Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 12-27-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
Saknussem
Coronation Incarnate

More pics from Monterey from

Mr and Mrs Saknussem!

Here we go. Once again the wife woke up, obviously, at the friggin CRACK of dawn, threw day old bread off the balcony and used her patented "scattercamera" method of capturing seagulls in flight. Camera used: Basic Canon G6, no attachments. Others are from around Monterey Bay, the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and our hotel room. Not a bad place to hole up if we ever win a massive lottery, lol.

Anyhow, those are our pics. Hope you enjoy them.

Last edited by Saknussem; 12-28-2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Well, Facebook wouldn't load the files. Changed link to Photobucket.
Saknussem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
glatt

very nice!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
casimendocina
Professor

Great pics. What's the thing doing backstroke in the lake in picture 1? (my excuse for not knowing is that my wildlife identification skills are limited to emus and other Australian native animals).
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimendocina View Post
Great pics. What's the thing doing backstroke in the lake in picture 1? (my excuse for not knowing is that my wildlife identification skills are limited to emus and other Australian native animals).
My guess is the sea otter. These guys lay on their backs to crack open shellfish. Also, the males are some of the 'bad boys' of all of the mammals.

Quote:
But it is the truly bizarre that tells the tale. I hesitate to mention this next story, but I am a biologist and thus legally obligated to bring you Truth. So, here goes. According to a paper by B. B. Hatfield et al. (Marine Mammal Science, 1994, vol. 10, pp. 114-116), off the coast of southern California, there are male sea otters that have attempted to have sex with, well, with harbor seals. I know, I know, this is illegal in every state in the Union except, perhaps, Mississippi, but are we really surprised to hear that "Sea Rats" are capable of this?
Second source here

Quote:
Male Sea Otters (Enhydra lutris) have been observed clasping and mounting other males (in the water) in the position usually seen during heterosexual matings. Male Sea Otters also sometimes mount and attempt to mate with Seals, including Harbor Seals and Northern Elephant Seals, and some of these interactions may be same-sex.
Wow, Elephant Seals? Have you seen what elephant seals look like? Talk about beer googles.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:17 AM   #5
casimendocina
Professor

casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:36 AM   #6
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Nice pics, thanks, they take me back to when I lived there for half a year while a student at the Defense Language Institute at the top of the Presidio.

I used to jog down onto the public beach every day where I'd occasionally have to detour around one of the big seals lying smack in the middle of the dry sand! I figured either it was sick; or, something bigger had chased it out of the water. At the time, I hadn't considered that it may simply have been avoiding a horny otter!
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote