The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-23-2003, 01:50 PM   #106
dave

I just figured it out.

HaywardNelson is Nic Name's wife. Who else is an easily offended retard from the 51st state?
Old 11-23-2003, 01:52 PM   #107
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by HaywardNelson
The words are offensive to some people. THAT is a fact.
The fault lies not in the words themselves, but in the people.

Your belief does not a fact make.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 02:34 PM   #108
HaywardNelson
Belt Conveyor

According to dictionary.com, CUNT is an offensive word.

cunt ( P ) Pronunciation Key (knt)
n. Vulgar Slang
The female genital organs.
Sexual intercourse with a woman.

Offensive. Used as a disparaging term for a woman.
Used as a disparaging term for a person one dislikes or finds extremely disagreeable.

The word was not originally offensive, it originally meant "sheath" or "hollow place" but that does not change the fact that the word has a negative meaning currently.

The words are offensive to some people. I doubt you would be okay with someone calling your mother a cunt, or another person you cared about.

As for retard, the word is a rude reference to a real disability. It is not considered a polite term. Earlier, someone said they were "watching the retards fight." As a noun, retard means "A slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay" or it is used as a slur. The definition clearly doesn't fit in the sentence, so it was used as a slur. I don't enjoy the kind of relationship with whoever said it that allows a playful "aw, you're retarded."

When I said there is something wrong with the words, this is exactly what I meant by it: The words are considered by society to be derogatory, negative terms.

I'm sorry that some of you are having difficulty acknowledging that the words are generally considered offensive. What's the point in arguing this? Are you trying to say that whoever called me a cunt and a retard was not name-calling, was not trying to offend me? There was a disagreement, but prior to the use of those words it had been carried on in a relatively adult way. Especially considering that this is written communication and you have time to think about what you post, if all that someone come up with is "cunt" or "retard," that's a pretty sad comment on what you have to say.
HaywardNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 02:38 PM   #109
HaywardNelson
Belt Conveyor

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
I just figured it out.

HaywardNelson is Nic Name's wife. Who else is an easily offended retard from the 51st state?
You can quit playing guessing games. I'm not anyone you know.

You can call me whatever you want to, I'm not the one who is going to look callous and ignorant by your lack of respect for what may or may not offend other people.

I don't think everyone would be so defensive if you all really thought this was an okay thing to do. Unless it's normal to gather up your torches and pitchforks every time someone new disagrees with the consensus.
HaywardNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 02:38 PM   #110
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Ok, I'll call you a blue balloon instead. Or a lampshade.

Can we move on to something interesting or funny?
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 02:43 PM   #111
wolf
lobber of scimitars

So wait ... it's an ACTUAL FNG that's being an asshat here?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 02:46 PM   #112
HaywardNelson
Belt Conveyor

Well, if you're going to call me a blue balloon I just might have to spend the night in tears.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:48 PM   #113
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

How about "lampshade"? Can we move on, lampshade?
Old 11-23-2003, 02:51 PM   #114
HaywardNelson
Belt Conveyor

Nevermind, I'm apparently too much of a lampshade to get that photo to post.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:07 PM   #115
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

prolly too large. Check the properties for the size. It needs to be under 100k er so.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:22 PM   #116
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

[quote]Originally posted by HaywardNelson
Quote:
Regarding stating opinion as fact, I feel it is a great waste of time to preface everything with "In my opinion." Clearly, I am writing it, thus it is my opinion.
No, not ALWAYS is it that clear. It may be TO YOU, but not to everyone. I'm not saying that you have to say "in my opinion" every single time, but to qualify some statements would help in many conversations.

Quote:
When in a discussion of morals or other non-concrete ideas, I generally take what everyone says as their opinion. This is a conversation, not a game of Jeopardy.

Precisely, so why should anyone have to guess what another is implying/saying/expressing?

Quote:
I will continue to post my opinions without the opinion disclaimer, especially in cases like this.

Then people will continue to call you on it, and act accordingly.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 03:29 PM   #117
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by HaywardNelson
Again, JuJu, I'm sorry you feel I am back-pedalling. If this makes you feel better, here:

I feel that it is a fact
MAJOR SNIPPAGE!

You feel that it is a fact....mmmkay!

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 04:12 PM   #118
dave

Hayward, you're a joke. You can't be taken seriously. Here's why:

Quote:
A disagreement calls for banning? And which camp do you guard, Schadenfrau?
You said that. In response to a sarcastic comment. There are two ways that phrase is likely to be interpreted (in my experience, anyway): serious or sarcastic.

If it's serious, then essentially what you are saying is "You are a Nazi." Calling someone a Nazi over a single comment on a message board is... well, extreme, I would say.

It could also be sarcastic. Fair enough.

jeni then responds as follows:

Quote:
i don't know if you're referring to me, but my comment was made in jest.
And you say:

Quote:
I thought it was common knowlege that sarcasm doesn't carry well in written text and thus is not conveyed as the poster had intended.
Whooops, my bad.
Now, some sarcasm picks up pretty well in written text (is there another type of text, or are you trying to use as many words as possible?), and one of those is your sarcastic "Whooops, my bad." I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but sarcasm tends to make people think you're condescending.

Anyway... you're pretty clearly using sarcasm in the two posts of yours I've quoted, once before and once after you said "I thought it was common knowlege that sarcasm doesn't carry well in written text" - after jumping on someone else for being sarcastic!

In other words, "Sarcasm is cool as long as it's me, and obviously everyone will understand what I mean - but when other people do it, I can't be counted on to figure out whether or not they're being sarcastic." Obviously, then, you're totally justified in calling someone a Nazi.

And you wonder why people laugh at you?

This is a board for grown ups. Why don't you find another place to play? Or perhaps you could start making some sense. Your call.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:26 PM   #119
HaywardNelson
Belt Conveyor

Um...because grown-ups *usually* call people cunts and retards.
Hmmmm...
Old 11-23-2003, 05:35 PM   #120
God
Not half the God I used to be

Hhmm...you guys are still at this?

( Dave, it's smee, Slang.....could you tell? Have I made your ignore list yet?)

Last edited by God; 11-23-2003 at 05:37 PM.
God is offline   Reply With Quote