Have you thought about either calling someone, or going to meet someone?

failing salesperson: No! That is beneath me, I'm done here.

*sound of door closing behind failed salesperson*

- that being said there is a huge difference between cold/warm calling and being a telemarketer.
Wrong, stalker, as usual. I was promoted & with the company for another three years.
They started a cold-call department that was very short lived because it is wrong, rude, and no one likes it. I did tell them my take on it (beneath me and immoral) and the manager asking me to do it told me he personally agreed with me and said "no problem Rob, go get back on the phone".
My sales numbers were above average for my company, which had very high standards.
*Laughs at you*
Thanks for the ignorance this time, it did make me laugh out loud this time, you are back to your stalking standards!
Old 11-14-2007, 02:09 PM   #40
lookout123

you got it tough guy. so damn good at everything you ever did (which appears to be everything but die) that you haven't lasted too long at any of it.

Quote:
My sales numbers were above average for my company, which had very high standards.
and yeah, inbound call center sales jobs are definitely where to look for the best in the sales industry.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:13 PM   #41
rkzenrage

No, actually, there have been a few things I sucked at.
Outside advertising sales, I really stunk at it, but I had a lot going against me.
However, I still think I would not have done well, just not suited to my talents or personality.
I was not only doing sales but underwriting as well, and we did set the standard for the industry for years.
There is not one insurance company that does not use our model in some way now.
You sure have a problem with me... it's funny.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:33 PM   #42
lookout123

what certifications did you hold?
Old 11-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #43
rkzenrage

I could give a shit if you belive me, I don't play the "prove it" game.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:58 PM   #44
lookout123

i just wondered what qualifications you carried in to be able to underwrite insurance policies at this highly rated company. CLU? CPCU?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:20 PM   #45
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I gotta pee. That's irritating.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote