The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-19-2007, 02:07 PM   #31
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
The planet is warming up and we are the cause, time to start trying to clean up our mess!
I'm not dancing on the fence per say, but we discussed this topic not too long ago in another thread. (damn I can't find it now - lil help please) I don't think there is any reason for us to not try to be more considerate of the planet, but I am not sure whether any of these Bills sent to congress will pass nor if they do whether they will do anything. It reaks of political posturing to me. But I am cynical by nature anyway. I sincerely hope that we, as a race do something to keep this ball spinning, be it our fault or not.

Last edited by yesman065; 01-20-2007 at 01:21 AM.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:10 PM   #32
Irie
Kinda n00b Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065 View Post
I don't think there is any reason for us to not try to be more considerate of the planet, but I am not sure whether any of these Bills sent to congress will pass nor if they do whether they will do anything. It reaks of political posturing to me. But I am cynical by nature anyway. I sincerely hope that we, as a race do something to keep this ball spinning, be it our fault or not.
I totally agree with you there. Like you said, I hope we do something, and soon.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:45 PM   #33
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

I always like to play it safe when potential catastrophe is involved. It may be inconvenient to go inside during a T-storm but if it keeps me from being struck my lightning so be it. Same for climate change. May be inconvenient to some but why tempt nature?
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:52 PM   #34
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Throughout history mankind has two hobbies:

- Bending nature to his will
- Predicting, and panicking over, the approaching apocalypse

It's nice to see them come together so neatly.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #35
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Like, so it's getting warmer, so what? Is that a bad thing? How warm will it get and what will that mean?
How much of the world's population and infrastructure is on a coastline?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:05 PM   #36
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Throughout history mankind has two hobbies:

- Bending nature to his will
- Predicting, and panicking over, the approaching apocalypse

It's nice to see them come together so neatly.
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:28 PM   #37
Ronald Cherrycoke
Master Locutor

A NASA spokesman denied any effort to silence Hansen, The Times said. "That's not the way we operate here at NASA," said Dean Acosta, deputy assistant administrator for public affairs. "We promote openness and we speak with the facts."

Rather, the spokesman said the restrictions applied to any and all NASA personnel who could be seen by the public as speaking for the agency. Acosta added, however, that while government scientists were free to discuss scientific findings, policy statements should be left to policy makers and appointed spokesmen, The Times said.
Ronald Cherrycoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:31 PM   #38
Ronald Cherrycoke
Master Locutor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Cherrycoke View Post
A NASA spokesman denied any effort to silence Hansen, The Times said. "That's not the way we operate here at NASA," said Dean Acosta, deputy assistant administrator for public affairs. "We promote openness and we speak with the facts."

Rather, the spokesman said the restrictions applied to any and all NASA personnel who could be seen by the public as speaking for the agency. Acosta added, however, that while government scientists were free to discuss scientific findings, policy statements should be left to policy makers and appointed spokesmen, The Times said.

Reuters News Agency

Jan. 28, 2006
Old 01-19-2007, 08:13 PM   #39
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Global warming = severe local weather more often. Can we deal with a Katrina sized storm every couple years? Can we deal with a loss like California's entire citrus crop every once in a while? Can we deal with changes in precipitation and another dust bowl like they had in the 30's? As global warming continues, scientists are pretty sure that severe weather like this will increase. I'd say that is a bad thing.
I suppose you have evidence that these things are caused by global warming..... even though they have all happened before... many times.
I also suppose you can prove it's worse than ever before....and it's our fault....and we can do something about it?
The total time man has recorded the weather, is a pisshole in a snow bank compared to the weather we haven't. A hunded years, a thousand years, ten thousand years, are nothing

Despite tw ranting and raving that I said all kinds of shit I never said, it makes sense to do what ever you can (can afford) to cut your energy consumption just for the cost savings alone. But to actually have a chance of having an effect on the climate, we need more than that.
It's got to be a national effort...a plan....which we don't have. Walmart trying to force everyone to buy their bulbs is not a national plan. Neither are the other schemes tw cites.

Next to where I work is a coal fired power plant that spews more shit into the air in one day than I will in my whole life.
I am not the key to any solution for global warming, if in fact there is one. I did a lot of looking and reading for the Inconvenient Truth thread. The only thing the experts could agree on is that global warming exists. Of course tw says the scientists that agree with him are right and the ones that don't are scumbags, but realistically what are we supposed to believe? And what can we do about it?
Will it make a difference? Damifino.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:26 PM   #40
Ronald Cherrycoke
Master Locutor

"Next to where I work is a coal fired power plant that spews more shit into the air in one day than I will in my whole life."

Yeah...remember that the left Greenies were totally against nuke plants? When was the last one built? But now they are changing their tune.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:49 PM   #41
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065 View Post
I'm not positive of the exact amount, but even a minute increase in teperature at the polar caps is, not may, is causing a chain of events that will end life on this planet as we know it. Not that I think we can do anything about it or whether we are the cause, but. . .
To make that statement, then you know what "falling off the mountain" means. After all you made a statement is requires knowledge of that soundbyte. Tell us, Yesman065, what that statement means - because you know such facts before having an opinion.

Tell us what about "falling off the mountain" since the concept is so basic to understanding global warming.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:52 PM   #42
tw

Quote:
Yeah...remember that the left Greenies were totally against nuke plants? When was the last one built? But now they are changing their tune.
So nothing has changed but their opinions? Have you learned the difference between nuclear power in 1970s and today? Fundamental changes cause nuclear to be an option to some 'Greens'. You know what those changes are? One example is located maybe 10 miles from the Cellar.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:05 PM   #43
Ronald Cherrycoke
Master Locutor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
So nothing has changed but their opinions? Have you learned the difference between nuclear power in 1970s and today? Fundamental changes cause nuclear to be an option to some 'Greens'. You know what those changes are? One example is located maybe 10 miles from the Cellar.

Yeah...Three Mile Island was bull..so was the green movie "The China Syndromn....the russian accident happened because of drunk soviet monkees with an obsolete reactor.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:16 PM   #44
tw

Quote:
Yeah...Three Mile Island was bull..so was the green movie "The China Syndromn....the russian accident happened because of drunk soviet monkees with an obsolete reactor.
Tell me what created Three Mile Island. I consider those who know without first learning details to be liars. I sure hope you don't end up in that category. What created Three Mile Island? Why was Three Mile Island synonymous with so many other American nuclear 'accidents'?
Old 01-19-2007, 11:38 PM   #45
Ronald Cherrycoke
Master Locutor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Tell me what created Three Mile Island. I consider those who know without first learning details to be liars. I sure hope you don't end up in that category. What created Three Mile Island? Why was Three Mile Island synonymous with so many other American nuclear 'accidents'?

How many people died at Three Mile Island?...it was a non-nuke ...no death accident. Oh by the way... I`m old enough to have seen it in real time..and saw the media hysteria...for no good cause.