The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 05-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

May 6, 2012 Paper Sculptures

Last year, a series of anonymous paper sculptures appeared in various literary locations around Scotland. Here are a few:

"It started with your name @byleaveswelive and became a tree.… We know that a library is so much more than a building full of books… a book is so much more than pages full of words.… This is for you in support of libraries, books, words, ideas….. a gesture (poetic maybe?)"

"It includes a teabag filled with cut out letters, on the tag of which are the words “by leaves we live”. The cup on the top has a swirl of words which read ” Nothing beats a nice cup of tea (or coffee) and a really good BOOK”, and on the ‘tray’ next to the cupcake it says “except maybe a cake as well”."

"A wonderfully atmospheric street scene with what appears to be a silvery moon with wisps of cloud hanging from it. The cover says, “the stories are in the stones / Ian Rankin” … which is fitting as it has been sculpted from a copy of Ian Rankin’s Hide and Seek. Inside the book are an array of people with birds on wires and a streetlight… There are even goings-on visible behind some of the windows… "

It is well worth the time to take a look at the whole collection here.

More images of the collection can be found here.

Last edited by CaliforniaMama; 05-06-2012 at 03:07 PM.
CaliforniaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh my gosh they're gorgeous.
I hope they're sold and rich people pay silly money for them and it's given to the local libraries which are closing.

Then again, I wish to win the lottery and I'd do the same.
Chances? Not so great.

I specially love the cup of tea one, but I adore that one of Rankin's books has been used for the last.

ETA - the feathers! The feathers!
All the money in the world could not buy this talent.

Last edited by Sundae; 05-06-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Oh my gosh they're gorgeous.
I hope they're sold and rich people pay silly money for them and it's given to the local libraries which are closing.

Then again, I wish to win the lottery and I'd do the same.
Chances? Not so great.

I specially love the cup of tea one, but I adore that one of Rankin's books has been used for the last.

ETA - the feathers! The feathers!
All the money in the world could not buy this talent.

Sundae, I feel so bad are they relly closing down libraries?
If that happened around here there would be a riot.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Fargon they are cutting back and closing down and stripping assets all across the board.
If Grandad was still alive, he would no longer be able to go to his daycare centre twice a week - his only real social contact.

I expected to hear that my local library in Leicester was shut, but it seems to be hanging on.
It's a tiny gem in a surburban area. I learned not to go there at the same time as the toddlers' club. I hated them at the time but now I'm in education I understand what they were about.

I went to my local library on Saturday. Luckily it's the Bucks County Library so they can't do much to it.
I maxed out on late fees and got my card cancelled when my brains were still scrambled
ALL books returned, I'm not that much of a cad.

My wonderfully trusting colleague let me get out a veritable stack on her card.
I'm on book two now. They will all be returned within the correct timeframe.

I am almost brave enough to go back and beat my chest and get my card reinstated.
The thrill - the sheer thrill - of walking out with approx £90 of books to read is dizzying.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #5
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Sundae, you might try approaching the library, and finding out who is in charge of administering fines and such, maybe the circulation manager or something. Write them a letter explaining how you were unwell and kept books overdue, but that now you are better and now that you are working in education, access to the books (esp the children's section) would be of great community value, but that due to your low wages blah blah blah please please please can they waive the fines or allow some other means of working it off.

Give it a shot.

Oh and those paper sculptures are great and I love the idea of someone having that kind of talent and sharing it for free and not even allowing themselves to get the credit for it.