The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
Flint
Snowflake

Please, for the love of God...

...stop bombarding me with non-sequitur inquiries, shut the fuck up, just long enough to try that thing I told you in the first 15 seconds of the conversation. Whether you do it today, tomorrow, or a year from now; that thing I said right off the bat, and kept repeating, over and over, you know, that thing? Right, when you finally do that thing, and it fixes the problem, why can't you remember that the next time this happens? Why bother having an IT guy if you just don't listen?

It's like you don't want the problem fixed. I swear to God, I swear to you on a stack of fucking Bibles a mile high, IF YOU DO THAT THING I SAID IN THE FIRST 15 SECONDS OF THE CONVERSATION, YOUR PROBLEM WILL BE FIXED. Are you incapable of discerning this very consistent pattern?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:02 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Well that's not gonna happen...too easy.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:44 AM   #3
Cloud

because people want to be listened to. annoying, but there it is.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:52 AM   #4
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

What did he say?
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:36 AM   #5
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
What did he say?
:p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud
because people want to be listened to. annoying, but there it is
Plus, they're really, really stupid.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:32 AM   #6
rkzenrage

Someone say something?

My mouse thing won't type.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

and my cup holder thingee won't come out !!
Old 07-15-2007, 08:02 PM   #8
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!

Sorry, just tell me ONE MORE TIME and I will write it down on this sticky note with my passwords on it.
"The pride system tends to intensify the self-hate against which it is supposed to be a defense, since any failure to live up to one's tyrannical shoulds or of the world to honor one's claims leads to feelings of worthlessness." Bernard J. Paris, Ph.D.
Yznhymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #9
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

but...but...but...what if the first thingey doesn't work??? Then what do I do?
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:52 PM   #10
perth
Strong Silent Type

The type of user I support tends to be highly-educated. I talk to at least one a day who spends five minutes complaining to me that dealing with this problem is a waste of their valuable time. Invariably the fix is less than a minute in length.

I use to think it was funny until I realised that these guys KNOW their complaining is wasting more time, and they're just jerks who like to yell at people.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:56 PM   #11
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
...stop bombarding me with non-sequitur inquiries, shut the fuck up, just long enough to try that thing I told you in the first 15 seconds of the conversation. Whether you do it today, tomorrow, or a year from now; that thing I said right off the bat, and kept repeating, over and over, you know, that thing? Right, when you finally do that thing, and it fixes the problem, why can't you remember that the next time this happens? Why bother having an IT guy if you just don't listen?

It's like you don't want the problem fixed. I swear to God, I swear to you on a stack of fucking Bibles a mile high, IF YOU DO THAT THING I SAID IN THE FIRST 15 SECONDS OF THE CONVERSATION, YOUR PROBLEM WILL BE FIXED. Are you incapable of discerning this very consistent pattern?
You're making an easy mistake, forgetting who you work for. You work for people, not machines. You're on board to solve the problems *people* have, not to restrict yourself to correcting machine faults.

These two categories of action do sometimes run in the same track. But not always. Sometimes you can fix/solve one set and not the other. Knowing which is which will save you a fortune in antacid medication. Knowing which ones to prioritize can accelerate your career.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:20 PM   #12
Flint
Snowflake

I'm in healthcare IT. I serve the patient. Supporting medical care for the patient is my ultimate goal, and everything I do is in that effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
You work for people, not machines.
I don't work for people, and I don't work for machines. I work for the patients who need those people/machines to perform a task. If the people who run those machines are an obstacle to them functioning properly, then the patient suffers, and that is not acceptable. I am here to make sure the people/machines do their job for sick patients who need medical care.

That being said, I understand what you're saying, and I agree. And I appreciate the sentiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Knowing which ones to prioritize can accelerate your career.
Customer service is what makes me an asset. I'm a baby-sitter, a hand-holder, and a listener. But I need them to listen to me, too.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:34 PM   #13
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Customer service is what makes me an asset. I'm a baby-sitter, a hand-holder, and a listener. But I need them to listen to me, too.
I read this as asshat at first.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:49 PM   #14
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Holy shit, glatt--I did too. Swear to God, I was about to write what you just posted, word for word.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:16 PM   #15
mbpark
Lecturer

OK, I kept my mouth shut on this one :)

Hello,

I work on a regular basis with non-technical people, and one of my assignments is Healthcare IT, where I work as a technical architect/DBA/SysAdmin. I work with a small team of 5 people running a large portion of the application infrastructure for a local health system.

The ONLY reason we get anything done is by not complaining about our customers. We focus on our assignments, and making sure that our customers are satisfied. We provide a copious amount of documentation, and think like our customers do in terms of user experience and customer satisfaction.

Healthcare, for most companies that aren't Big Pharma, is a non-profit industry. The IT staff is usually treated like the cost center (read: drains on profit) that they are if they don't treat the customers right and help on finding ways to streamline the workflow and save money.

The only way to move up and get your department funded is to get your projects done on time, and be courteous/helpful to your customers, so that your group gets funded for the next group of projects. If you focus on ways to help them and the business, you will help the overall objective of better patient care.

If you complain about the customers and treat them in a condescending manner, instead of realizing that there are major skill differences between you and them (and that they are very good at things which you are not good at, like finance or patient care), you will get less done and they will dislike you greatly.

If you worked in the organization I work at, chances are your customers would have called our group already, and we would have been working with them to get the job done instead. Sorry, but business is business.
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote