The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
Isis
Questionist

Primo's Latest Model

Hey, have you checked out the lastest body from Primo? '9th Engineer' and I were talking about this a while back so it seems like a safe place for a newbie to start.
I'd settle for just a metabrain upgrade if it came to that, even though I think that the new visual field technology is the coolest addition. Even the older audio system would be useful for screening out my roommate's snoring

http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame...s/art0405.html
Isis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Afraid this is too far in the future (far fetched?) to concern me.
It would be nice not to have to pee by Braille. (sigh)
Old 12-04-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Emission control system reduces outgassing and muffles sounds.

Adjustable buttock firmness ensures seated comfort in all circumstances, no matter how rough the terrain.
Glad to see they have their priorities straight.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:30 PM   #4
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

You're counting yourself out of the picture in 10-20 years? I think you should be a little more optimistic on your own chances there Bruce.

I could definately go for the meta brain enhancements though, that's for sure. I'd make good use of it with the second-best feature, the internal comunication network upgrade.

Quote:
Whole-body communications navigation grid with one communicyte (cell) stationed every 100 microns apart in the tissue, providing 60 billon communicytes with a peak power consumption of 60 watts.

1,000,000 terabit/sec optical backbone (one billion times more capacity than a human spinal cord).

Exquisite conscious perception of internal physical states, including spatial orientation, hormone levels, neural firing patterns.
Neuromuscular control allows you to use thumb and forefinger as calipers, measuring distance to micrometers. In-vivo fiber optic communications backbone running from head to toe with a transmission capacity of 1018 bits/sec., linked to distributed extra neural tissue, giving a total of 1023 bits of information (about 60,000 times the sum total of all 20th Century human knowledge).
Undoubtably the most impressive expansion of the human body in history. I'll give you a discount on it when we figure out how to get this baby past the FDA
Old 12-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #5
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Question

Wasn't there a Monty Python skit on genetic engineering? I remember a salesman asking parents if they wanted pods instead of limbs.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:50 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th Engineer
You're counting yourself out of the picture in 10-20 years? I think you should be a little more optimistic on your own chances there Bruce.
Realistically, if such a science were to become available, it would phase in slowly from the most wealthy on down to the working coolies.
And I'm 62.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:07 AM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

I want audio and skin work right now. I wonder how much of an up tic in psychosis we can expect with the memory upgrades? The first couple generations may be rough.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #8
Isis
Questionist

Yeah, the brain upgrades will probably take the longest by far to enter common use. It's the biggest risk and depends on alot of knowledge we don't have yet, although the nervous system upgrades are much, much simpler. The other upgrades depend mostly on cost and overcomming stigma at this point. The audio enhancements could probably be on the market within a year or two if there was a push for it...
Plus we're running into that stupid problem with stem cell research and cloning. If we're going to stay ahead in this game we need to lift ALL bans on this technology, I don't trust a government who's employees can't even pronounce the terminology to make informed laws about it...
Isis is offline   Reply With Quote