The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-13-2005, 01:34 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Would YOU?

Quote:
Jocko Gold, who had suffered kidney complications due to hypertension, was spending three hours every other day on a hemodialysis machine and needed a transplant.
Boeing Fabrication employee Jim Kakuschke walked up to his co-worker one cold winter day a year and a half ago and offered up his kidney to the ailing numerical control operator.

They both work at Boeing's Auburn, WA. plant....but so do 1,000 other people. The two had known each other only as acquaintances attending the same lunches and union meetings.

"I believe that prayers are answered, but for Jim to offer up part of his body to me was amazing," said Gold, a 14-year Boeing employee.
Kakuschke, who has worked at Boeing 18 years, remains humble about his donation. "I heard about Jocko's plight and felt like I could help him," he explained.
Personally I find this story incredible. I don't think I could do that for what amounts to a stranger.
You never know what the future holds and you might need that kidney yourself.
Kakuschke, being a biker, has even more reason to be concerned about his kidneys.
Would you do this?

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 05:55 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 01:40 AM   #2
lheene
Resident Denizen

Good thing his new kidney wasn't rejected by his body...
lheene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 01:44 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It was touch and go for a couple months. Readmitted to the hospital twice, but in the end it took.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:22 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No takers, huh? Should have put up a pole I guess.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:23 PM   #5
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I've never been faced with such a choice, but I would surely consider it.

Pay it forward...always pay it forward.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:25 PM   #6
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

i'd have to think long and hard on that one. probably 50/50.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:34 PM   #7
glatt

I'd like to think I'd help a stranger out, but in reality, I probably wouldn't. It would be too easy to think that it should be someone else's responsibility. Beside's I might need it.

It's kind of like crawling out onto thin ice to save someone that broke through. It might just end up killing you.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:47 PM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I wouldn't have to know the person, but I would have to have had ample time to observe their behavior and determine that they were good people and therefore worth it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:22 PM   #9
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

I might do this for someone I was close to, say a best friend or family member, but for someone I barely know? A janitor in my building, or my postman? Likely not. I wonder, deep down, what his motivations were. I don't mean sinister ones, but like maybe he was trying to make up for something 'bad' he did earlier. You know, sort of like trying to cleanse his karma or something. Whatever his reason, he DID it, and that's pretty dang cool.

[/hijack kind of]I am seriously considering being an incubaor for my brother and sister in law so that they can have a baby of their own. The 2 main reasons are #1, the sheer joy that a child can bring to two people, and #2 so my daughter can have a cousin. Would I do this for someone I barely knew? Hell no. Do you know what having a baby does to your body? But for them, I would sacrifice my MILF status because I know how incredible having a kid can be.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:35 PM   #10
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Not. Not to be selfish or self centered, but I would feel pretty damn stupid if I did that and one of my immediate family came up needing one. I wonder why Gold's family didn't heed to the cause? Maybe the poor guy has no family.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:24 PM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I'd have to say NO, too. A complete stranger isn't going to get my kidney. I guess this means I'm not like Jesus, coz, man, he'd probably do it.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 03:40 PM   #12
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
I guess this means I'm not like Jesus, coz, man, he'd probably do it.
You could be a female version of Jesus. Maybe a Jesusette.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:38 AM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
Not. Not to be selfish or self centered, but I would feel pretty damn stupid if I did that and one of my immediate family came up needing one. I wonder why Gold's family didn't heed to the cause? Maybe the poor guy has no family.
It's apparently not usual for the situation to be "no family willing to donate," especially when the intended recipient is African American. Tissue matching across races is much less likely, from what I understand from a friend's wife who used to be a transplant coordinator. This may be why the fellow had more early problems with possible rejection.

From "Living Legacy Registry"

Quote:
Can organs be given to different racial groups or individuals of opposite sex?

In most cases, race and gender are not factors. However, organ size is critical to match a donor heart, lung or liver with a recipient. Genetic makeup is a crucial factor when matching a kidney or pancreas donor and recipient. {emphasis added} Therefore, an individual of Asian descent may match better with a kidney donated from another Asian versus a different race—as will an African American to another African American. Cross-racial donations can, and do, happen with great success when matches are available.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 04:10 AM   #14
feesh13
Romantic Necromancer

If itwould help someone Iwould do it.

My firned works there. Hedoesnt personally know those guys but had heard of them. NOt that it has to do with much.
feesh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 07:43 AM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

Sometimes people suck very little. Thanks for the good news.